Active Now

Danilo_G
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Transportation » What sense is there in a police officer having the power and legal authority to cite a motorist for using a cell phone while driving, yet that same officer does it while driving the police car?

What sense is there in a police officer having the power and legal authority to cite a motorist for using a cell phone while driving, yet that same officer does it while driving the police car?

~

Posted - June 23, 2016

Responses

But he is the MAN!!!

June 24, 2016 1:04 AM MDT

Do they use phones or radios? The radio has one button and doesn't require visual attention. 

What freaks me out more is the dashboard computers. O_o

June 24, 2016 2:02 AM MDT

The inspiration for the question came when I saw yet another police officer doing it and I envisioned someone asking as the ticket is being written, "But what about YOU, officer? You did the same thing."

~
      June 24, 2016 6:10 AM MDT

It is enforcement of law.  People using cell phones are prone to increased risk of accident.  If it couldn't hurt anyone other than them, I wouldn't care.  I never make a call while driving.  When it rings I glance and if I need to take it I answer to tell the person to hold on while I pull off of the roadway.  I don't text at all.  One of the best things about Washington is that driving while using a cell is illegal.  Here in Florida texting is a secondary offense, so you don't even get stopped unless you break another law.      Policemen, while on duty, may be able to do a number of things that the rest of the population can't do.  Thank God. 

June 24, 2016 11:12 AM MDT

What freaks me out is the guy I see driving with his laptop on the seat and he is typing away.

June 24, 2016 11:16 AM MDT

That's not cool. Talking on a phone isn't illegal while driving here, so I guess it's hard for me to envision. 

June 24, 2016 5:21 PM MDT

It's not legal here either, but there's a fine line between what's legal and what takes place hundreds of times every day.

:|
      June 25, 2016 12:28 AM MDT

Human error is human error, badge or no badge. Police officers who use cell phones while driving are prone to the exact same increased risk of accident as people who are not police officers, right?

~
      June 25, 2016 12:31 AM MDT

I agree.
    ~
      June 25, 2016 12:31 AM MDT

you have a point but the officer is doing that to talk about some emergency, people are doing it to talk to their friends

June 25, 2016 7:59 PM MDT

No police officer EVER uses the cell phone while driving without talking about an emergency?

No civilian EVER uses the cell phone while driving to talk about an emergency?

:|

June 26, 2016 6:42 PM MDT