Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Recreation » Have you ever shot a gun? If you have, what's the biggest gun youve ever fired? If you haven't, would you, given the chance?

Have you ever shot a gun? If you have, what's the biggest gun youve ever fired? If you haven't, would you, given the chance?

Posted - January 8, 2017

Responses

That's a bit of an exaggeration with the blade of grass (although any unintended contact with the bullet along its trajectory path will cause deflection.) But the .220 Swift's bullet is comparatively light at around 55-grains (about 3.6 grams) and has a low cross-sectional density, depends almost entirely on its velocity to deliver its "punch" accurately to the target. It also depends on its "spin" to remain on a true trajectory between the gun and the target. Give those two conditions its VERY easy to deflect it off course. Think about a passed football that's touched by a player mid-flight. It doesn't end up anywhere near where the quarterback wants it to go. There's actually a bit more to it than that but that should give you the general idea. 
      January 10, 2017 12:30 PM MST

• Oh I see, I see. Sorry, I missed the subtlety of the comment. I understand. That's clever. )
    Well, Salt, your answer is pretty magnificent in its scope and knowledge. I couldn't pretend to be familiar with all the weapons and ammo you have cited.
    It is always good to come across someone who knows what they're talking about.
    Thank you for taking the time to write. 
      January 10, 2017 4:56 PM MST

I'm going to my grave as the Immaculate Conception.  I will never give birth to a fired bullet.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at January 10, 2017 5:17 PM MST
      January 9, 2017 12:21 PM MST

No,I will never hold a gun, I believe in non-violence.
      January 10, 2017 5:17 PM MST

• I think that's great V, I do. I wish everybody felt like you do. Honestly. Th.
      January 18, 2017 8:23 PM MST

Umm Lago, thank you!
      January 18, 2017 8:29 PM MST