Active Now

Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » History » Do historical references include any tilde-related citings, and if so, why wasn’t I notified?

Do historical references include any tilde-related citings, and if so, why wasn’t I notified?



Posted - September 7

Responses


  • 11001
    1002 - The Tilde Rebellion (lazy monks wanted a shorter way to copy parchments - LOL)
    1844 - The Cincinnati Tilde Skirmish (Cincinnati Pete accused of selling pirated tildes; his gang shot up the town and, accidentally, Pete)
    2014 - The Great Tilde Heist (2.4 million tildes were stolen from a old printing museum; still no arrests despite the $500,000 reward)  


    For the first two, I would surmise you slept through history classes.  As for that last one... let's just say your "obsessive" tilde fetish bears close scrutiny.
      September 7, 2026 1:16 PM MDT
    3

  • 3357
    LMAO
      September 23, 2026 5:30 AM MDT
    2

  • 2330
    I'm really sorry I done shit scared you off with my assholey misogenistic posting about the monster and Mary you see what an idle mind does Honeydew? This post was edited by CosmicWunderkind at October 4, 2026 5:38 AM MDT
      October 4, 2026 5:37 AM MDT
    0

  • 17379
    Humour aside, tildes were used to indicate contractions in the Middle Ages, to save expensive vellum and ink. For example, the commonly used words anno domini were frequently abbreviated to A° Dñi, with an elevated terminal and a contraction mark placed over the "n", such a mark could denote the omission of one letter or several. The Domesday Book, commissioned by Bill the Bastard, aka King William I of England,  is highly abbreviated in this fashion.
      September 17, 2026 7:28 AM MDT
    2

  • 54061


      And all of this was kept from me for what reason? Grrrrr. 


      September 18, 2026 11:20 AM MDT
    2

  • 3357
    The reason, my dear, is top secret!
      September 23, 2026 5:29 AM MDT
    1

  • 54061
      September 23, 2026 10:14 AM MDT
    1

  • 3357
    Of course, at some point, I might be persuaded to divulge a "hint" at what the reason might be........for a small fee, a favor of sorts......maybe. :   )
      September 23, 2026 11:42 AM MDT
    1

  • 54061

     

     

      (Cough, cough.)
      ~

      September 23, 2026 1:01 PM MDT
    1