Active Now

Element 99
Danilo_G
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Legal » Did you know Germany is considered among the strictest in gun control in the world?

Did you know Germany is considered among the strictest in gun control in the world?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/least-25-injured-mass-shooting-161518404...

And yet a person got a gun and killed 25 people.....

Posted - June 23, 2016

Responses

• Gun control will never ever stop all gun deaths ... if someone is determined to shoot someone they will find the means eventually ... but having a limited supply of guns available does make it harder and certainly removed that ability to get angry and start shooting just because I can

June 23, 2016 5:53 PM MDT

I know their leader is a piece of global garbage who has brought in roughly over a millin Muslim refugees, it is outright treason and will probably cause Germany to implode within the next ten years.
      June 23, 2016 6:03 PM MDT

How many is that this year for Germany?

June 23, 2016 6:09 PM MDT

They are still reeling from WWII and the devastation committed. They have feelings and hearts and souls and have taken the lesson that was forced upon them very seriously. So would YOU.  So, should all of us. 

June 23, 2016 6:11 PM MDT

Just goes to show the fallacy of pushing for gun control laws. A criminally violent person will always find a way to get a gun.
      June 23, 2016 6:12 PM MDT

Imagine that, one of the world's richest nations, taking in refugees from one of the world's most oppressive regimes, during one of the bloodiest civil wars ever. Disgusting.

June 23, 2016 6:18 PM MDT

No, it shows confirmation bias of someone who doesn't like the idea of gun control laws. It's like saying global climate change doesn't exist, because it snowed really hard this winter.

Also, notice how nobody actually died in this event, other than the shooter himself?

June 23, 2016 6:21 PM MDT

No, your comment shows that you know nothing about me or how I think. I didn't say anything about climate change, in fact I believe it exists. I also never said anything about not liking the idea of gun control laws - all I was saying is that I don't believe they're effective, and the incident in Germany proves my point.

You should try to avoid assuming things about people you don't know. When you ASSUME, you make an ASS of U and ME.
      June 23, 2016 6:28 PM MDT

I'm not assuming anything about your position on climate change. In fact, if you believe climate change exists, then you know that a heavy snowstorm doesn't change the reality of climate change. Similarly, the event of a single mass shooting, does not prove the inefficacy of gun control.

What you need to look at is the rate of things like mass shootings over a period of time, adjusted for population. The per capita death rate from mass shootings is nearly 4 times higher in the US as in Germany. The frequency of mass shootings is 6 times higher in the US than in Germany:

http://crimeresearch.org/2015/06/comparing-death-rates-from-mass-public-shootings-in-the-us-and-europe/

How much of the difference is due to gun control, it's hard to say. But it's ridiculous to say on the basis of 1 single event, that gun control doesn't work.

June 23, 2016 6:31 PM MDT

Are you trolling for Ammosexuals ???  Hang on, they'll sure take the bait !

June 23, 2016 6:42 PM MDT

Notice how the headline is 25 injured - no one was killed except the shooter himself. Horrific, but nowhere near the scale of the shootings in the US over the past year alone.

June 23, 2016 6:42 PM MDT

I have looked at mass shootings over time - they're fairly impossible to miss, and that's partly how I arrived at my opinion. I'm not saying it on the basis of one event. Once again, you made an unfounded assumption about me and my thought process. Why do you think an educated, thoughtful person would be so simplistic?
      June 23, 2016 6:54 PM MDT

Well if you look at the rates between US and Germany, what do you make of that?

June 23, 2016 7:01 PM MDT

LOL

June 23, 2016 7:09 PM MDT

Don't know. All I know is that gun control laws wouldn't prevent shootings any more than drug laws prevent drug use or Prohibition prevented alcohol sales and drinking. The only thing legislation against anything in demand does is to create a black market.
      June 23, 2016 7:26 PM MDT

I don't understand. Whenever people talk about gun control, and they don't support it, they instantly compare it to Prohibition. There are strict rules about where, how and to whom alcohol should be sold, and the effect is that lives are saved by keeping it out of the hands of minors as far as possible, limiting its use to certain areas, and requiring a license to sell it, not to mention laws prohibiting use while driving, etc. Why, when it comes to guns, is the conversation always all or nothing?

June 23, 2016 7:34 PM MDT

As for the comparison of Germany vs US shootings, one could conclude, based on the numbers, that gun control has reduced the frequency and severity of shootings in Germany. If that's not right, I would like to know why I should not draw that conclusion.

June 23, 2016 7:36 PM MDT

BS. High school and college kids do just as much drinking today as when I was young and the drinking age was 18.
      June 23, 2016 7:49 PM MDT

Well, to be fair, I think the drinking age in the USA is too high. 

June 23, 2016 7:52 PM MDT

A gun shot in a Cinema it is like someone yelling "Fire". Instant panic. And then people get injured trying to crowd through the exits. I see little reason to think anyone was actually shot. Or shot at.

Of course in a US Cinema there is the risk that some of the people in the cinema will pull out their own guns and start "shooting back", That could turn bad pretty quickly.

PS: How many shootings have there been i the US this weeks? More or fewer than in Germany ?

June 24, 2016 12:16 AM MDT

Here is another article about the incident: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/23/germany-shooting-man-opens-fire-in-cinema-complex-in-viernheim/

Apparently written later with more info awailable.

1) The gun man fired 4 shots 'in the air' to intimidate the hostages he was taking.

2) Police came and shot him.

3) Nobody else was hurt.

- end of story -

June 24, 2016 12:35 AM MDT

Only the American right and Nigel Farage believe gun control doesn't work. If it doesn't, why do most nations have it?
      June 24, 2016 5:16 AM MDT

There are laws regulating guns. Guns sales, gun use and gun ownership. We go straight to all or nothing because the politicians pushing these laws say they favor the NOTHING approach.
    People die every day from some drunk driver...we don't decide to ban or regulate beer every time their is an accident.
      June 24, 2016 6:16 AM MDT

Again. Why do countries with the strictest gun laws have much higher murder rates.

China has almost twenty times higher murder rate than the US with 91 per 100k compared to US 3.4 per 100K.

June 24, 2016 6:39 AM MDT