Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Do you like to dance? Do you care if you're good at it?

Do you like to dance? Do you care if you're good at it?

Posted - February 14

Responses

I love to dance, not to good anymore but moving to the beat just happens.  If i could, I'd dance anywhere anytime if the music moves me, however, I hold back in public, people would think I'm nuts. 

February 14, 2024 7:31 PM MST

I used to when I could. I was pretty good.
      February 15, 2024 7:43 AM MST

As a child, if my mom couldn't make me dance, nothing else can either.
      February 15, 2024 2:45 PM MST

No, not my thing.
      February 15, 2024 3:23 PM MST

Great clip BTW!  funny as heck.
      February 15, 2024 4:38 PM MST

Yes. 
    No, my dogs don't care and neither do I. 
      February 15, 2024 5:45 PM MST

Dance like there's nobody watching...except the dogs.
      February 15, 2024 6:04 PM MST

For sure. 
      February 15, 2024 6:20 PM MST

I love it.  Yes, I was always above average.  I love free style, bop, jitterbug, ball room, line dancing, and when appropriate can Texas two step with the best of 'em, but not anything like Latino dancing.  It's about fun for me.  My favorite is bop/swing to beach music.  Yes siree!!
      February 15, 2024 7:22 PM MST

Sounds like fun! 
      February 16, 2024 7:58 AM MST

I do like to dance. Classically-trained in ballet, tap, modern. I still perform now and then and still I care about my performances.
    I've choreographed dances for dancers. Two dances I choreographed won honors. :)
    (I choose not to be my own dances that I've choreographed.)
      February 18, 2024 2:49 PM MST

You are a man of many talents!  This post was edited by Jane S at February 19, 2024 6:32 PM MST
      February 19, 2024 7:59 AM MST

Thanks. Maybe one of these days I'll look at my life more that way.
    I tend to think that I could've been better in life if I focused more on one thing. But, yes - - in various things, I've still done well. Many things interest me and I'm fortunate to be able to be paid at things I enjoy doing.
    (I hope that doesn't come across as braggartly.)
      February 19, 2024 6:34 PM MST

Doing what makes ourselves and others happy is the best way to live, in my opinion. 
      February 19, 2024 9:49 PM MST

Very well-said, Thanks. I'm there. :)
      February 20, 2024 7:06 AM MST

I would like to be able to dance well, or even moderately well, but I have never had any dancing ability or skill my entire life. Couple that with the expectation that many people have about which folks are supposed to have so-called natural or instinctI’ve dancing talents and it’s been a brutal and somewhat painful reality for me socially. I care greatly that I am not good at it. None of my public attempts have borne well for me at all, so decades ago,I stopped trying them altogether.

Dancing, along with singing, are talents that I wish I had either been born with or could have learned/developed, and I really regret that it never happened.

(Even though the following are not the only reasons for my regrets, they certainly rank among the top ones: let’s face the fact that many girls and women truly appreciate guys who can dance very well or sing very well or can do both very well.  I cannot lie and say it doesn’t bother me that I’m lousy at both.)

~

February 18, 2024 11:18 PM MST

Some people can dance, some people can punctuate. 
      February 19, 2024 8:01 AM MST

I have enjoyed dancing in the past, long ago leaping about to rock & pop so no set moves, common-time only, no co-ordination or any skill needed at all!

Though my opportunities are rare I enjoy folk-dancing, or barn dances, often called "ceilidhs".

I think adopting the Gaelic name a rather pretentious recent development if used outside of Scotland. I'm told too, by a folk-music enthusiast, that genuine ceilidhs do not have callers for the steps, either, because everyone is expected to know them for each dance introduced. Presumably you need attend dancing-classes if you want to take part in the events.

Whereas at a barn-dance (more likely held in a village-hall or a pub function room than a barn!) you are not expected to be a brilliant dancer, and anyway folk music and dances are very fluid, not rigidly set in books and classes. So each dance is introduced by the caller describing each move, sometimes walking a volunteer couple through it to demonstrate, then calling each move as it comes in the dance itself.

I do not know any ballroom styles (waltz, quick-step, etc.), but no longer have the suppleness anyway.

My last girlfriend was in a female Morris side with links to a mainly-male side, and they did try to persuade me to take it up, but I don't have the co-ordination, rapid reactions or the memory for a set of formal display-dances.
      February 19, 2024 1:27 AM MST

I like to give the kilt a fling. Prefer to stick to familiar dances that I know well. 
      February 19, 2024 6:42 AM MST

Watch how high you fling that kilt!
      February 19, 2024 7:57 AM MST

It's no fun if you worry about how high it flings. 
      February 20, 2024 2:23 AM MST