Active Now

Stu Spelling Bee
Discussion » Questions » Legal » Hawaii court rules 2nd amendment does not apply in Hawaii. The Spirit of Aloha trumps the Constitution?

Hawaii court rules 2nd amendment does not apply in Hawaii. The Spirit of Aloha trumps the Constitution?

How does the SCOTUS enforce their power to lower courts?

Posted - February 9

Responses

Another post in a vacuum. This post was edited by Spunky at February 9, 2024 9:18 PM MST
      February 9, 2024 8:26 AM MST

The HA court just ruled that SCOTUS was incorrect and 2nd amendment does not apply to Hawaiian people because it conflicts with the Spirit of Aloha. 

Google (Brave, Duck, etc) it.  And take your pick of sources.  Anything I post will be claimed biased.  
      February 9, 2024 9:47 AM MST

Where does Brave or Duck appear in your comment?  Do you have any idea what you're writing?
      February 9, 2024 11:16 AM MST

Those are search engines.   I do not Google anything. I Brave it or Duck it.   Google is Spyware.  Anyway do an internet search....it will come up. 
      February 9, 2024 4:59 PM MST

https://www.reuters.com/legal/government/hawaii-top-court-upholds-gun-laws-criticizes-us-supreme-court-2024-02-08/
      February 9, 2024 1:37 PM MST

Thanks.  Hours later, I saw that in my Yahoo feed.  
      February 9, 2024 5:59 PM MST

The Constitution applies to every citizen of the USA.  Second Amendment cases are Federal and a state's ruling has no bearing.  We don't have our Constitutional rights because our state allows it.  I haven't read anything about this so I'm answering in generality. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at February 9, 2024 9:18 PM MST
      February 9, 2024 11:05 AM MST

Seriously, the 2nd hasn't applied as written anywhere since before the First World War.

well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State ...

WELL REGULATED. Not a rabble in arms. State militias haven't existed for decades, the sole exception being the National Guard (the function of the Coast Guard being more akin to police service than military). If you're not in the National Guard, you're not part of a WELL REGULATED militia and the Second doesn't apply to you.
    Q E D
      February 11, 2024 5:29 AM MST

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. 

SCOTUS disagrees with you. 

2nd amendment is an individual right (THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE) and extends outside of just our homes. This post was edited by my2cents at February 11, 2024 8:16 AM MST
      February 11, 2024 8:13 AM MST