Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » Did you know computer programmers aren't the most important people ever?

Did you know computer programmers aren't the most important people ever?

#AlternativeFacts

Posted - January 23, 2017

Responses

They are important when someone like a famous comedy guy Bill Burr duplicates the graphics that are used in the above "enjoy surprises" for his podcast.  This post was edited by . at January 23, 2017 7:35 AM MST
      January 23, 2017 7:35 AM MST

Huh? I'm not following. I know Bill Burr and know he has a podcast. That's about all I understand.

This must be more #AlternativeFacts. 
      January 23, 2017 7:52 AM MST

Yes, they are becoming dinosaurs because ALL the millenials are tech savvy & know how to program EVERYTHING.  And, if by some miniscule off chance they don't know how to program something, they ask their 5 year old nieces to do it for them.
      January 23, 2017 8:03 AM MST

• Actually not entirely true.   The tech and computer industry is actually having a problem right now with it too.
    People assume the younger generation is knowledgeable and good with computers and programming.   The problem is though they aren't really much better than previous generations as wholes.  People think because their grandson removed some viruses and fixed the screen on their laptop he's good at computers and programming.   What they are good at is googling and finding scripts and programs created by others and what to do with them.   What most of them are in reality are script kiddies.   They are able to google and use the scripts and work of good programmers and techies but as a whole aren't much better at actual programming, understanding how the languages work, or how the software and Hardware interact.
    The computer and programming industry is  having a hard time with finding good younger programmers who actually understand how it works and how to write well designed and scripted software instead of flawed scripting and  just cut and pasting scripts others have created and made.  They might know that A does this and b does that but they often don't know why or how.  It's like saying he's a good electrician because he knows the red wires go there and the black wires go there and a switch goes over here but has no idea why they do or how it works when you do. Or that she's good with cars because she knows how to change the oil.

The idea that all millenials are tech savvy is a myth.  Copying scripts, running programs, and installing software doesn't mean one is good with computers, understands them at a deep level, or good at programming.
      January 23, 2017 9:52 AM MST

I appreciate the feedback G, I really do.  I don't mean to upset or embarrass you but I was making a joke.  Look at who posted the question. #millenials.
      January 23, 2017 12:27 PM MST

• Ahh nah,   It wasn't taken as an embarrassment or insult in any way.
    I know it was a joke, I just thought the truth was quite inline with rag-on-millenials theme. lol
      January 23, 2017 12:29 PM MST

Uh, technically scripting is NOT programming. JavaScript is NOT a REAL programming language. So there.

#MillenialNerdWars
      January 23, 2017 3:51 PM MST

• Exactly!!!!!
      January 24, 2017 12:35 AM MST

#MillenialNerdWarsRules
      January 24, 2017 7:43 AM MST

When I was one, they certainly were. It just took the analysts a while to work it out.

We were the ones who sorted things out in the middle of the night, while they wouldn't get out of bed to answer the phone.
      January 23, 2017 8:32 AM MST

I'm glad you used to be the most important person ever.
      January 23, 2017 3:52 PM MST

That's news to me.
      January 23, 2017 8:34 AM MST

It is an alternative fact.
      January 23, 2017 3:52 PM MST