Active Now

Flint Ironstag
Discussion » Questions » Family » I think a surname is kinda important. Your parents gave it to you. Other than marriage, for what reason(s) why would you change yours?

I think a surname is kinda important. Your parents gave it to you. Other than marriage, for what reason(s) why would you change yours?

Posted - December 22, 2016

Responses

• I wouldn't change mine. I do sometimes feel that I identify more with my Asian half than with my white half and my name comes from the white half, but it's been part of me for so long I could never see changing it. 
      December 22, 2016 10:23 AM MST

So you are Eurasian then m'dear?  I personally think Eurasian women are among the world's  most beautiful. And the guys are knockouts too! Of course it's also true that every culture has its own special distinctive look. Beauty is absolutely in the eye of the beholder. Inner beauty is the  best beauty one can have  but it takes time to discover that. Geez I sure got off track Nevan B. Apologies. Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday t o thee! :)
      December 22, 2016 11:56 AM MST

In the late 1800's- early 1900's, a lot of European immigrants had to change their names in order to get a job. My family had to drop the "O" from the beginning of their name because the Irish weren't wanted for employment in a lot of places.
      December 22, 2016 10:31 AM MST

• It's interesting finding stuff like that out. Once I started researching family history, I saw that my name has a couple different spelling variants (it is English, so spelling is up in the air lol). And even my mom's maiden name can be written with a few different Chinese characters and mean different things in Japanese. 
      December 22, 2016 10:37 AM MST

Bummer! They had to do it to survive. I totally understand that. Too bad though. Thank you for your reply Pay and Happy Thursday!  :)
      December 22, 2016 11:47 AM MST