Active Now

Malizz
DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » Transportation » What's the public transport system like in your neck of the woods? How does it compare to other places you've been?

What's the public transport system like in your neck of the woods? How does it compare to other places you've been?

Posted - January 30, 2017

Responses

It's absolutely terrible compared to the other places I've lived in. Garbage! 
      January 30, 2017 4:55 PM MST

• Sorry to hear that. It's pretty great in Sydney (even though we, naturally, complain about it). I was on the west coast a few years ago and found that, by contrast, theirs is appalling. 
      January 30, 2017 5:09 PM MST

its not bad but it could be better. metro vancouver cities south of the river have always been neglected when it comes to public transportation. it sucks that buses only come every 20 minutes where i am and then some routs  stop running at 9:30pm which sucks even more.  but unlike most people, i don't have an issue with bus wait times and transfers because i always plan my day ahead of time.

the bus drivers are very consistent with keeping up with the schedule and the times that they're suppose to drive past each stop. i give them props for that. This post was edited by Skunky Stinkerson at January 30, 2017 5:35 PM MST
      January 30, 2017 5:26 PM MST

• Sounds as though they're pretty good. I rew up on a bus route but have lived on a rain line for the past 53 years. They're lots better but when there's a major problem EVERYTHING stops. 
      January 30, 2017 5:33 PM MST

the new mayor of Surrey is pushing for an LRT (light rail rapid transit) rather than a skytrain expansion from Surrey Central to Langley Centre which will cause even more gridlock and problems down that particular corridor (gridlock is already a problem) and yet, she wants to add to it with her glorified bus on tracks. the mayor of Langley wants a Skytrain out here cuz travel times, speed, and reliability is far greater. This post was edited by Skunky Stinkerson at January 30, 2017 5:52 PM MST
      January 30, 2017 5:42 PM MST

• Some genius came up with the idea of putting trams through central Sydney. They've disrupted everything and will continue to do so for a couple of years till the thing is complete. Then they'll continue to take up a good part of the road and block traffic. They call it a "light rail service" but a tram, is a tram, is a pain in the butt. 
      January 30, 2017 5:50 PM MST

in my opinion, Light rail is obsolete (for major cities and metro areas) and causes unneeded problems everywhere its layed out. its a stupid idea to implement such a system in any dense city. This post was edited by Skunky Stinkerson at January 30, 2017 11:49 PM MST
      January 30, 2017 11:27 PM MST

• Virtually the entire population of Sydney will agree with you, Skunky. We tore up the last of our tramlines in the 1960s  Now some moron wants to put them back.  And there's a hell of a lot more vehicular traffic on the roads than there was 50-60 years ago. 
      January 30, 2017 11:50 PM MST

The bus system is actually quite good - largely due to the O-Bahn. There were plans to expand it but then the government changed. Conservatives don't ride buses so they built an expressway for cars in that corridor instead.
    The trains are a joke and so is the tram.
      January 30, 2017 5:31 PM MST

• Conservatives, by whatever name, will always opt for that sort of "solution". They're the same the world over. 

In Oz, our conservatives call themselvfes the Liberal Party. A misnomer and an attempt to win the popular vote. They're about as Liberal as the American Tea Party. 
      January 30, 2017 5:52 PM MST

I know that, I live in Adelaide (grew up in Sydney's outer west, Blue Mountains). The Bannon Labor government spent many years and millions of dollars acquiring a land corridor from Darlington to Noarlunga, in the southern suburbs if Adelaide, to build a second guided busway to complement the norteastern one (I live a stone's throw from that).
    Then Dean Brown's Libs got elected, and they shit-canned the southern O-Bahn and built an expressway instead. Too narrow, so it was one way reversible for several years until the next Labor government acquired more land to widen it (since the road had already been built).
      January 30, 2017 5:59 PM MST

• I've been on the Blue Mountains since 1963. Blaxland. We might have been neighbours. 
      January 30, 2017 6:12 PM MST

• My college town has a student-run bus system that goes all around the city; it's very convenient and I use it frequently. 
      January 30, 2017 6:33 PM MST

• Thanks, Nevan. That sounds unusual. 
      January 30, 2017 6:49 PM MST

• Davis is unusual in many ways and I think that's part of why I love it here so much. 
      January 30, 2017 11:21 PM MST

There is none!

The closest city that has bus service is about 30 miles away but it only runs Monday through Friday 6:00 - 18:00 and if you want to use it you have to call them one business day in advance to schedule your ride.  It won't come to my house because I'm too far away.

It's not really a bus it's more like something in between a van and a bus.

The city that's 30 miles away does have an airport and there's a morning flight and an afternoon flight to and from Denver on Monday through Saturday.  I think it costs $125.00 to fly to Denver and back.

That's the closest thing to public transportation here.
      January 30, 2017 7:16 PM MST

• I guess I've been spoiled. Depending on where I chose to live there were several options. I just chose the trains (though we have a bus service too). 
      January 30, 2017 8:28 PM MST

There is only one bus every 2 hours but for $2.50 you can almost get from one end of the Island to the other end so it's pretty cheap. Cheers!
      January 30, 2017 8:58 PM MST

• Sounds good. 

We have a ticket for old people that, for $2.50/day, allows them to travel anywhere within a range of about 200 km. Younger people have to pay the full fare, of course, and it ain't cheap. 
      January 30, 2017 11:05 PM MST

The bus services are generally good where I live, but some parts of the area are more poorly served.

Reasonable rail services, should I wish to visit London, Southampton or places in between. Bath and Bristol too, though with far fewer trains on that route.

However, more rural areas not ever so far from me have little or no public transport.

The irony with replacing former tram services with new ones, as posts above mention, is that no-one seems to have thought to re-introduce trolley-buses instead. Admittedly they need a somewhat unsightly two-wire overhead system with its extra servicing and maintenance costs, but do not need rails in the road-ways, and are better able to cope with gradients above about 1 in 40.
      February 2, 2017 7:55 PM MST

• Good points. I remember our trams but have no experience of trolley buses. 
      February 2, 2017 8:36 PM MST

I remember seeing both trams and trolley-buses in a French town (I can't recall which) in the mid-1970s. The trams operated along the flatter streets, then the trolley-buses worked on the steeper routes where the town was built up a hill-side. The S English town of Bournemouth, which lies in a set of valleys, used trolley-buses only into the 1960s. 

Their advantage of course is in not needing rails!
      February 7, 2017 2:58 PM MST