Active Now

Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Emotions » Do 3D printers get you all hot and bothered?

Do 3D printers get you all hot and bothered?

#$$$

Posted - January 4, 2017

Responses

• They seem to get my son bothered, he has one... seem a bit temperamental to say the least..
      January 4, 2017 12:38 PM MST

• They are a PITA for sure.
      January 4, 2017 12:44 PM MST

• Not really.  I've had access to a few of them and they really aren't all that they are cracked up to be.   Pretty much a crappy prototyping tool  at best.     CNC machines, lathes, and milling machines are way cooler.

3D printing promises way more than it will ever deliver.   It's a tech and manufacturing fad.

January 4, 2017 12:43 PM MST

Yeah. From what I've seen the edges and surfaces are always rough. Maybe they'll improve or I've only seen junk examples.
      January 4, 2017 12:54 PM MST

• to be fair what my son produces has always been very well finished - he made bulbasaur planters for friends and they were satin shiny and well finished...  The problem seems to be unreliability and how utterly often the print fails/nozzles get blocked etc.. but then again he's only had his a few weeks so is still learning... 

He's going to make me a cup holder for the car :)
      January 4, 2017 12:59 PM MST

• The abilities and quality is all over the board with them.   The quality of the printing substrate varies on supplier.   The types of material they can print varies.
    The one a friend has comes out pretty rough but finishing and polishing is to be expected from any manufacture process.
    Depends on what you want to make I guess.  The main issue I've seen with people using them is many times injection molding or machining would be more economical and produce a better product.   So unless you come up with something very unique and with high desirability it becomes hard to sell the goods at a decent volume at the needed price to justify the work and machine.  It's a very slow process and doesn't have the ability to churn out consistent products at any kind of clip.
    Creating special order and custom things people can't get anywhere else seems to be the most practical model of business with them.   Say car interior replacement parts and custom plastic dashes for example.

I wouldn't suggest anyone getting one unless they can afford it as a hobby to see if it grows into something else.  Gouging the pocket book to try and start a business isn't a goos idea but that's just my unsolicited opinion about it.

January 4, 2017 1:17 PM MST

I ain't buying one
      January 4, 2017 12:50 PM MST

not really
      January 5, 2017 3:46 PM MST