Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Would the trinity be so popular if rejecting it wasn't sometimes punishable by death in the past? See details below:

Would the trinity be so popular if rejecting it wasn't sometimes punishable by death in the past? See details below:

Believers and nonbelievers feel free to answer any of my questions.  I've been told that I am not Christian because I do not believe in the trinity.

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/no-series/acts-ordinances-interregnum/pp1133-1136

[2 May, 1648.]

Michael Servetus brned at the stake for rejecting the trinity:

http://www.christianity.com/church/church-history/timeline/1501-1600/michael-servetus-burned-for-heresy-11629984.html

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Michael-Servetus

"Despite his intense biblicism and his wholly Christocentric view of the universe, Servetus was found guilty of heresy, mainly on his views of the Trinity and Baptism. He was burned alive at Champel on October 27. "

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/02033b.htm

At various points the author calls attention to the penalty incurred by those who refuse to accept any of the articles therein set down.

The Father Incomprehensible, the Son Incomprehensible, and the Holy Ghost Incomprehensible<

So likewise the Father is Almighty, the Son Almighty, and the Holy Ghost Almighty. And yet they are not Three Almighties but One Almighty.

So there is One Father, not Three Fathers; one Son, not Three Sons; One Holy Ghost, not Three Holy Ghosts. And in this Trinity none is afore or after Other,  None is greater or less than Another, but the whole Three Persons are Co-eternal together, and Co-equal

Who, then, is the author? The results of recent inquiry make it highly probable that the Creed first saw the light in the fourth century, during the life of the great Eastern patriarch, or shortly after his death

The "damnatory", or "minatory clauses", are the pronouncements contained in the symbol, of the penalties which follow the rejection of what is there proposed for our belief. It opens with one of them: "Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the Catholic Faith". The same is expressed in the verses beginning: "Furthermore, it is necessary" etc., and "For the right Faith is" etc., and finally in the concluding verse: "This is the Catholic Faith, which except a man believe faithfully and firmly, he cannot be saved". Just as the Creed states in a very plain and precise way what the Catholic Faith is concerning the important doctrines of the Trinity and the Incarnation, so it asserts with equal plainness and precision what will happen to those who do not faithfully and steadfastly believe in these revealed truths..

.From a dogmatic standpoint, the merely historical question of the authorship of the Creed, or of the time it made its appearance, is of secondary consideration.  The fact alone that it is approved by the Church as expressing its mind on the fundamental truths with which it deals, is all we need to know. 

Code of Justinian

http://biblelight.net/jus-code.htm

Posted - July 8, 2016

Responses

You are not really playing with a full deck.  There is nothing for it.

July 8, 2016 2:11 PM MDT

Sorry to have offended you again but are you an administrator for answermug or do you just like to try to prevent free speech?

July 8, 2016 2:28 PM MDT

• I think Lewis Carol said more of less the same thing in Alice in wonderland when he had the red queen say ... when I use a word it means exactly what I want it to mean

July 8, 2016 2:48 PM MDT

A lot of things were punishable by death in the past that aren't popular today. I don't see the correlation. 

Also, the trinity was a pagan symbol first. Maiden, Mother, Crone. Christians love to borrow pagan stuff. Tradition seems to stick.

July 8, 2016 3:01 PM MDT

In the past, people that believed that the Father was the only true God were often put to death, sometimes burned alive at the stake. I just think that if in the past people had freedom to believe what their conscience led them to believe without being murdered that more people would believe different.

Being told in another thread that I could not comment since I don't believe in the trinity led to me asking this question:

http://answermug.com/forum/topics/what-is-worse-than-this-just-aski...

July 8, 2016 3:13 PM MDT

Sorry, I don't get it?

July 8, 2016 3:17 PM MDT

*sigh*

It's an open forum. If you stay on point and don't make personal references, it's not harassment- it's a discussion. People can walk away from a discussion at any point. If a specific group of Christians wants to have a private group where they can pat themselves on the back about how wonderful it is that they all believe the same thing, more power to them. If you pose a question in the general Q&A, you have to expect dissenting replies.

