Active Now

Spunky
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Relationships » How do two shy people ever get to talk with each other, the very first time?

How do two shy people ever get to talk with each other, the very first time?

Posted - December 19, 2016

Responses

• Depends what kind of private talk. I have talked on the phone to three different ones. Not easy, being shy, but it did get better.
      December 20, 2016 10:14 PM MST

Even a PM or an IM can be a challenge. Gah.
      December 20, 2016 11:03 PM MST

• indeed
      December 20, 2016 11:04 PM MST

• I knew a girl who had the gift of gab. She could start a conversation with anyone, anywhere. Standing in a grocery line, she could start a conversation with the woman, behind her in line, about something nonsensical based on what the person has in their cart. Like "gee, you're getting the fudge frozen custard, is that pretty good, because I thought about it, but just wasn't sure".

I think most people think about what they are going to say, shy people over think, and someone like M, she never gave anything a thought (if that makes sense). She just started with whatever hit her, an object, a situation, first thing that came to her mind. Then she would simply start talking about a generalized subject in a "get to know someone better" sense. Oh, she was always apologetic too. Like "I've lived here for XX years, and never seem to get used to the crowds at the store, I'm sorry I just talk too much feel free to tell me to be quiet, do you live around here?". Something like that. Next thing you know she's exchanging emails with them.

It was one of the things I admired about her, but oddly enough, she always claimed she was not an extrovert.

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at December 20, 2016 1:36 PM MST
      December 20, 2016 1:32 PM MST

Hmm, maybe she compensated for not being extroverted by her behaviour. How did she do when the one she wanted to talk with was one of particular interest? And yes, it did make sense.
      December 20, 2016 1:36 PM MST

• She would make dumb jokes (really dumb jokes), talk about current events, ask to get together for coffee (she loved coffee). If she was really interested, she invited them over to her place.
      December 20, 2016 1:44 PM MST

Oh. I see. That is admirable. :-)
      December 20, 2016 1:45 PM MST

• I've never felt that word " shy " I'm getting a handle on it and I understands meaning :) are you shy ? Just walk up and say  "oh hi" ..... Then say something completly absurd :) I can promise will work 98 % of the time. When doesn't work you're dealing with humourless fools ... so pay no mind  for them:p " live fast die young bad girls do it well ..... ;)
      December 20, 2016 11:27 PM MST

Lolz. Hmm. 

What was the clip, can't see that thing apparently. Meh.
      December 20, 2016 11:57 PM MST

Re: "When [it] doesn't work you're dealing with humourless fools ... "

Hey! I resemble...er...um...resent...yeah, resent that remark!....;-D...
      December 21, 2016 12:01 AM MST