Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Sometimes a charming grocery store becomes just another big box when made larger. New and improved often isn't. Why fix what ain't broke?

Sometimes a charming grocery store becomes just another big box when made larger. New and improved often isn't. Why fix what ain't broke?

Posted - December 30, 2016

Responses

• Ain't that the truth!! Whenever something claims to be 'New and Improved', I tend to shy away from it. Just like with our public transportation here, they got 'New and Improved' fare boxes and have had nothing but issues with them ever since. Half the time they don't work, they won't scan you pass or they get stuck and are useless. 
      December 30, 2016 5:31 AM MST

It's happened twice to us Karen. Years ago there was a charming health food store in Riverside. Small, wooden floors, many alcoves to be discovered. It was called Clarke's and we loved the store.  They had a small counter and they'd make sandwiches to order and salads. They moved a few blocks away into a gigantic shell. Lots more stuff to buy but they lost all their charm. It seemed antiseptic and it was very bright and well-lighted. Same thing happened locally in Hemet a few months ago. Our local Sprouts moved into a brand new building...maybe 4-6 times the size of the old one. It is too big. Too confusing. So we don't go there much any more. Others may like it better. We don't. SIGH. Thank you for your reply sweetie and Happy Friday to you  and  yours!  :) ((hugs))
      December 30, 2016 5:41 AM MST

• I understand! That's happened to a few stores around here as well. Expanding is fine if they can keep their old atmosphere and charm. Sadly, that's not always the case though. Bigger doesn't always equal better. My city is going through that same thing. Nashville has always had a certain charm about it. Kind of a big city with a small town charm. Not so much anymore. Overpriced condos, apartments and town houses are going up everywhere, 100'a of people are moving here each day, we even got a TMZ office here that no one wanted. This place is turning into something the locals, what's left of us, do not like. It's the BIGGER BETTER Nashville, and it's ruining our city. Happy Friday and HUGS back!! :) This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at December 30, 2016 5:50 AM MST
      December 30, 2016 5:49 AM MST

Thanks honey. How sad is that? Think of all the little kids yet to be born who will never know what we grew up with? Do you get the feeling that we are invisible and voiceless Karen? No one sees us or hears us? It's not a good feeling. I just wonder how far it will go before the pendulum swings back again unless you think it won't.  I don't mind change if it's for the better. Improves things. But change often doesn't and then you're left with memories of what used to be that worked better for you. And so it goes!  :)
      December 30, 2016 5:53 AM MST

• yeah...sometimes I feel like that old Geezer in the corner saying, "Back in MY day......" But it's true. :) I'm not sure, and I hope I'm wrong, but I think that pendulum has reached the point of no return....barring a global catastrophe. 
      December 30, 2016 6:00 AM MST

Gosh I sure hope you're wrong and I know you do too.  Anything that passes the point of no return had better be good or we are doomed. Maybe it's wishful thinking Karen but I keep expecting "the other shoe to drop"  and it will change everything for the better. I can't inagine what it will be. I just have a feeling. Thank you for your reply and Happy New Year's Day Sunday 2017 to you and yours! :)
      January 1, 2017 6:55 AM MST

probably cause some people think its broke
      January 1, 2017 4:24 PM MST