Discussion » Questions » Relationships » My ex's girlfriend insists on washing my kids' clothes even though she knows I'm allergic to the detergent...

My ex's girlfriend insists on washing my kids' clothes even though she knows I'm allergic to the detergent...

I have sensitivities, so the scent makes me sneezy, my eyes water, etc. and I break out in a rash when I touch the clothes. I asked my ex just to send their clothes home dirty and he okayed it. The kids have warned her. She still does it. Sometimes they come back as a hybrid between overly-potent detergent and cigarette smoke. It takes me dozens of washes to get the crap off their clothes.

Vote Now: Is She...

A) An evil B hell-bent on making me miserable.

B) A lovely, thoughtful lady who is trying to help and obviously doesn't understand that she's negatively impacting me.

C) Who cares what her motives are? Give her a new shirt covered in itching powder as a gift and see if she catches on.

D) Chill out JA. If this is your biggest problem with the chick, you're doing ok. Be quiet and go back to washing the clothes for the 10th time.

E) Something else. (Please explain.)

Posted - July 3, 2016

Responses

• Probably A... once I could see it being an honest mistake, repeated attempts to do so is being passive aggressive and rude.

If she respected you, she'd respect your stuff. A person who does not respect your stuff and your children's stuff.. does not respect you.

July 11, 2016 8:29 PM MDT

A

July 17, 2016 9:34 AM MDT

That could be it as well. It's an interesting take on it.

My kids have their own complaints about the lady, but nothing that I feel is worthy of me stepping in on. It's all intrapersonal stuff, nothing that I find to be physically or emotionally harmful. In those cases, I just tell them it's something they need to discuss with their dad. 

July 17, 2016 5:20 PM MDT

lol the pins would do it, too. 

The kids are still pretty young and the chemicals don't come out in a single wash. I often find myself washing them 10 times (seriously) and doing a combination of vinegar soaks and baking soda soaks to try to pull it out. But, I did tell my ex that I'll be bagging any laundered clothes and sending them back with the kiddos the next time around, so I'm not exposed to it. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.

July 17, 2016 5:23 PM MDT

I know she doesn't respect me, and I don't have a whole lot of respect for her either, but I'm kind of surprised that it could be a genuine lack of civility. I mean, I know she and I are never going to be friends, but I've done a fair job of upholding the peace and encouraging the kids to accept her. I can't fathom why it would be an intentional thing, though there are a few theories on here that make sense.

July 17, 2016 5:27 PM MDT

July 17, 2016 5:27 PM MDT