Active Now

Zack
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Transportation » Have you ever had a close call?

Have you ever had a close call?

Posted - October 13

Responses

Yes 30 yrs ago as a pregnant freshman in college while on my way to class, an 90 yr old man ran the yield sign. Slamming I to the side of my small tin can of a car. The last think I remember was turning my head and seeing car coming I was surrounded by other cars so had no where to go. My car did somersaults down the road landing at  light pole. 
    I awoke in the hospital ER strapped to the bed, in pain and very nauseous (I had horrible morning sickness with all my pregnancies) My MIL a former med tech demanded they give me something for it. 

After x-rays it was determined 3 three vertebre in  my neck were "crushed" and surgery was necessary.  They moved me to another hospital more equipped to take care of me. They attached what they referred to as weights to my head in my temples. I can still feel were they were attached today. The weights were to prevent my from moving my head around and causing further injuries.  
    They did an ultrasound on my baby and she was fine just moving and kicking. I was towards the end of my first trimester which likely helped her not being impacted by the accident.  
    The Dr said I would be a first, having this type of surgery while pregnant for him. He had done both separately many times but it was a first together. 
    The surgery required fusing the vertbrea together and implanting a steel plate with screws to support them. The doctors went in through the front of my neck and made it so the scar is in my neck creases. The x-ray looks pretty interesting. 
    They also had to stitch my eyebrow up and reattach my earlobe. That Dr did an excellent job.  You cannot even see the scar from stitches. 

I am blessed to be walking. The only thing I have is early arthritis in my neck from it.  And my daughter is unaffected from it, she will turn 30 next month. 

I also had a battle with sepsis that required a week in the hospital a few years back. 
      October 16, 2024 7:09 AM MDT

Wow, that is awful, so glad you made it and your daughter as well. 
      October 16, 2024 7:17 AM MDT

Thank you. 
      October 16, 2024 10:20 AM MDT

Well, my definition of a close call, is escaping major consequences from what could have been really bad. Sounds like just the opposite.  Nevertheless, that sounds really bad and scary. Glad you came out of it as well as you did.
      October 16, 2024 7:28 AM MDT

So possible death, being paralyzed, physical deformation, and  loss of a baby...are those somehow not major consequences that would have been really bad that were escaped?
      October 16, 2024 7:40 AM MDT

I meant, the way  viewed it, that you went through some pretty bad stuff and did NOT escape major consequences although not worst possible outcome. I see where you're coming from and I apologize for the misunderstanding. 
      October 16, 2024 8:45 AM MDT

So no consequences.  

I as a young driver, was very nervous going by semitrucks.  While on the interstate, one turned on his blinker and I thought I was in its blind spot. So I stupidly slammed on my brakes thinking he was going to run me off the road.  My car did about 3 donuts down the I-57 until it finally came to a stop in the middle of the road.  The truck and the other cars simply when around me onnthe merry way.   I put the car in gear and drove on home. 
    I still get nervous by semis but I handle it much better.  I am never on their side.  I make sure I  either behind or in front of them.

Another time, my husband was driving and did realize a truck was at a dead stop in the middle of the road.  He slowed down by could not stop in time so he drove down the steep hill off the road. I thought we were going to flip over.After stopping, we helped the truck get to the side of the road to prevent anyone else from doing the same thing. 
      October 16, 2024 10:47 AM MDT

Thanks for sharing.  Those were some scary close calls for sure!!
      October 16, 2024 12:02 PM MDT

Never mind walking, you're blessed to not be a tetra. Joni Eareckson broke ONE vertebra in her neck.
    My fusion is low, L5-S1, and I'M lucky to be walking. Your outcome is little short of miraculous.
      October 16, 2024 3:44 PM MDT

Yes, I was highly blessed that day. 
      October 16, 2024 4:14 PM MDT