Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
my2cents
Malizz
Element 99
Randy D
Spunky
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Why do some versions of the Bible say 'GOD' and some 'LORD' in the same verses in different versions?

Why do some versions of the Bible say 'GOD' and some 'LORD' in the same verses in different versions?

Gen 6:5 (KJV) And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, andthat every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

Gen 6:5 (NASB) Then the LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great on the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

Posted - July 9, 2016

Responses

Because LORD in all caps is an acceptable title for God..

Exodus 6:KJV:

7 And I will take you to me for a people, and I will be to you a God: and ye shall know that I am the LORD your God, which bringeth you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians.

Joshua 23:KJV

11 ¶Take good heed therefore unto yourselves, that ye love the LORD your God.

Ezekiel 20:KJV

19 I am the LORD your God; walk in my statutes, and keep my judgments, and do them;

July 9, 2016 7:44 AM MDT

not sure why

July 9, 2016 5:24 PM MDT

Apostate Jews started an unscriptural tradition of not saying God's name (Hebrew likely Yahweh, Yaheway or something like that, English Jehovah) due to a misunderstanding of Exodus 20:7. Apostate Christians took it a step further and removed it from their translations, substituting LORD or GOD all caps in its place.

https://www.blueletterbible.org/kjv/gen/6/5/t_conc_6005

https://www.blueletterbible.org/nasb/gen/6/5/t_conc_6005

Also compare Psalms 83:18 KJV with other English translation or Psalms 110:1 where it has Lord and LORD(Jehovah) in the same verse.

Ps 83:18 (KJV) That men may know that thou, whose name alone isJEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth.

Ps 110:1 (KJV) The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool.

Ps 110:1 (American Standard Version) Jehovah saith unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand, Until I make thine enemies thy footstool.

July 17, 2016 6:58 AM MDT

https://www.blueletterbible.org/kjv/exo/6/19/t_conc_56007 Exodus 6:7

that I am the LORD

Phrase

h3068   

יְהֹוָהYĕhovah

https://www.blueletterbible.org/kjv/jos/23/11/t_conc_210011 Joshua 23:11

the LORD

Phrase

h3068   

יְהֹוָה Yĕhovah

https://www.blueletterbible.org/kjv/psa/83/18/t_conc_561018

Psalms 83:18 KJV That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAHart the most high over all the earth.

alone is JEHOVAH

Phrase

h3068   

יְהֹוָה Yĕhovah

LORD is a title. Lord is indeed an acceptable title but it is not an acceptable substitute as has been done by popular 'Versions' of the Bible.

(Psalm 74:10) How long, O God, will the adversary keep taunting? Will the enemy treat your name with disrespect forever?
    (Psalm 74:18) Remember the enemy’s taunts, O Jehovah, How a foolish people treats your name with disrespect.

July 22, 2016 9:45 AM MDT

If they didn't remove God's name and replace it with LORD (Lord original 1611 KJV), there wouldn't be so much confusion abut who God is. 

Check these verses in your KJV where there are two lords.

(Numbers 32:27) but your servants will cross over, every man armed for battle to wage war before Jehovah, just as my lord is speaking.”
    (Numbers 36:2) They said: “Jehovah commanded my lord to distribute the land by lot as an inheritance to the Israelites; and my lord was commanded by Jehovah to give the inheritance of our brother Ze·loʹphe·had to his daughters.
    (Judges 6:13) At this Gidʹe·on said to him: “Pardon me, my lord, but if Jehovah is with us, why has all of this come upon us? Where are all his wonderful acts that our fathers related to us, saying, ‘Did Jehovah not bring us up out of Egypt?’ Now Jehovah has deserted us and given us into Midʹi·an’s hand.”
    (1 Samuel 1:26) With that she said: “Pardon me, my lord! As surely as you live, my lord, I am the woman who was standing with you in this place to pray to Jehovah.
    (1 Samuel 24:6) He said to his men: “It is unthinkable from Jehovah’s standpoint that I should do such a thing to my lord, the anointed of Jehovah, by lifting my hand against him, for he is the anointed of Jehovah.”
    (1 Samuel 25:28) Pardon, please, the transgression of your servant girl, for Jehovah will without fail make for my lord a lasting house, because my lord is fighting the wars of Jehovah, and no evil has been found in you all your days.
    (Psalm 110:1) Jehovah declared to my Lord: “Sit at my right hand Until I place your enemies as a stool for your feet.”
    (Matthew 22:44) ‘Jehovah said to my Lord: “Sit at my right hand until I put your enemies beneath your feet”’?

July 22, 2016 11:05 AM MDT

They don't. It's just the translation from Aramaic.

July 22, 2016 11:21 AM MDT

"They don't"? Look again:

Gen 6:5 (KJV) And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, andthat every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

Gen 6:5 (NASB) Then the LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great on the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

I know parts of the Bible were written in Aramaic but I thought Genesis was written in Hebrew?

What's the Hebrew for God? What's the Hebrew for Lord? What does the Hebrew say?

https://www.blueletterbible.org/kjv/gen/6/5/t_conc_6005

https://www.blueletterbible.org/nasb/gen/6/5/t_conc_6005

July 22, 2016 11:28 AM MDT

But you're citing English. Read it in the original Aramaic and then tell me it's like that. But what's the difference anyway? Don't you have a job or anything else to think about?
      July 22, 2016 11:50 AM MDT

Who cares.

July 22, 2016 11:51 AM MDT

Exactly.
      July 22, 2016 12:27 PM MDT

July 22, 2016 12:37 PM MDT

But what difference does it make?
      July 22, 2016 1:32 PM MDT

Like the Biblical Jews as well as Jesus, God's people should use his name that was revealed over 6,000 times in the Hebrew scriptures alone. Due to a nonscriptural tradition based on a misunderstanding of the ten commandments, wayward Jews quit pronouncing God's name and used substitutes like LORD (Adonai) instead. While the Jews still wrote the tetragrammaton when copying, wayward Christians took it a step further and removed it from English translations of the Bible.

How does your copy of the Hebrew scriptures, 'Old Textament' or whatever render Psalms 110:1?

July 22, 2016 1:45 PM MDT

I don't care. It doesn't make any difference. Your question is pointless.

July 22, 2016 7:23 PM MDT

Then why all of your pointless questions? Why did you even respond? A little humility would do you good as the pride and arrogance doesn't fit you well expecially since you were wrong from the get go with your answer: "They don't. It's just the translation from Aramaic."

July 22, 2016 7:44 PM MDT

No. You were wrong from the get go. First, the bible wasn't written in English. Second, and most importantly, NOBODY CARES! Take a humility pill yourself and chase it with one for relevance.
      July 22, 2016 8:41 PM MDT

First, of course the Bible wasn't written in English, it was originally written in Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek. Do you read Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek? I read English and therefore my question was about English translations.

I asked a question about two different translations with two different words and you refer to them as "it's" as if they are just one word. Probably the most stupid answer on the internet:

"They don't. It's just the translation from Aramaic."

Second, why don't you just avoid my questions since you don't care? Do you have nothing better to do than spew your bitterness all over the internet about stuff you don't even care about? 

Do a little reading and perhaps you will learn what that book you don't believe in really says. It can't hurt.

EDIT: I tried to be nice to you on answerbag but you wouldn't have it. You come off as just bitter in all of your post that I have seen and just want to spread your bitterness. Don't you have a job or anything else to think about?

July 22, 2016 9:49 PM MDT