Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » The attack on the holy city of Medina, Mohammed's resting place, is the second holiest site in Islam. It is a devastating attack to all Muslims. So ISIS is not made up of Muslims then? What are they?

The attack on the holy city of Medina, Mohammed's resting place, is the second holiest site in Islam. It is a devastating attack to all Muslims. So ISIS is not made up of Muslims then? What are they?

Posted - July 5, 2016

Responses

No group has claimed credit for the attack, yet.

July 5, 2016 12:03 PM MDT

• It's been said from the onset that the majority of the victims of this so-called "Muslim Terrorist group" have been OTHER Muslims. That's why mainstream Muslims continue to insist ISIS doesn't represent Islam on any  credible level.

July 5, 2016 12:17 PM MDT
  • Bez

I can think of a few names for them, Rosie, but I don't want to use that kind of language on here. Happy Tuesday!:)

July 5, 2016 12:25 PM MDT

Monty Python pretty much nailed this phenomenon in "Life of Brian." Frequently, when resistance groups rise against an oppressor, they start out united against a common foe, but before long the groups end up hating each other almost as much (or more so) than they hate the oppressor.

The day after the Paris bombing (for which ISIS took credit), there was a major terrorist bombing in Beirut, Lebananon (for which ISIS also took) credit. The main victims in the Beirut attacks (besides innocent bystanders) were members of Hezbollah (also labeled a terrorist group by the US government).

Of course, since most Americans can't think of Arab/Muslims except as monolithic F***ING HADJIS, these nuances are lost on them.

July 5, 2016 12:43 PM MDT

You're welcome. I guess their afterlife won't differ much from the rest of us. To my beliefs there is no afterlife.
      July 5, 2016 2:38 PM MDT

ISIS and Al Queada have done far more attacks in Islamic countries than the west, but some idiots here try to insist that all Muslims are a potential threat.
      July 5, 2016 3:57 PM MDT

Just read Old School's answer. It has nothing to do with groups starting out with a common cause and them turning against each other, OS. It is the clash between Shia and Suffi Islam, which is a centuries old division. They are two totally different interpretations of the same faith.
      July 5, 2016 4:03 PM MDT

(Genesis 21:17-21) At that God heard the voice of the boy, and God’s angel called to Haʹgar from the heavens and said to her: “What is the matter with you, Haʹgar? Do not be afraid, for God has heard the voice of the boy there where he is. 18 Get up, lift the boy and take hold of him with your hand, for I will make him a great nation.” 19 Then God opened her eyes and she saw a well of water, and she went and filled the skin bottle with water and gave the boy a drink. 20 And God was with the boy as he grew up. He lived in the wilderness and became an archer. 21 He took up dwelling in the wilderness of Paʹran, and his mother took a wife for him from the land of Egypt.
    (Genesis 16:11, 12) Jehovah’s angel added: “Here you are pregnant, and you will give birth to a son, and you must name him Ishʹma·el, for Jehovah has heard your affliction. 12 He will be a wild donkey of a man. His hand will be against everyone, and everyone’s hand will be against him, and he will dwell opposite all his brothers.”

July 5, 2016 8:04 PM MDT

I tell you again, and again, and again, go read the Quran. I serve you the link on a silver platter.

http://quod.lib.umich.edu/k/koran/browse.html

If you just once bother to read it, you will see that it is a recitation (Quran means Recitation) filled with the poetic glorification of killing, mutilation, and dying in the process if necessary. To a Muslim "Fighting is prescribed for you...". Allah determines the Muslim must fight, and continue doing so until all religion is that of Allah. 

Since many if not most of the world's Muslims do not live in proximity to Islam's "bloody borders", where attacks against nonbelievers are frequent, they must channel their prescribed fighting upon each other, such as Shiites on Sunnis and vice versa. Suicide-bombings even inside of Mosques are an occasional occurrence. By comparison, there is nothing to stop a sectarian suicide bombing at the busy end of Ramadan. In fact, that would be an opportunistically crowded place to get a big body count.

July 5, 2016 8:18 PM MDT

@HD -- You are correct that the Shia/Sunni divide is a big part of internicine fighting in the Arab/Muslim world.  However, I don't think it's the sole explanation, anymore than one can attribute the violence in Northern Ireland throughout history to a Catholic/Protestant dispute. Religion is often the cover for geopolitical goals.

July 5, 2016 8:28 PM MDT

Medina is not a Holy city..

The true ISIS Muslims are out to bring down the hypocrite false muslims in median who are not waging jihad against the infidels but are fighting with the infidels. Saudi Arabia is right now aligned with the USA ( an infidel nation) against ISIS in Syria... This is a crime to all quran believing muslims who know that a true muslim will never make an alliance and be friends of Christians or Jews or infidels..

