Active Now

DannyPetti
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » History » Which historical era -- from 2016 all the way back to antiquity -- do you think would have been the best time to be alive? Why?

Which historical era -- from 2016 all the way back to antiquity -- do you think would have been the best time to be alive? Why?

Posted - December 14, 2016

Responses

• Whatever time I would have been given a battle-ax and animal skull cowl  for my fifth birthday.

Occam's Broadsword: Leo Howard, Boy Badass
      December 14, 2016 7:03 PM MST

Interesting question, and one that likely only a straight white male would ask! I mean, let's face it, not all that great for many of the rest of us until the past couple of decades!

I can see advantages to being a woman in the 50's, though. Prosperity for many... June Cleaver, Mrs. Cunningham, that sort of thing. I'm not saying that I'd want to actually live that, but the idea of actually having very few responsibilities outside of housework and childrearing is somewhat appealing, at times.

Personally, I think that coming of age in the 60's/70's would have been FAR OUT! Marching for civil and women's rights, against war, flower power, etc. Just seems like it would have been fascinating and a lot of fun. Probably not for men as much, considering the draft and all.

I'm excited to see others' perspectives on this! Really cool question!

December 14, 2016 7:58 PM MST

• I accept the rebuke in your opening sentence because, yes, I was thinking personally.

Don't be too sure about the 1950s, though. By then, women were no longer expected to succumb to an attack of the vapours if they saw something unpleasant, but they were certainly expected to be "the little woman," to stay home and raise the family. And their wages and working conditions were appalling. I remember what it was like for Mrs Didge and for my sister at that time.

Feminism didn't really gain a lot of momentum until the 1970s and from that point forward slowly grew in strength. A lot of the things we take for granted today had their roots at that time but it was by no means straightforward. That's when political correctness was born too and, although it got out of hand in some respects, it was necessary in others.

Among the best protest songs I heard from that era was one written by Peggy Seeger (Pete's sister) and possibly encapsulates the ideas you expressed in your answer.

Thanks for a thoughtful reply.

December 14, 2016 8:57 PM MST

That's an incredible song! Thank you for posting it! I'm going to listen to it over and over!!

I was just saying that I can see the appeal of the 50's and why, but there's no way I'd be able to tolerate that existence day in and day out forever.

I read something recently saying that women couldn't even have their own bank accounts or credit cards until somewhere around 1970. Unfreakingbelievable!!

Thank you, again, for the question. I like those that really provoke thought!

December 15, 2016 2:34 AM MST

I'm glad I've lived the years I have.    I like all of the "regular" modern conveniences and appliances.  I would not have made a good full-time homemaker but I like being a woman and like my man to be masculine with hair where hair should be.  I'm educated and had a great career.     I imagine I'm right in the main stream with many other boomers.   Right on................... This post was edited by Thriftymaid at December 15, 2016 10:08 AM MST
      December 14, 2016 8:34 PM MST

• Thanks, Thrifty. They were fortunate years -- extraordinary changes in world politics, science, medicine, and technology. It's been an exciting time to be alive.
      December 14, 2016 9:00 PM MST

• Realistically I don't think I could choose any of the previous time periods. I am made for this modern era. But I suppose I do wonder what it would be like to live in the 2nd century, the peak of the Roman Empire. I'd also like to check out feudal Japan. 
      December 14, 2016 10:52 PM MST

• Tough choices, Nevan. Like you, I'll stick with the time I know.
      December 14, 2016 11:05 PM MST

I don't know if there was another time than the last few decades when I would have seen so many innovations in technology. The job I retired from didn't exist when I started working. Computers once  took up a whole floor and we had to drop off our documents to be keypunched. Cell phones started out as as big and clunky and were mostly considered an affectation but quickly became a necessity. It's great to have these things but it was truly exciting to watch each new development.

I also got to be part of a generation that expected to change the world and they did.
      December 15, 2016 2:50 AM MST

• Exciting is exactly the right word, Jane.
      December 15, 2016 3:22 AM MST

• Exciting is exactly the right word, Jane.
      December 15, 2016 3:22 AM MST

• Well, now.

Otherwise I'd be very dead.
      December 15, 2016 3:41 AM MST

Is 2016 a historical era?
    -
      December 15, 2016 5:27 AM MST