Discussion » Questions » Legal » Is this one of the most egregious decisions? Judge Eileen Cannon tosses Trump documents case, ruling prosecutor unlawfully appointed.

Is this one of the most egregious decisions? Judge Eileen Cannon tosses Trump documents case, ruling prosecutor unlawfully appointed.

Florida-based U.S. District Aileen Cannon, who was nominated by Trump, ruled that Special Counsel Jack Smith, who is leading the prosecution, was unlawfully appointed to his role and did not have the authority to bring the case.

Posted - July 15

Responses

At least one SCOTUS Justice agrees with her.   And placed the opinion with supporting evidence in writing.  No doubt this helped Cannon's decision. 

July 15, 2024 8:47 AM MDT

I take it you're referring to Thomas.  He doesn't belong on the Supreme Court any more than Cannon belongs in her position.  I wouldn't give you ten cents for either of them.
      July 15, 2024 9:04 AM MDT

Yes, it was Justice Thomas.  He is truly the best Justice we have at the moment.  He has stepped up since the death of Justice Scalia.  It is quite ironic that Biden was the one to lead the charge against Thomas during his appointment hearings. 
      July 15, 2024 9:16 AM MDT

Clarence Thomas is, and always has been, a scumbag.
      July 15, 2024 10:54 AM MDT

Your opinion.  My differs....no surprise there. 
      July 15, 2024 11:12 AM MDT

It just proves that there is no longer any justice in the US legal system.  The rich and elite can do anything - and get away with it.
      July 15, 2024 9:44 AM MDT

Been that way for decades....where you been?   Rich, elite and also depends on which side of the aisle you are on....
      July 15, 2024 11:14 AM MDT

It has been quite the week for Trump. First he gets a boo boo on his ear that he will milk for all that it is worth. And know this Canning ruling. Trump will be doing his goofy YMCA dance tonight. During the time Trump had the classified documents at mar a logo there was a dramatic in cress in the number of deaths or missing of American and Americas allies operatives and spies. So they will be rolling over in their graves tonight. Cheers!

July 15, 2024 9:54 AM MDT

Well, I guess the right will start calling to have the charges against Hunter Biden dropped for the same reason. fair is fair.
      July 15, 2024 10:49 AM MDT

Fine with me....we should follow the Constitution.
      July 15, 2024 11:27 AM MDT

There's no doubt in my mind that will happen.
      July 15, 2024 11:28 AM MDT

Well, now Jack Smith can appeal which will probably get her thrown off the case and a new judge will be assigned. I'm sure if Trump is found guilty it will be appealed all the way up to the Supreme Court and then we will find out if we have enough corrupt Supreme Court judges to overturn 100+ years of precedent that has survived several challenges already. 
      July 15, 2024 5:34 PM MDT

100+ yrs of precedent???  The department was approved by Congress up until the Starr investigation (Clinton).   Then the Congress did not renew the office authorization.   Now if they want that office Congress can create and fund that office as the Constitution says to do. 
      July 15, 2024 5:42 PM MDT

She never should have had this case in the first place.  It's far too complicated for such an inexperienced, biased, judge.  
      July 15, 2024 6:24 PM MDT

She did pretty well.   And if he appeals, need to remember  this is the 11th district which Thomas precides over. 
      July 15, 2024 6:33 PM MDT

Circuit.

For the District of Columbia Circuit, John G. Roberts, Jr., Chief Justice,
    For the First Circuit, Stephen Breyer, Associate Justice,
    For the Second Circuit, Sonia Sotomayor, Associate Justice,
    For the Third Circuit, Samuel A. Alito, Jr., Associate Justice,
    For the Fourth Circuit, John G. Roberts, Jr., Chief Justice,
    For the Fifth Circuit, Samuel A. Alito, Jr., Associate Justice,
    For the Sixth Circuit, Brett M. Kavanaugh, Associate Justice,
    For the Seventh Circuit, Amy Coney Barrett, Associate Justice,
    For the Eighth Circuit, Brett M. Kavanaugh, Associate Justice,
    For the Ninth Circuit, Elena Kagan, Associate Justice,
    For the Tenth Circuit, Neil M. Gorsuch, Associate Justice,
    For the Eleventh Circuit, Clarence Thomas, Associate Justice,
    For the Federal Circuit, John G. Roberts, Jr., Chief Justice.

The main thing about circuit assignment is the decision about whether the Supremes will even accept a case for review. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at July 16, 2024 3:36 PM MDT
      July 16, 2024 12:09 PM MDT

Right so it the appeals court overrules her...Trump appeals and it goes to SCOTUS. 
      July 16, 2024 3:37 PM MDT

Trump would be able to ask the Supreme Court to review the decision. The case would go to the associate justice assigned to the appellate court (the circuit) from which the case came. He or she filters out the cases that do not qualify for SC review.  If he finds the case qualifies, then the court votes on whether to review the case.      The court may or may not accept the case for review.  In the subject case, being that the basis for the decision was constitutionality, I cannot imagine the court not accepting it should it find its way to the Supremes.  But, it is not guaranteed. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at July 17, 2024 1:11 PM MDT
      July 17, 2024 11:48 AM MDT

No.
      July 16, 2024 12:06 PM MDT