Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Death and Dying » A rigid, set-in-his-ways 70-year-old-man has most of his life behind him. Not ahead of him. He is the best he will ever be. Isn't he?

A rigid, set-in-his-ways 70-year-old-man has most of his life behind him. Not ahead of him. He is the best he will ever be. Isn't he?

Posted - January 22, 2017

Responses

• I'm 64 and pretty set in my ways but I always look at new things and will try new things if they appeal to me. Anyone at any age can do better things and be a better person. I know who you talking about and my answer is just the way I feel about age in general. No one is ever their best until the day they pass. Always room for improvement.
      January 22, 2017 8:00 AM MST

It's good that you feel that way youngster. I'm 79 Rooster. Most of my life has already been lived. The decisions I made, the things I achieved are in my past. I see nothing ahead that indicates I will become a significantly better person. It isn't that I don't try to be but one falls into routines and ruts of thought and action and being almost 80 is not conducive to taking on running marathons. Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday! :)
      January 23, 2017 4:47 AM MST

i would hope so
      January 22, 2017 4:43 PM MST

Thank you for your reply pearl.
      January 23, 2017 4:48 AM MST

It is a matter of perception.

Does he feel he has lived a full life and can now sit back and smile about his adventures and possibly the lessons he was granted to learn along his 70 years?  Or, is he disgruntled and feels he has been dealt a "bad hand" for the last 70 years? 

I would hope the 70 year old man lives every day to the best of his ability.  It doesn't matter if it is 70 years. What matters is what he did with those 70 years and if he is happy with what he did with them.  Each day is something to be grateful for.  Let's hope he finds pleasure in looking back on his. If he wants to be his best today and every day.  Then yes, he is the best at 70.  Only he can decide. This post was edited by Merlin at January 23, 2017 5:55 AM MST
      January 22, 2017 4:57 PM MST

Thank you for your thoughtful reply Merlin. Everything is subjective. What you perceive to be is the only reality you can possibly have. The same is true for me and everyone else. Happy Monday! :)
      January 23, 2017 4:50 AM MST

You're welcome RosieG.  I read down a little because I was interested in what Ancient One had to say on this matter.  He is an old friend of mine. Yes, that pun was intended (winks and giggles) as is Rooster and I find their answers very interesting.  I'm glad AM has this category.  I think it is a subject some are afraid of and others are anxious to experience.  
    Right now, it seems death and dying is surrounding me.  I do have some questions I'd like to put out and look forward to reading some insightful answers.  Hopefully, you will see them and will answer.  Until then, have a great Monday and Tuesday if I don't see you before then!

This post was edited by Merlin at January 23, 2017 5:45 PM MST
      January 23, 2017 5:41 PM MST

A seventy year old man is basically just like a 20 year old man, (not physically of course), in many ways. He may have done much with his past but as long as he is healthy and mentally competent I believe he may have yet to reach his best. I for one never put a limit on anyone due to age. I have seen some amazing things young people have done and some alta amazing things seniors have done.
      January 23, 2017 2:37 AM MST

Thank you for your reply AO. Are you ancient? I am. Most of my life has already been lived. Whatever I might have achieved I already have. You are not wired the same as me. Different strokes. :)
      January 23, 2017 4:44 AM MST

Yes I am Ancient in body but not mind or actions. No I cannot run a marathon but I know the quickest route by bike. I want to and seek to achieve more, even it is only one little baby step. Yes I feel I have achieved many things but there is an inner me that tells me there is more out there. I just keep looking and moving.
      January 24, 2017 3:00 AM MST

As my grandmother used to tell me "keep er up". She spoke broken English and was so cute. Good for you. I'm 79. I usually feel about 16 but there are times when my body informs me that I'm an old dame. It's ok. I'm very lucky and appreciate my life as is. Thank you for your reply AO! :)
      January 24, 2017 3:56 AM MST

If he is stuck in time, he is not the best he will ever be.  He is declining with each tick of the clock.

If you cannot progress effectively and move forward?  You are not best at anything, even what you were yesterday.
      January 23, 2017 5:43 PM MST

Thank you for your reply Sharonna and Happy Tuesday! :)
      January 24, 2017 3:57 AM MST

Maybe he is standing at the door of eternal life, waiting for it to open. 
      January 23, 2017 5:46 PM MST

I dunno. Standing and waiting and doing nothing doesn't sound appealing to me . There was a play called "Waiting for Godot". These guys were waiting for someone who never showed up thus wasting their lives. That's kinda sad. Thank you for your reply Star and Happy Tuesday! :)
      January 24, 2017 3:58 AM MST

There is a quote I was trying to remember and I finally did. Its from a country western song I believe, "I am not as good as I once was. but I am good once as I ever was."  Make sense?
      January 24, 2017 3:03 AM MST

Nope. It sounds like gibberish to me AO. Apologies. Thank you for your reply!
      January 24, 2017 4:01 AM MST