Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » Do you know your Celsius?

Do you know your Celsius?

Apparently the Bahamas, Belize, the Cayman Islands, the Republic of Palau and the United States are all countries that use the Fahrenheit scale whereas all other countries in the world use Celsius to measure temperature.

Do you know your Celsius?
Should Celsius be the temperature scale by default when talking temperatures, after all it's the most used scale?

Posted - December 15, 2016

Responses

•   December 15, 2016 2:02 PM MST

• Easy .. 5 cm... It's a3,4,5 triangle lol
      December 15, 2016 2:09 PM MST

Yes, I do know my Celsius but if gets cold enough, like -40, it doesn't make a difference lol.  When someone asks a question about weather on AM I write both of them out to avoid confusion.

When I was in school it was always "Water freezes at 0 degrees and boils at 100 degrees."

December 15, 2016 2:14 PM MST

Loves it... freezes at 0 and boils at 100, yus. So kind of you to use both scales. We can maybe compare scales one day. Hmm. :-) This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at December 16, 2016 1:20 AM MST
      December 15, 2016 4:38 PM MST

• This is common in the UK SH.  :)

As almost the entire nation is obsessed with the weather, it gives an opportunity to make both hot and cold temperatures seem excessive.

I kid you not.
      December 15, 2016 5:56 PM MST

Sorry, not sure I got this one right. Might be my language skills, or lack of same. I am aware UK have switched to the continental way of measure temperatures. Do you mean you still use both sets of scale, or how?
      December 16, 2016 1:22 AM MST

• Happy to explain SH  :).  The UK has been 'officially' metric for a while.  But, we're a stubborn and intransigent people who relinquish old friends reluctantly.

The Act of Union (to get England/Wales + Scotland = Britain) in 1707 prioritised the English gallon and pint over the Scottish versions (which were larger).  This was ignored in the north and the same-name-different-size measures ran concurrently there until the Weights & Measures Act of 1824 banned the larger versions on pain of bad jokes about Scottish drinking habits.

We have much the same situation going on now.  The currency went decimal in the early '70s but people still use words for amounts of money that belong pre-decimalisation.  Same with other measures for weights, volume, etc.  It will die out as the generations die out - probably.  But for now, the older and younger live side by side and use one, the other or, often, both.

Which brings me to the weather.  I'm afraid to say that the UK is thoroughly obsessed with it's weather, and many people do like to talk about it (indeed, some cannot talk about anything else).  To give an extra sense of drama to the conversation it has long been customary among many to use Celsius for low temperatures and Fahrenheit for high temperatures.

We're a rather strange people, I admit.  :) This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at December 16, 2016 4:33 AM MST
      December 16, 2016 4:15 AM MST

Ah. Thanks for elaborating. Funny with the dramatic use of Celsius and Fahrenheit. Lol.
      December 16, 2016 4:23 AM MST

• It confuses the bejesus out of people who are not fully familiar with the nation's quirks SH.  The UK has a reputation abroad of a rather unemotional place where people are very reserved.  While this is true up to a point, it doesn't alter the fact that throughout it's history the UK and it's people have proven to be very emotional indeed.

So there's this rather interesting dichotomy - an emotional people conditioned to an extent by a (now much older and dying) society to not be.  So this rather dishonest approach we have to weather temperatures may be an aspect of that.  A little bit of drama being sought in an otherwise dull day.  :)
      December 16, 2016 4:43 AM MST

I am aware. Having watched your House of Common at work... 

Had a laugh, imagining JA calling order all the time... poor JA... 
      December 16, 2016 2:28 PM MST

• I could see that happening and it would be amusing, but these bastards are paid a lot of money to perform like this.
      December 16, 2016 4:14 PM MST

Mhmm. More coffee for JA then. Yus.
      December 17, 2016 4:24 AM MST

• No he doesn't (kid you, that is). We're officially metric but old habits persist. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at December 16, 2016 1:48 AM MST
      December 16, 2016 1:42 AM MST

I first memorized "Fahrenheit equals nine fifths Centigrade plus 32" in elementary school.  I still routinely convert Celsius to Fahrenheit when I want to compare the two rather than the other way around.

I could change, but I'd still have to re-associate the feeling of a given temperature with a number.

Either way is fine with me.

December 15, 2016 2:34 PM MST

I first memorized Google for converting things.  It's a lot easier that way.
      December 15, 2016 3:01 PM MST

Yus!
      December 15, 2016 3:02 PM MST

I went to school way before digital calculators and the internet.  And with speed math I can get useable answers quicker than a calculator some times.

I like to be able to solve problems without pulling my phone out of my pocket. 
      December 15, 2016 3:12 PM MST

I actually think converting between metric and US is a total waste of time.  It just makes more sense to think in the measurement you're using so if you drive across the border to Canada or Mexico it's easier to just look at the km/h on your speedometer and ignore the MPH.

Where I live has both MPH and km/h on some speed limit signs so we get to choose which one we want to use.
      December 15, 2016 3:20 PM MST

Why the wish to compare? I'm curious, for my part I do it when talking with American friends. Only once I've experienced an American thinking about this and converting the temperature into my scale. Hmm.
      December 15, 2016 3:02 PM MST

Yes.  I love the girl.  I thought she was going to be our new first daughter once more.  But she was replaced by a blonde bombshell that even Trump would tap.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelsea_Clinton
      December 15, 2016 2:36 PM MST

Wrong question, Sharonna. We are in the non-political section.

Celsius not Chelsea, the latter which by the way also is a football club based in London. It's the soccer version of football as you tend to call it in the States.

Oh. Maybe Chelsea got more in common with the Clintons (and back to the non-political banter).
      December 15, 2016 3:00 PM MST

• giphy-cmfpbmryb3bzb25yb3nlcze5odbaewfob28uy29t
      December 15, 2016 3:15 PM MST

Oh I forgot. Darn, i have leased out my Tower of Babel to someone else. Gah.
      December 15, 2016 3:36 PM MST

I am learning.  Let's see 10C=50F, 20C=68F, 30C=86F.  Everything else is in between!
      December 15, 2016 5:37 PM MST

Mhmm. Now we just need to train the weather to change in steps by ten degrees Celsius. Easy peasy... And the weather forecast...

December 16, 2016 1:30 AM MST