Active Now

my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Can someone explain how tariffs and mass deportation are supposed to be good for consumers?

Can someone explain how tariffs and mass deportation are supposed to be good for consumers?

Another member said this will lower inflation and get prices down. But, I have doubts.

Posted - September 15

Responses

Tariffs will massively INCREASE prices because the West just can't do things as cheaply as Asia. Sweat shops are illegal in civilised countries. It may bring manufacturing back onshore but the inflation hit could well be catastrophic.
    Deportation will temporarily reduce demand, but it will ultimately increase prices because the supply chain breaks down. They do the stuff that the slaves used to do, the jobs you're "too good" for. COVID blasted hell out of supply chains worldwide, it's why construction companies are failing. It's slowly recovering but throwing a wrench into it will NOT help.
      September 15, 2024 7:26 AM MDT

Around a quarter of all US farm workers are undocumented. Deportation could well affect the cost of food and/or put farmers out business. Add to that, tariffs on imported food which will get passed to the consumer, and it doesn't seem like these policies are in our best interest. 
      September 15, 2024 8:06 AM MDT

Tarriffs give manufacturers in the US a chance to compete with the overseas companies who abuse their workers and do not follow the same regulations we do. And causes some manufacturers to move their manufacturers facilities to the US to avoid the tariff.

Deporting illegals frees up jobs, housing and reduces crime. 

Together this creates jobs, lowers the demand for goods/services and increases the supply of American goods/services.   ALL of which lowers costs for Americans. This post was edited by my2cents at September 15, 2024 8:04 AM MDT
      September 15, 2024 8:03 AM MDT

Tariffs end up being paid by consumers - not the country where the stuff comes from.  Manufactures wont move back to America as it costs too much to do business here (profits come before anything else).  They will simply move to another country (where there are no tariffs) before they'll move back here.

Deporting illegals won't free up many jobs.  Many jobs that "illegals" do are jobs that "citizens" do not want or are not willing to do.

September 15, 2024 8:24 AM MDT

In some countries,  the gov does help subsidize the tarriffs.  But yes, it gets passed on....equalizing the US makers sales opportunity.   While also giving them an possibly of being able to drive their own costs down via making larger purchases etc.  We want the money to flow to and through the American companies.

Jobs that American won't do because of the PAY.  And if the illegals will do at a lower wage.  Often even under the table. Employers have no reason to pay an American more.    I do not employee illegals.  But I am familiar with how it is often done. I was told about a very large business would hire ONE illegal to do a job as a contractor. And pay that ONE illegal a lump sum payment and that one worker would distribute pay to the other illegal workers. I know Americans will do the job these illegals were doing.  It was a job I did before...

It does free up jobs.  It does free up housing.  It does remove gangs of illegals. There are plenty of Americans willing to work and work hard and they should not have to compete with illegals for jobs. 
      September 15, 2024 9:04 AM MDT

You picked fruits and vegetables?  You working in a meat-packing plant or chicken plant?  Somehow, I doubt it.  
      September 15, 2024 9:36 AM MDT

Illegals take more jobs than just agricultural.   I did not work at Tyson.  But I do know Americans who did.   They take a lot of blue collor jobs....

I worked in a nursing home as a housekeeper.  Cleaning floors etc.  The extremely large company (not a nursing home) that I know of was using them to for their floor maintenance.  
      September 15, 2024 11:11 AM MDT

Well, perhaps if those Americans who are in low paying jobs got a better education, they wouldn't be consigned to mopping floors, plucking chicken feathers or picking fruits and veggies.
      September 15, 2024 12:03 PM MDT

If we have to pay workers more, then won't that cause prices to go up? 
      September 15, 2024 11:42 AM MDT

Can you expound on how paying workers more would cause prices to rise?
      September 15, 2024 12:04 PM MDT

No, it was just a thought.
      September 15, 2024 12:22 PM MDT

I understand targeted tariffs, but if there is an across the board tariff on all imports as has been proposed,  won't that raise consumer costs and perhaps cause other countries to impose retaliatory tariffs and reduce our exports?

September 15, 2024 11:01 AM MDT

Any country that puts a tariff on our products should recieve an equal tarriff on their products.    It may indeed result in a back and forth until we get to real free trade deals.  But a tariff on ours but not on theirs is not free trade....it is just bad business. And we should fight back against it.  For too long we had politicians who would not tackle the problem.  And told the American people that is just how the world of business works. (BUSH W) Trump is the first to try and fight for the American jobs still here....proved it does not have to be.  He killed the "free trade deal" they were pushing in 2015. By opposing it and forcing Hillary to switch to also opposing it.   

I know what happened when they passed NAFTA...I watched as family and friends were forced to train their Mexican replacements before the factory moved to Mexico.  

And I say forget the "send my job overseas" trade deals and bring on the tarriffs.  
      September 15, 2024 11:24 AM MDT

Yes, but then every country that we put a tariff on should put a tariff on us. Doesn't that make it harder for US companies to sell goods internationally? Again, the proposed tariffs are across the board.
      September 15, 2024 11:39 AM MDT

We put a tariff on them, they put a tariff on us is like an eye for an eye until everyone is blind.
      September 15, 2024 12:07 PM MDT

Across the board tarriffs combined with REMOVAL of all income tax.....yes I would support that.   It will not pass. Not even close. 

I would also support the tariffs in combination with a actual FED sales tax.  With the REMOVAL of federal taxes.  The policy is called the FAIR tax and I am fine with it. Any even more with the tarriffs.
      September 15, 2024 12:08 PM MDT

Prior to the 16th Amendment (with 2 temporary exceptions), the US relied on tariffs for revenue. I would have to do some studying for the rationale as to why the change was made.

I don't know how fair the FAIR tax is since the percentage of income we spend is higher if we make less money. 
      September 15, 2024 12:19 PM MDT

It gives an allowance for personal essentials per person.  I don't remember the details exactly (it has been years since I last looked into it...2008 Mike Huckabee supported it back then)   Again, if we went to that we would have to pass an Amendment to outlaw Fed income tax because our politicians would eventually hit us with both if they could.  

FAIR tax gets everyone in a tax payer. Those being paid under the table, illegals, even tourists.  
      September 15, 2024 1:16 PM MDT

We already have income tax plus tariffs. And if there are deductions and allowances, we might as well have income tax. It also seems like a good opportunity for a thriving black market.
      September 15, 2024 1:50 PM MDT

Because it takes the game out of the system.  If you spend you pay tax. Everybody....
      September 16, 2024 5:05 AM MDT

Travel and tourism brought in two TRILION dollars to the US economy.  What is the estimate the US would derive from tariffs?
    • "Based on actual revenue collections data, trade war tariffs have directly increased tax collections by $200 to $300 annually per US household, on average.
    • Candidate Trump has proposed significant tariff hikes as part of his presidential campaign; we estimate that if imposed, his proposed tariff increases would hike taxes by another $524 billion annually and shrink GDP by at least 0.8 percent, the capital stock by 0.7 percent, and employment by 684,000 full-time equivalent jobs. Our estimates do not capture the effects of retaliation, nor the additional harms that would stem from starting a global trade war.
    • Academic and governmental studies find the Trump-Biden tariffs have raised prices and reduced output and employment, producing a net negative impact on the US economy.
    https://taxfoundation.org/research/all/federal/trump-tariffs-biden-tariffs/

By all means, let's get into a tariff was so it can lower our GDP, raise prices, raise consumer costs and put people out of work.  I think that's a very effective thing for the Republicans to do. 

(Too bad there isn't a sarcasm font!)
      September 15, 2024 4:56 PM MDT