Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » What is the oddest standard you've come across when dating?

What is the oddest standard you've come across when dating?

I've heard so many different ones and there's been a few that just stand out. I've heard the common ones like: I only date blondes. For me, the oddest was her wanted me to keep a log of when I "do hair removal" and how it was removed. I couldn't help but laugh.

Posted - January 29, 2017

Responses

• I can only think of one. Blind date. Lousy night. To be fair, she probably enjoyed my company about as much as I enjoyed hers. Took her home. Kissed her goodnight at the door. She said, "Only one kiss for the first night." And I said, "What about another for the last night?" 
      January 29, 2017 12:55 PM MST

Lol, at least you tried. I've only been on one blind date and said never again.
      January 29, 2017 12:59 PM MST

• Me too. British actor John Nettles said he once went on a blind date to oblige a friend. (He also said "never again".) He said that the girl didn't want a date with him, she wanted a date with Bergerac, the detective he was playing in a current TV series. 
      January 29, 2017 1:22 PM MST

• I have probably had all sorts.. but I never really took any notice to be honest, if their requirements didn't fit with what i had to offer they weren't for me anyway so  I just moved on.. 

The log and hair removal one you mentioned clearly had a fetish :P
      January 29, 2017 1:44 PM MST

ive never dated, guys wont even ask me out, i have no idea why
      January 29, 2017 2:17 PM MST

I don't either.  Have you made any friends in your classes?
      January 29, 2017 5:59 PM MST

Ask a guy out, Pearl.  It's 2017; if they don't make the first move, don't wait forever.

~
      January 29, 2017 7:59 PM MST

For some years after a friend became divorced  I would occasionally go out with him to parties, opera, concerts, theatre, ballet, etc.  I was friends with both he and his wife.  We were very close friends and remained close after he  remarried.  He had a really odd thing about going out that I made fun of him about but it didn't make him stop.  He liked for us to coordinate what we wore.  Yes, you heard me right. Always he asked what I was going to wear.  I still laugh about this.     I'm quirky too, so what................................

January 29, 2017 6:08 PM MST

Wait, the wardrobe requests came while he was divorced or after he remarried?  If after he remarried, did the coordination include his wife's outfits, or just his and yours?

January 29, 2017 7:38 PM MST

That was when I used to go places with him when he was between marriages.  We were never romantically involved.  He always wanted to be the best looking couple around.  He was much more vain than I.  I never heard either of his wives mention wardrobe coordination.  :)
      January 29, 2017 7:47 PM MST

When I was single, one woman I dated only once dumped me because I failed to call her when I said I would.  It wasn't even the first phone call after our one and only date, it was two or three phone calls later wherein I said something like, "Ok, I'll call you tomorrow."  Tomorrow came and I hadn't called her.
    She wasn't angry or unpleasant about it, she merely waited until I did call her and explained to me that she didn't date men who didn't call her when they said they would.

I was one and done.  (One date, that is.)

~
      January 29, 2017 7:57 PM MST

Well, I had some rules when I was dating too.  I didn't date guys with kids.  I didn't date guys more than a few years older than me.  I didn't wait.  If I agreed to meet someone at 10:00, I arrived at ten and if they weren't there by about 10:03 I left.  One guy (first date) wasn't there at the appointed time and I went home.  Just as I got in the house and went upstairs he pulled up and rang my doorbell.  I opened the upstairs window and told him he was trespassing and get off of my yard.  See I was married a long time to someone who was always late.  It drove me to distraction and I no longer am willing to deal with it.  
      January 29, 2017 8:06 PM MST