Active Now

Randy D
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Have you ever noticed how old people your age look these days?

Have you ever noticed how old people your age look these days?

The mirror is telling me lies. So are the scales. I'm certain that publishers are printing in ever smaller fonts just to spite me, and I'm considering changing my name to Rice Krispies because every time I move I go snap, crackle and pop.
I'm not even a Boomer, I'm Gen X!

Posted - 2 hours ago

Responses

Actually, no one thinks I'm as old as I am.
      September 20, 2024 7:26 PM MDT

Ditto, but even though I look a little younger than I am, I still look older than I feel I should. My better half looks younger than I do which is unfair because she's actually a year older. I'm a worrier, she's not.
    I SOUND a lot younger, I have customers constantly telling me I don't sound old enough to be a grandfather (of three plus one step). I'm told I have a good voice for radio, I reply that I also have a good FACE for radio.
    That said, I feel every second of my 55 years.
      September 20, 2024 7:35 PM MDT

Well, some of this is directly related to genetics.  My dad had very few wrinkles on his face up to his death at 93 and he had a full head of wavy hair, too.  My mom, on the other hand, was more prone to wrinkles.  Fortunately, I took after my dad.  The shape of your face also has bearing - a full face (which I have) tends to look younger.  My sisters and I are all fortunate to have strong voices, something that seems to fade as one ages.  
      September 20, 2024 7:53 PM MDT

"Face like the map of Ireland" - Celtic genes, I look like my mother in male (the native Australian is on my father's side and doesn't show). She didn't look her age either until right at the end, ravaged by cancer. Both of my grandfathers died with a full head of hair, so that's also a factor (my 30yo son takes after his maternal grandfather, my father-in-law was bald when I met my wife and Tim is going that way).
    My better half also has the Celtic (round) face, inherited from her Welsh mother. This post was edited by Slartibartfast at September 20, 2024 8:51 PM MDT
      September 20, 2024 8:08 PM MDT

My dad looked Italian and my mom looked Irish.  Neither was that - Russian. Polish and Austrian.
      September 20, 2024 8:52 PM MDT

The Celts iriginated in the Caucusus mountains before moving westward, so there's Celtic influence in Russia and Poland as well. Not so much in Austria, they're Hun.
      September 20, 2024 9:12 PM MDT

Yes, ever since I had my cataracts removed, my friends and family look much older.
      September 20, 2024 9:13 PM MDT