Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Emotions » Will humans ever outgrow their hatreds? Is it possible or are human beings simply hateful and nothing/no one will ever change that? Why?

Will humans ever outgrow their hatreds? Is it possible or are human beings simply hateful and nothing/no one will ever change that? Why?

Posted - July 8, 2016

Responses

Are you hateful?
    No? Me either!
    So all humans are not hateful?
      July 8, 2016 8:21 AM MDT

I am not  a hateful person by nature but there are somethings in my mind that are so awful they are supposed to be hated! I dont think we are born being hateful i think for some people their life experiences have made them hateful! I am not sure if that is right or not but that is my opinion!

July 8, 2016 12:29 PM MDT

Never.

July 8, 2016 5:27 PM MDT

• No, I see us as waxing worse and worse..

July 8, 2016 5:56 PM MDT

I don't think human beings in general are hateful (some outlier individual excepted).

What we are, however, is very prone to Kin Selection: the process of dividing the world into US (my family, my tribe, my villiage, my city-state, my religion, my political party, my nation-state, etc.) and THEM (other families, other tribes, other villages, other city-states, other religions, other political parties, other nation-states, etc.).

While dividing the world into Us and Them doesn't automatically lead to hatred, it does lead to treating Them as an abstraction. Once They become an abstraction, it becomes much easier to regard Their wishes and interests as far less important than those of Us. And if They act on behalf of their self-interest in a way that impinges upon Us, well, what right do They have to do that? Clearly, We are the people who deserve whatever They want, because We're white, or Christian, or 'Murican, or whatever,  goddamit! And They are not. Naturally, They probably feel the same way about Us and Our perceived self-interests.

It may be hard to see right now, because humanity is the middle of solving some of the great unresolved conflicts which were only partially settled in the 19th and 20th centuries, but we are making progress. Think back to the mid-20th century when racism was ubiquitous and the major nation-states of the world were engaged in life-or-death existential struggles. Today, a full-blown war of that scale is almost unthinkable. We've also made progress on fronts such as empowering women, destigmatizing the LBGT community, and so forth.

Of course, since the mid-20th century, we've also seen the massive growth of Mass Media Culture, which can bring us live pictures of The Other 24/7/365, whereas a hundred years ago most people in the US/European West were barely aware of the existence of places like Vietnam, Iraq, or Afghanistan. So it seems like there are a lot more Them to fear/hate than there used to be. But it's not really true.

July 8, 2016 5:57 PM MDT

• When something happens that means our needs are not met, it can cause us to fell fear, pain or shame.

When any of these three emotions is repressed or suppressed, the result is anger.

Hatred grows when we have unresolved anger.

There are many beneficial ways to deal with these needs and feelings so that hatred need never develop.

The trouble is that most of us have no idea that these ways exist and are well proven.

And yet the means are there on the internet for anyone to access and not hard to find.

It only takes the will to search for answers and make the changes.

The trouble is, not everyone thinks of searching.

And around the world, there are still billions without computers or literacy.

July 9, 2016 12:07 AM MDT

Enough of them are hateful to keep fostering  racism, bigotry, death Baba. This last few days in America has really gotten to me. Do you think more people are like thee and me or are more people like those who are murdering humans being because of the color of their skin or their religions? It is very depressing to me. Are you untouched by it? Are you removed from it or moved by it? This is what human beings have been doing to one another since forever . Is it getting better or is it getting worse? I don't hate. I never have hated. Haters scared me so I stay away from them. But I do not feel I am in the majority. Thank you for your question .  I wonder if there is a hatred gene that you and I and others like us lack?

July 9, 2016 1:43 AM MDT

I'm not sure what you mean by that m'dear. You mean that would explain hatred? Hatred of "the other"?   I am very depressed by the constant violence in America. It seems to be escalating although it just may be that our communications are much better and so we see it up close and person now where we didn't before. Thank you for your reply fun and Happy Saturday! :)

July 9, 2016 1:47 AM MDT

Thank you for your reply Paige. I am very distressed by the violence in America. It seems to be happening more and more often. I don't know if it will ever get better.   We can't get through a day it seems without some city being in the news for its current tragedy. Very depressing. Happy Saturday to you ! :)

July 9, 2016 1:48 AM MDT

Why C&P? Do you have any clue why?  Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday.

July 9, 2016 1:49 AM MDT

So do I Moina and it is really getting to me. I am very depressed. Every day another tragedy in another city in America is in the news. More loved ones of those who are murdered are interviewed. More pain. More agony. Is it getting worse or does it just seem that way? Our ability to communicate with one another has improved so maybe it just gets covered better. I dunno. Disheartening and disappointing and distressing. Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday to you m'dear!

July 9, 2016 1:52 AM MDT

Not anytime soon, maybe in 100's or 1,000's of years of evolution. What a shame, as humans we're only here for a spec of time in the scheme of time, why waste it on hatred.

July 9, 2016 1:57 AM MDT

July 9, 2016 1:59 AM MDT

Mahalo for your thoughtful analysis OS.  I am very depressed. Distressed. Disappointed. Disheartened. Every day (or so it seems) another city in America is front and center in the news for another tragedy.  It overwhelms me and not in a good way. You see loved ones interviewed. You see the pain and agony. We even get live streaming video as the tragedy is in progress. We are right there watching and listening.  It used to embarrass me. In the entire world what other so-called

"civilized" country can match our record for violece?  I have moved beyond that.  It is getting to be a regular thing. Expected. Almost ho-hum what else is new?  The cold, uncaring, disdainful, disrespectful way many folks treat "the other" is disgusting.  So it is what it is and will always be? What a sad prospect.  Happy Saturday! :)                                                                                                      I

July 9, 2016 2:00 AM MDT

Pink Floyd's song, "Us and Them"  Cool lyrics that pertain.

July 9, 2016 2:02 AM MDT

I am very depressed hartfire. The constant violence and tragedy is America has gotten to me. We can't seem to get through a day without another city in America being in the news because of some terrible mass murder. It is never-ending it seems. The nature of our communications makes it possible for us to be there watching and listening while the tragedy is in progress. We see/hear live-streaming video and audio to document it.  The locations change but nothing else ever changes. It is always hate-based. Anger. Rage. Evil. As if murdering someone is going to be a solution.  I cahn't stend it.   Thank you for your thoughtful answer m'dear and Happy Saturday.

July 9, 2016 2:17 AM MDT

I am depressed by all the violence. It is constant. Is is expected. It has gotten to be 'ho-hum" for some. As natural to America as mother, apple pie and baseball. There is no respite from it. It is ever-present, ongoing, endless. Only now our communications are such that we are present and participate. We can see/hear the tragedy in progress thanks to livestreaming video. Hatred is alive and well in America.  What a sad future. Thank you for your reply BSurf and Happy Saturday.

July 9, 2016 2:29 AM MDT

some might but not all of them

July 9, 2016 7:38 PM MDT