Active Now

Element 99
DannyPetti
Thebigd
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Is it just as wrong for Gays to convert straights as it is for straights to reprogram Gays?

Is it just as wrong for Gays to convert straights as it is for straights to reprogram Gays?

Is there a double standard?

Posted - December 25, 2016

Responses

I was told that homosexuality was a choice so I decided to give it a shot but the gay people would always be telling me I am too straight.  

Can't figure out what I was doing wrong.  This post was edited by Kittigate at December 25, 2016 6:14 PM MST
      December 25, 2016 1:20 PM MST

We can only imagine.
      December 25, 2016 3:27 PM MST

• Yeah, those ex-straight camps should be closed down!
      December 25, 2016 1:21 PM MST

I agree -- O-uknow makes a good point with the question. As for the rest of your answer, you made me smile, WingedWonder, ha!
    :)
      December 26, 2016 11:31 AM MST

• Well yea it would be if that even happened.. it's a myth that gay people try to convert others.. they don't - they tend to respect people's sexuality, which is more than can be said for all straight people. I have been told that it's generally not a choice.. but people are born a certain way, preferring the same sex.. so you cannot convert anyone who isn't really either straight or gay
      December 25, 2016 1:24 PM MST

Not possible whether true or not does not prevent those from trying and the general statement you have made we know is probably false. My personal experiences are not debatable. You may call me a liar but then I shall call you an apologist.
      December 25, 2016 3:31 PM MST

• wow ... a sensitive subject for you? I felt your response was over the top.. i never made any reference or inference about your personal experiences.. so truly your ire is misplaced... 

I made general observations and it IS a fact that gay people ARE almost always respectful of other's sexuality and DONT seek to change it.. they KNOW there's no point trying to convert people as generally speaking one IS made liking one or other or both.. it just IS so factually you cannot MAKE someone gay.. they are or aren't attracted to their own sex.. 

It is almost ALWAYS the homophobics who *fear* that any gay man *wants* them.. the reality is that almost never is the case.. so their fears are well ludicrous.. 

Now, as i say I never mentioned anything in respect of your own experiences.. IF you have had a whole heap of gay men trying to come on to you I can only surmise that there is something very special about you cos it just doesn't happen other than in exceptional cases.. and as you seem to hint it failed in your case.. which is exactly what i said and why they DONT try to convert straight people.. simply because it doesn't work that way.. Men who like women aren't suddenly going to stop liking women.. at very, very best all they can do is help someone explore bi sexuality.. 

Honestly MOST of these myths are spread by illogical fear...
      December 25, 2016 3:44 PM MST

On the occasion that a gay person will jokingly say to a straight person: "I'll make you gay." you can hardly infer from that that they're talking about certain camps or prayer circles where they would conduct such a thing. Gay people for a long time have been persecuted, oppressed, and made to feel as "abnormal" and the "other" in comparison to heterosexuals, so by saying something like "I'll turn you gay" or the like, it's their way of poking fun at the idea that heterosexuality is the norm and what if it was the opposite. I use those examples because I just assume that's what you mean, although frankly, I've hardly ever heard it being said outside of movies or TV shows, so I can't even confirm it's occurring in real life. Your experiences are just that; YOUR experiences, I don't know their exact details but I can assure you it's not a widespread thing.
      December 25, 2016 4:18 PM MST

Even if we tried, we could not "convert" anyone who hasn't it in themselves. Maybe they won't be aware, or maybe they are curious. In fact I know a lot of gay people (lesbians) who try to avoid the bi-curious girls.

I have never heard about straight people being captured and sent to gay training programs, being correctional raped or tortured, and killed for not turning gay.

Get serious. This isn't even funny. Smh. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at December 26, 2016 12:26 PM MST
      December 25, 2016 4:29 PM MST

Only sick control freaks think they can convert peoples sexuality.
    I say live and let live and everyone else shut the fuk up. This post was edited by Lulu'sMom at December 26, 2016 12:03 PM MST
      December 26, 2016 11:23 AM MST

Thank you WW. I always tell it like it is. That's why everyone loves me LOL.
      December 26, 2016 11:45 AM MST

YUP...that why we luff ya!  :)
      December 26, 2016 11:50 AM MST

Love ya too SA!
      December 26, 2016 11:52 AM MST

:D
      December 26, 2016 11:54 AM MST

Yus!
      December 26, 2016 11:38 AM MST

It really is that simple Lulu!  You go girl!
      December 26, 2016 12:10 PM MST

• I don't think that's something you can be converted to. You either are or your not, it's not a choice like religion.You can either except that you are gay and live your life to the fullest, or you can fight it and be miserable all your life.  
      December 26, 2016 11:27 AM MST

I've had gay friends since I was in high school. Still have gay friends. Personally, I've never had anybody who is gay try to convert me. My adult children have gay friends who call me mom. I raised our kids like my mother and father raised me.  I do not judge a person by anything but their character. I have the respect from my gay comadres and compadres, as they have my respect.
      December 26, 2016 11:49 AM MST

• We're not Jehovah's going door to door or handing out pamphlets at the airport.
      December 26, 2016 12:04 PM MST

Mhmm. We only want those who understands to appreciate us. :-)
      December 26, 2016 12:18 PM MST

Put it this way....Why would anyone CHOOSE to be bullied, ridiculed, discriminated against, judged, rejected, and even murdered because of their sexual preferences??

Get a clue people.  Gay people were born this way, just like heterosexuals were born the way they are.

No one could convert me to be gay, just like I know I could not convert a gay person to be straight.

This post was edited by PeaPod is just popping by at December 26, 2016 12:19 PM MST
      December 26, 2016 12:08 PM MST

This.
      December 26, 2016 12:19 PM MST

BTW...I never met ONE gay person that wanted to convert me.  Not ONE!
      December 26, 2016 12:12 PM MST

I have had a few gay women over the years who did hit on me. But it didn't take them long to figure out that nothing was going to happen.
    I treated them just like I did with a man I was not interested in that way.
    But no one hits on me much anymore. They all call me mom now, but that is OK with me.
      December 26, 2016 1:09 PM MST