Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » Do you own any devices that keep wanting to be connected to the internet, disrupting current functions until you comply? Often with ruses li

Do you own any devices that keep wanting to be connected to the internet, disrupting current functions until you comply? Often with ruses li

ke "incorrect time" must connect to internet to give you accurate time. Is this but a ploy used to update the makers that be on your activities? A snitching tool have you?

Posted - January 15, 2017

Responses

I mostly do not think app makers are THAT dishonest. It woild be a foolish risk to take to 'improve my spyware', a lot of qualified software people are on the lookout for malware, and in a downloaded app it is not too difficult to find it if there is some.

But very few apps are prefect when they are first released, so they have a real need to Update the App and that need often result in explanations that are less than honest. Nobody wants to admit that their work was crap so they make up some other 'reason'.
      January 16, 2017 12:34 AM MST

Why do some devices demand to be connected to the internet by harassing you until you comply?
      January 17, 2017 9:33 PM MST

The main reason is that software is rarely good enough when it is released. As the makers get more and more error reports they fix some errors (only rarely all of them) and make a patch to update the app on your computer.
    As for the harassment, I have no clue.
      January 19, 2017 7:52 PM MST

They seem unhappy not connected to the hive mind.
      January 19, 2017 7:55 PM MST

They don't know you installed it until you let it connect. Once you do they they know your IP and can ask the app what you PC setup is and if it needs expansions (that usually cost a bit of money if you agree to get them). This post was edited by JakobA the unAmerican. at September 16, 2018 11:23 PM MDT
      September 16, 2018 11:18 PM MDT

not that i know of
      January 16, 2017 2:42 PM MST