Active Now

Element 99
Shuhak
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » why is it that garlic cured my gum infection while two rounds of antibiotics didnt?

why is it that garlic cured my gum infection while two rounds of antibiotics didnt?

I had issues with my gums so i saw a dentist, i had to take antibiotics twice and that was probably a month's worth of it, they kept cancelling my appts so i quit going there, months later i was still having issues even though i used stuff like listerine, i decided to try garlic cause i heard thats good for infections, i started it 3 wks ago and now its almost gone, weird, also, i might have thyroid issues that arent being detected on bloodwork so im taking kelp and lost about 12 lbs in 2 1/2 months, so why does herbal stuff work better than the stuff doctors give you?

Posted - July 7, 2016

Responses

Hint: you took two rounds of antibiotics before you took the garlic. Why would you assume they had no effect?
      July 7, 2016 10:29 PM MDT

Ditto what rpf said. Also, the source of your infection is unclear, but if you needed a root canal, you still need one. The infection will come back.
      July 7, 2016 10:32 PM MDT

• they work with a limited arsenal, doctors do, but they have good intentions, for the most part.

if you think garlic is a great antibiotic (and it is), check out hydrolyzed colloidal silver. that stuff is the shiii... stuff.

July 8, 2016 2:44 AM MDT

cause i was still in pain from the gum infection and now the pain is going away

July 8, 2016 1:21 PM MDT

Garlic IS a powerful antibiotic.  The other plus is that it does not compromise your immune system and kill the good bacterial in your intestinal tract that cause you not to get sicker.  

Garlic kills toxins that cause disease.  Antibiotics in pill form mimick (often poorly) elements that are in natural products, like garlic.   It is just that garlic only costs a few bucks and the Drug cartels can make a fortune calling garlic some other name when they copy it and market it with a fancy name.

Allium sativum, commonly known as garlic, is a species in the onion genus, Allium.

Its close relatives include the onion, shallot, leek, chive,[2] and rakkyo.[3] With a history of human use of over 7,000 years, garlic is native to central Asia,[4] and has long been a staple in the Mediterranean region, as well as a frequent seasoning in Asia, Africa, and Europe.

It was known to Ancient Egyptians, and has been used both for food flavoring and traditional medicine.[5][6]

July 8, 2016 1:23 PM MDT

Well I know from gum issues I've had in the past that Listerine and other rinses can actually exacerbate your problem. Could very easily be that was worsening your condition despite the antibiotics or prolonging their efficacy.

I wouldn't discount positive benefits from the garlic. Like honey it's an antiseptic / anti-inflammatory, but I doubt that's what cured your ailment. You've quite a few variables to account for in this situation, I wouldn't glom onto the garlic exclusively as your cure. Even antibiotic treatment can be undermined or prolonged if you're consistently introducing something into the system that worsens your condition.

There is also the placebo effect, it's a very real thing. But like I said, don't discount the garlic completely, it's great for you, there are benefits to it. Just don't rely on it as a long-term treatment, you'll be disappointed.

July 8, 2016 1:38 PM MDT

Sure is! Honey is too and much more potent than garlic, if memory serves. Pretty sure it's an anti-inflammatory too. Interesting info here, thanks for posting that.

July 8, 2016 1:41 PM MDT

Pearl, I am proud for you that this worked, did you eat the raw garlic bulbs, or how did you take it? I have a mucous congestion in my throat that just will not go away, when I hear back from you  I may try it too. I already take apple cider vinegar in a glass of water, but it does not seem to help this problem.  Blessings!!

Oh BTW, do you floss your teeth twice a day? If not that may very well be the culprit in the infection. It is amazing how very important flossing is to our gum health.

July 8, 2016 1:47 PM MDT

• Natural is always better
      July 8, 2016 1:57 PM MDT

Apple cider vinegar cures heartburn, without any side effects.

July 9, 2016 2:18 PM MDT

i just take it the same way you take vitamins

July 9, 2016 7:56 PM MDT