Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Animals (Wild) » Are you glad they're trying to make new aurochs in Europe?

Are you glad they're trying to make new aurochs in Europe?

Is it a waste of time?

Posted - January 10, 2017

Responses

Oh man.    I can see this as one big Trump attempt at regrowing an ancient beast only to hunt it down and cut it's head off for his gold fireplace.   Why else do we need to resurrect an animal long past extinction?   Because according to the right-wing, tea party, God is on our side special people, the Earth is our playground and God says we rule all the animals and we can do whatever we want to them, including torture and shoot them and eat them and just anything we want to.

Vote Trump.
    Aurochs
    Scientific classification e
    Kingdom: Animalia
    Phylum: Chordata
    Clade: Synapsida
    Class: Mammalia
    Order: Artiodactyla
    Family: Bovidae
    Subfamily: Bovinae
    Tribe: Bovini
    Genus: Bos

The aurochs (/ˈɔːrɒks/ or /ˈaʊrɒks/; pl. aurochs, or rarely aurochsen, aurochses), also urus, ure (Bos primigenius), is an extinct type of large wild cattle that inhabited Europe, Asia, and North Africa. It is the ancestor of domestic cattle. The species survived in Europe until the last recorded aurochs died in the Jaktorów Forest, Poland in 1627.

During the Neolithic Revolution, which occurred during the early Holocene, at least two aurochs domestication events occurred: one related to the Indian subspecies, leading to zebu cattle, and the other one related to the Eurasian subspecies, leading to taurine cattle. Other species of wild bovines were also domesticated, namely the wild water buffalo, gaur, and banteng. In modern cattle, numerous breeds share characteristics of the aurochs, such as a dark colour in the bulls with a light eel stripe along the back (the cows being lighter), or a typical aurochs-like horn shape.[2]
      January 10, 2017 2:14 PM MST

thanks
    was wondering about that.
      January 10, 2017 3:10 PM MST

• Glad doesn't come into it. Interested? Yeah. Fascinated? Oh, yeah. Supportive? Definitely. 

I hadn't heard about the experiment but any researc into new knowledge -- the kind necesssary to create an aurochs -- has to be worthwhile. Even if they fail, as seems likely, the research is likely to open doors onto other research that may be productive. 

There's an interesting story about it in the Post. 

January 10, 2017 2:51 PM MST

oh happy as ________!!
    why?
    for4 what purpose?
      January 10, 2017 3:08 PM MST

• No.   Reviving extinct species is misguided, pointless, and a waste of time and energy.    With so much limited space and current species on the endangered list, creating more competition is the epitome of irresponsiblity and ego.
    Whether we killed them off or not, nature puts species into the extinct category.  Reviving them so we can put them in a zoo exhibit is just crass. No good reason to do this other than to satisfy some mad scientist's ego.

Side note:  The Nazi's tried to do this by back breeding cattle and that's where Heck cattle came from.  
      January 10, 2017 3:13 PM MST

• Are they? are we sure? When I looked I saw several stories dating back to before 2010 so perhaps a pie in the sky thing?  I think they couldn't recreate an extinct species.. just one that resembles it.. which is.. kinda pointless.. but fairly harmless I'd think in the scheme of things.
      January 10, 2017 4:16 PM MST