July 8, 2016 3:23 PM MDT

• The red queen is asserting her complete control ... it means what ever I choose it to mean .. which is what your research would indicate ... the church has made a pronouncement and it means this and only this

July 8, 2016 3:37 PM MDT

That's what I thought. Thank you Just Asking.

July 8, 2016 3:38 PM MDT

OIC, thanks!

July 8, 2016 3:39 PM MDT

• :)

July 8, 2016 4:32 PM MDT

How many millions of Christians have been butchered  at the hands of devout muslims for believing in the trinity.......  And no true Christian has ever killed anyone for not believing in the trinity.. :)

July 8, 2016 7:50 PM MDT

Oh yes, Muslims are no more innocent than those that forced belief in the trinity. They have killed polytheists as polytheists have killed Muslims. Those so-called holy wars known as the crusades in the past were terrible.

http://quran.com/search?q=polytheists

Ever notice that Muslims believe that Jesus is/was only a man and a prophet while Christendom believes that Jesus is God the Son, part of a trinity, the Most High God? Muslims took away while trinitarians added to what Jesus is/was.

(Luke 1:32) This one will be great and will be called Son of the Most High, and Jehovah God will give him the throne of David his father,

(Matthew 16:16) Simon Peter answered: “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”

(Mark 8:29) And he put the question to them: “You, though, who do you say I am?” Peter answered him: “You are the Christ.”
    (John 1:41) He first found his own brother Simon and said to him: “We have found the Mes·siʹah” (which means, when translated, “Christ”),
    (John 6:68, 69) Simon Peter answered him: “Lord, whom shall we go away to? You have sayings of everlasting life. 69 We have believed and have come to know that you are the Holy One of God.”

(John 20:31) But these have been written down so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and because of believing, you may have life by means of his name.

(John 3:16) “For God loved the world so much that he gave his only-begotten Son, so that everyone exercising faith in him might not be destroyed but have everlasting life.

(Romans 8:32) Since he did not even spare his own Son but handed him over for us all, will he not also, along with him, kindly give us all other things?
    (1 John 4:9, 10) By this the love of God was revealed in our case, that God sent his only-begotten Son into the world so that we might gain life through him. 10 The love is in this respect, not that we have loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as a propitiatory sacrifice for our sins.

July 9, 2016 3:35 AM MDT

maybe not

July 9, 2016 6:57 PM MDT

1- I'm not sure if belief in the trinity is widespread among Christians because it is a popular belief. I think it's widespread because it's the doctrine of most churches which followers are expected to subscribe to.

2- The Romans, like most rulers, preferred their subjects to have a common set of beliefs. Towards this end, when they adopted Christianity they adapted Christianity to several of their beliefs and festivals and convened Councils to agree upon and ratify certain beliefs to make them the official doctrines of the state religion, Roman Catholicism. Various forms of Paganism were rife in Europe but the Romans insisted that all its subject follow Roman Catholicism and its official doctrines. So it's not just the belief in the trinity that was spread by the Roman Catholic church but many other Christian beliefs too, like:

a) Adam sinned and that sin is passed onto each human baby.

b) God cannot forgive humanity that sin unless a perfect human being is sacrificed 

c) Jesus is the literal son of God, with some going so far as to insist that he was conceived when the Holy Spirit overshadowed Mary making her pregnant

d) Jesus came to die for the sins of mankind. Jesus was the sacrifice that enabled God to forgive sins.

e) If [you believe that] Jesus was not raised from the dead then your faith is in vain and you are yet in your sins.

3- It is possible to show from the Bible itself that these doctrines were NOT taught by Jesus

July 10, 2016 8:44 AM MDT

Started out okay but then you went off topic. Perhaps you should ask independent questions about your other assertions?

July 17, 2016 6:09 AM MDT

Definitely. Kinda like how Islam makes and holds converts in predominantly Islamic Countries.

Thank you for your answer.

August 2, 2016 4:30 AM MDT