""""quran 9:
    73 O prophet strive hard against the unbelievers AND the HIPOCRITES, and be unyealding to them; and their abode is Hell and evil is the destination."""""

Sura 5:

51 O you who believe! Take not the Jews and the Christians as Auliya (friends , protectors,helpers) They are but Auliya of each other, and any amongst you takes them (as Auliya) then surly he is one of them.. 

So it is clear that the devout quran believing muslims of ISIS are striving hard against the hipocrite false muslims in Medina for their alignment in the war on ISIS with the infidels of the USA and the coalition nations who include other non- islamic infidel nations..

So ISIS are True Muslims..

July 5, 2016 10:31 PM MDT

They do not want to see the truth of islam.. They want to stick their heads into the sand and ignore the truth f the evil of islam for the sake of political correctness and for fear of being called a racist if they actually believe and stand up for the truth... They want to fit in and be conformists to the PC dogma even if it is leading to the destruction of their own civilization and their loss of their hard fought feminist freedoms and equality they so loudly proclaim to be their right..

July 5, 2016 10:34 PM MDT

So ISIS terrorists are Atheists then HarryD?  Too confusing for me. Yes. We have our idiots here. Idiots are everywhere. Conspiracy theorists, racists, bigots, hatemongers, misogynists. You know. Those who support the Mastter of all that and more! The Donald! Not proud of it by the way. But people are what are they. Aren't they? Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday to thee. Seriously. ISIS terrorists are religion-less, right?

July 6, 2016 2:06 AM MDT

July 6, 2016 2:08 AM MDT

I don't KNOW of course SH. But here is what I LIKE to  think about afterlives. Everything we know remains the same  EXCEPT there are no wars. There are no illnesses. There is no hate. We can still disagree but we don't murder or kill or harm. People are kind,  polite, helpful. I know. A bit fanciful. Nevertheless wouldn't it be loverly? :)

July 6, 2016 2:11 AM MDT

The terrorists who would desecrate Islamic holy sites can't possibly be Muslims can they bijoux?   Thank you for your reply and Happy  Wednesday m'dear! :)

July 6, 2016 2:13 AM MDT

Thanks honey because I'm too young to hear that kind of language Andy. Maybe when I'm 80? Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday to thee AndyB. So the ISIS terrorists have no religion then? Atheists?

July 6, 2016 2:19 AM MDT

It is all very confusing. Mahalo for your thoughtful and helpful reply and the link OS and Happy Wednesday! :)

July 6, 2016 2:21 AM MDT

It seems that the Sacred Mosque in Mecca is the only place Muslims cannot slay people and it is allowed there if they feel someone else started the fight.

http://corpus.quran.com/translation.jsp?chapter=2&verse=191

Muhammad Sarwar: Slay them wherever you may catch them and expel them from the place from which they expelled you. The sin of disbelief in God is greater than committing murder. Do not fight them in the vicinity of the Sacred Mosque in Mecca unless they start to fight. Then slay them for it is the recompense that the disbelievers deserve.

July 6, 2016 2:49 AM MDT

You may be right about some of that?

It seems that the Sacred Mosque in Mecca is the only place Muslims cannot slay people and it is allowed there if they feel someone else started the fight.

http://corpus.quran.com/translation.jsp?chapter=2&verse=191

Muhammad Sarwar: Slay them wherever you may catch them and expel them from the place from which they expelled you. The sin of disbelief in God is greater than committing murder. Do not fight them in the vicinity of the Sacred Mosque in Mecca unless they start to fight. Then slay them for it is the recompense that the disbelievers deserve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu_NOFLi2ZU

One Muslim who is telling the truth YouTube

July 6, 2016 2:52 AM MDT

• It is composed of Muslims Rosie, but we should think about that for a second.  The Westboro Baptist Church is made up of Christians, though many other Christians would wish to refute that label, some because they don't recognise that behaviour as particularly Christian, others because Fred Phelps and his brood are an embarrassment.

There are two main branches of Islam - Sunni and Shea and a third, smaller group, the Sufi.  ISIS is predominantly a Sunni uprising and the majority of it's victims are Shea Muslims.  It's essentially an Iraqi religious civil war, enabled by very mundane and earthly concerns, which has infected other areas of the middle east and Africa.

July 6, 2016 6:02 AM MDT

Touche my friend. Yes. There is that awfuly evil and disgustingl Westboro Baptist church isn't there? I get your point.  For an  Iraqi religious civil war it sure has spread to involve  others. Why couldn't they keep that civil war to themselves as the US kept its civil war within its borders? Thank you for your thoughtful and helpful answer MrWitch and Happy Wednesday! :)                                                                                                             

July 6, 2016 6:43 AM MDT

It would be lovely, Adam what I wished for during our living life. Why wait. We can disagree and still be civilised. It's a matter of approach, and a change of leaders. I admit. Sighs.
      July 6, 2016 7:05 AM MDT