Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » As a passenger in a commercial jetliner that was circling the airport again and again, have you worried that it might run out of fuel?

As a passenger in a commercial jetliner that was circling the airport again and again, have you worried that it might run out of fuel?

~

Posted - November 30, 2016

Responses

Yes.  I've been in that pattern for over an hour at the Atlanta airport.  I hate to fly; hate everything about it!
      November 30, 2016 6:34 PM MST

No, not really. Aviation accidents due to inadequate fuel are very very rare.

I do recall one time, while flying into Honolulu airport, I looked out a window and thought, "Gee, we're AWFULLY low." Within seconds of having the  thought, I heard the engines increase power and the pilot directed the plane to higher altitude. That's probably the only time I've been noticably scared during a flight.
      November 30, 2016 6:52 PM MST

I've only been on one trip in my life where I was on a plane and that was when I went to Germany. It was two flights each way but none of them circled the airport so I wasn't thinking about it.

All my other trips were driving trips.
      November 30, 2016 6:53 PM MST

Wanted it too so we would land to get some.
      November 30, 2016 7:44 PM MST