Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » What are some of the potential drawbacks of eating old celery?

What are some of the potential drawbacks of eating old celery?

Mind you, it’s neither wilted nor rotten, it’s just been in the refrigerator for a while and isn’t as daisy-fresh as it could be. I don’t like throwing away food, I consider that to be akin to sinning, and the fiber celery provides surely can’t be greatly reduced by it just being a bit old. 
  ~

Posted - 3 hours ago

Responses

Eating old celery has been known to cause slight dementia in mayonnaise-deficient patients.
      October 14, 2024 8:46 PM MDT

Who are you again? I don’t recognize you, I don’t think I know you at all. What’s my name, why am I here, what are all those Grammar Police commendation awards doing on my walls, and why do they have Randall D Randall listed as the recipient? Where’s my oatmeal? I’m so confused. 

You should be leaving me alone; your cats are trying to talk to you and you’re just ignoring them. Grrrrrrrr. 
      ~

October 14, 2024 8:53 PM MDT

If it's more than a week old, it's definitely wilted - perhaps not visibly but it will have lost some of its crunch. And the B group and C vitamins start to degrade from the moment it's culled, but the vitamin K and A should not be affected.
    Probably safe to eat unless it's bendy, discoloured or the centres are starting to become hollow.

I got this from tastingtable.com, we don't have celery in the house - my wife has a thyroid condition and celery is contraindicated for her, I'm not a fan of it either so we don't buy it.
      October 14, 2024 10:42 PM MDT