Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Ever had ear infection.. ? - How long does it take to go away?

Ever had ear infection.. ? - How long does it take to go away?

Have had ear infection for a week now... I thought it would have gone by now; was on a 5 day antibiotic which ended about 3 days ago now. It still feels full and I have minimal hearing, plus ringing. Should I be on a stronger med? Any experience with an ear infection? 

Posted - January 29, 2017

Responses

ive never had them but ive had strep before, maybe you need more antibiotics, go back to your doctor
      January 29, 2017 2:00 PM MST

• I have had ear infections off and on my whole life. You may need antibiotic ear drops instead of oral antibiotics...without being able to look in your ear, it's just hard to tell...does sound like you have fluid in there. I always put a few drops of warm sweet oil in my ear the some cotton, lay on a warm heating pad, it will help soothe your ear. 
      January 29, 2017 2:26 PM MST

Thanks Angela... I will ask the doc about that.. My antibiotic did take away the pain quite quickly, and Now I'm like, 3 days later why this fullness? Why this blockage feeling still? It may be just that- fluid... ty so much for your tips
      January 29, 2017 2:27 PM MST

• You're welcome, hope you feel better!
      January 29, 2017 6:04 PM MST

Hi Baybreeze, try keeping a clove of garlic in your ear,that does give relief,please see the following weblink-

http://www.complete-herbal.com/Articles/earinfectionsgarlic.htm
      January 29, 2017 2:32 PM MST

You should not put anything in your ear smaller than your elbow.
      January 30, 2017 1:02 PM MST

• I had them often when I was younger. anywhere from a week two usually. 
      January 29, 2017 3:57 PM MST

It's possible that it isn't a bacterial infection unless your doctor did a culture or at least a CBC.  Try some OTC swimmer's ear relief and see if it helps.  We always use an alcohol and vinegar combo and put a couple of drops in the ear and it always works.  But I don't suggest that.....just get one of those swimmer's ear products.........they treat fungus.
      January 29, 2017 5:52 PM MST

It's possible that it isn't a bacterial infection unless your doctor did a culture or at least a CBC.  Try some OTC swimmer's ear relief and see if it helps.  We always use an alcohol and vinegar combo and put a couple of drops in the ear and it always works to keep ear infections away at the lake.    But I don't suggest that.....just get one of those swimmer's ear products.........they treat fungus.
      January 29, 2017 5:55 PM MST

•   January 29, 2017 6:04 PM MST