Active Now

my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » I clean a tennis club part time and have wondered why the women have individual showers with doors and the men have a communal shower.

I clean a tennis club part time and have wondered why the women have individual showers with doors and the men have a communal shower.

Any ideas why?

Posted - January 5, 2017

Responses

• Women value, or are just used to their privacy more? Men seem, or have been used to less privacy.. It's the same with toilets/rest rooms - women tend to have individual stalls .. men tend to have a communal urinal... and just a few stalls...  LOL no asking how i know!!  

I think tho that it's just that women prefer to get dressed and undressed in privacy... perhaps an old hang up from the past when women were taught they were supposed to be modest.
      January 5, 2017 11:23 AM MST

• They get in the way of the p***ing contests.
      January 5, 2017 12:57 PM MST

I'd have to go with modesty.
      January 5, 2017 1:05 PM MST

I think it's probably just old school values. I would be mortified if I was expected to shower in plain view and I suspect a lot of women feel the same. I think the older mentality for men was either to suck it up or show it off. lol Nowadays, I'd venture to guess most men would appreciate the same level of privacy. What year was the club built? 
      January 5, 2017 1:11 PM MST

• I kinda would.   Showering with strangers is just weird.   Actually it doesn't matter to me.   I find public showers weird period.  It's kinda gross in reality.
      January 5, 2017 1:13 PM MST

1974. We had communal showers in the Navy and in HS.I guess we don't care what others think about how we look.
      January 5, 2017 1:37 PM MST

i think guys dont care about privacy as much as girls do
      January 5, 2017 1:34 PM MST

What kills me is doorless toilets. I mean, do you really wanna see a guy wiping his backside? 
      January 5, 2017 1:59 PM MST

• Most men aren't embarrassed by their own nudity. Some women are. It's probably the last vestige of Victorian "modesty" when we didn't speak of arms and legs but of limbs.
      January 5, 2017 5:27 PM MST

• Menstruation.
    When young it can often be very heavy.
    I'm not sure mothers would want their very young daughters to see that, especially before they have enough language to explain it.
    I doubt if any western woman would be too comfortable about seeing another woman's blood streaming down her legs, unless she's some kind of doctor or paramedic.
    I believe some African women have a holiday during their menses, and retire together to the Red Tent to squat and bleed into the earth, so probably our western inhibitions are purely cultural.

I do think that communal showering and bathing can have advantages. It's one way of seeing all the different shapes and sizes and becoming more familiar and accepting of differences and of ourselves. It also de-sexualises bodies - makes them more matter-of-fact. The separation, combined with media images, leads to a lot of ignorance about things like what happens to bodies - such as when arm, leg and pubic hair all fall out in advanced old age.
      January 5, 2017 10:25 PM MST

Because men like to compare their "parts" even though they deny it. 
      January 6, 2017 2:58 AM MST