Discussion » Questions » Relationships » My ex's girlfriend insists on washing my kids' clothes even though she knows I'm allergic to the detergent...

My ex's girlfriend insists on washing my kids' clothes even though she knows I'm allergic to the detergent...

I have sensitivities, so the scent makes me sneezy, my eyes water, etc. and I break out in a rash when I touch the clothes. I asked my ex just to send their clothes home dirty and he okayed it. The kids have warned her. She still does it. Sometimes they come back as a hybrid between overly-potent detergent and cigarette smoke. It takes me dozens of washes to get the crap off their clothes.

Vote Now: Is She...

A) An evil B hell-bent on making me miserable.

B) A lovely, thoughtful lady who is trying to help and obviously doesn't understand that she's negatively impacting me.

C) Who cares what her motives are? Give her a new shirt covered in itching powder as a gift and see if she catches on.

D) Chill out JA. If this is your biggest problem with the chick, you're doing ok. Be quiet and go back to washing the clothes for the 10th time.

E) Something else. (Please explain.)

Posted - July 3, 2016

Responses

I don't mean to add wood to the fire, but I don't like her.  She is insensitive.  She has a sensitivity chip missing.  If I knew you had issues, I would NOT do this to you.  She could at least tell you to send your own detergent along with the kids and she can use yours.   She could at least offer to do that one.  There is no excuse for this except horrid BITCH.

Sorry.  You know I am right.

What's her address?  KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
      July 3, 2016 9:23 PM MDT

Don't send any clothes when your children go visit their dad.  He can buy them clothes for when they are with him. Your kids can wear home whatever they wore when they left.   You can hose them off in the front yard before they enter the house.  ;)

July 3, 2016 9:40 PM MDT

lol I love you, Sharonna.

July 3, 2016 10:00 PM MDT

lol Somehow I don't think that'll promote a healthy atmosphere between the two homes.

July 3, 2016 10:01 PM MDT

Well, she IS. 

July 3, 2016 10:14 PM MDT

RIght ON Thrifty.   It is not good to put the kids in the middle, but something along those lines would do wonders. 

July 3, 2016 10:16 PM MDT

If the situation has been explained to her,A and a stubborn evil B at that!

That being said,C seems sooo appealing!So A and C! :O

July 4, 2016 2:26 AM MDT

A) An evil woman who is hell-bent on making you miserable.

It's also childish and petty of her. I do, however like your response of having the clothes sent back to your place dirty and you washing them yourself. It shows you're willing to compromise in a way that takes the burden off of her hands. If she's still continuing the same practices after such an offer, that's further proof of her vindictiveness.
    ~
      July 4, 2016 7:40 AM MDT

Sharonna, sending a box of detergent with the children is a GREAT idea! I didn't even think of that, but it's a meet-me-halfway solution. You're tops, Kiddo!
    ~
      July 4, 2016 7:43 AM MDT

You said you talked to the Dad and he agreed not to wash them. Mention it again. Nicely... I know she is probably just trying to be helpful etc. Ask if you could send detergent.
    If that does not fix it then go with the only having a specific clothes that go to Dad's, tell the kids to put them in a plastic bag and take them directly to their room so you don't have contact with the detergent.
      July 4, 2016 7:44 AM MDT

Lol! "Hose them off in the front yard". I love it!

:)
      July 4, 2016 7:44 AM MDT

July 4, 2016 9:30 AM MDT

July 4, 2016 9:30 AM MDT

I wasn't trying to be funny other than the hosing them off part, and they really could disrobe before coming into the house and you could take their garments straight to the washer.  It seems to me a logical and easy way to completely eliminate the issue. 

July 4, 2016 9:33 AM MDT

As a prankster by nature, I vote 'C' all the way.

But as a Mom, I have to go with 'E.' It pays to be the bigger person for the kids. Don't give her the satisfaction of knowing you made a big stink about it... no pun intended.

Instead, maybe you could send some clothes for the kids that will strictly serve them at Dad's? Punt-stunt neutralized; Mom takes the highroad (great example for the kids, Mom) and your former half owes you a solid in the future... The high ground feels good, right? lol

That said, if your allergies are that bad, the kids may have similar problems. If she causes a medical emergency for one of them, the gloves come off! I fully support taking her downtown in that situation!

July 4, 2016 9:41 AM MDT

lol I try not to think of her that way because, chances are, I'm stuck with her in our lives for a long time to come, but it's nice to have an outside party look at the situation and size it up that way. ;)

July 4, 2016 3:19 PM MDT

Yes, I know what you meant.  You answer is perfectly logical, but I am wary of doing anything that could set off a dispute, so I'm willing to give a little to maintain the peace. 

July 4, 2016 4:00 PM MDT

lol

July 4, 2016 4:00 PM MDT

• E... she's trying to kill you and take your place. Don't let her do it JA!

July 4, 2016 4:02 PM MDT

Thank you, I think. It's nice to know that I'm not being a nutty ex, but at the same time... yikes. 

July 4, 2016 4:02 PM MDT

Oh A because she sounds like a horrible person & C just because sometimes Karma needs a little help. I am sorry that you are experiencing this. I know plenty of people that suffer from sensitivities. I have a friend who has to be cautious around certain scents. She has to use a special detergent, no candles, no perfumes, ect. My son can't be around certain scents & I can't burn candles in my home.

I am not sure why some people have to be so inconsiderate towards others. That really just burns my bacon. I hope your situation does improve. Remember there is always option C. :)

July 4, 2016 4:08 PM MDT

I have talked to him a couple of times. We talked about the clothes initially, but the kids were also taking their comforters from their beds along- their request- they said it helped them sleep better because it felt more like home when they had familiar things. My youngest caught a stomach bug while there and the blankets pretty much had to be washed. My ex made a point of telling me what had happened and why he washed them, which I totally understood. No hard feelings whatsoever. So, there's no question that they know. When their bags come home, I'm so sensitive to it that I can smell it throughout the house and my allergies start up. (It's a sinus thing with the scent and a rash with direct contact.) Last time they came home, I smelled it right away and I asked and my daughter said, "So-and-so washed them again. We told her not to, but she didn't listen." I just told them it wasn't their responsibility- that I appreciated that they tried, but not to worry about it. I may wind up bagging their clothes when they come home, though, and just sending the same ones back if I have to. I will probably give my ex a head's up that that's what I'm doing so he gets it and there aren't any hard feelings.

July 4, 2016 4:13 PM MDT

Thanks. Yes, I may have to go with separate clothes.

You made a good point with the allergies being passed down, though. My oldest (now 18) has them and he's way worse than me. We have to keep benadryl at home all the time for his flare-ups. I don't think his started to show up until he was 8 or 9, so it's very possible my youngest two will develop them as well. At this point, the only seem to have seasonal allergies, but that could morph into what my oldest and I have soon. Yeah, if she sets anything off with them, the gloves will come off. It's one thing to mess with me, but the kids? Grr... 

July 4, 2016 4:20 PM MDT

LMAO Well, this is the woman who had a lengthy affair with him while he was still my husband, so...

July 4, 2016 4:24 PM MDT