Active Now

Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Animals (Wild) » Dogs or Cats?

Dogs or Cats?

Ok, I know, I know. This is the equivalent of attacking somebody's religion or politics, but which do you prefer, and why? Can dog owners and cat owners peacefully co-exist as neighbours? 

Posted - January 31, 2017

Responses

• My Hounds always gave the cats a run for their money around here but I still prefer dogs any day. Cats just don't seem as loving and loyal as a good dog can be! 
      January 31, 2017 2:36 PM MST

• Since I asked the question I have to try to stay neutral but, Rooster ... HELL YEAH! 
      January 31, 2017 7:56 PM MST

• I prefer my dog but I don't have anything against cats. A dog seems more loyal and attentive. Plus, a cat won't follow me outside and go fetch a stick for me, lol.
      January 31, 2017 2:58 PM MST

• Cats are lousy stick fetchers. They don't mind fetching the occasional mouse, though.
      January 31, 2017 7:57 PM MST

• I'll take dogs any day. I've had cats, but that's when I was married. Now that I'm king of the household, no stinky cats for me. Here's my little girl, the queen of the house.

January 31, 2017 2:59 PM MST

• You're looking lovely today, Not Flo. Looks as though you've had cosmetic surgery on your ears. Like your dog, though. 
      January 31, 2017 7:58 PM MST

• Yes I did Didge. It's a new me.
      January 31, 2017 9:12 PM MST

Equals. This post was edited by Beans/SilentGeneration at January 31, 2017 8:12 PM MST
      January 31, 2017 3:23 PM MST

• This is a symbol of hope. I wonder if anybody has ever dared to combine an elephant and a donkey existing in harmony? Nah, that's not gonna happen.

January 31, 2017 8:03 PM MST

• "Both" ... a dog, as a loyal companion, and a freezer full of cats. :)
      January 31, 2017 3:35 PM MST

• Hmm. You're not related to Plimsby, are you? He'll probably help you to stock that freezer.
      January 31, 2017 8:04 PM MST

• Cool.  Both of you come by my place and I'll throw something on the barbie!
      January 31, 2017 10:07 PM MST

• Oh now look I have to stand up for the cats here!!  I DO like dogs and have always had dogs and used to prefer them.. but I saw the error of my ways and learned that cats rule :P

Anyone who says cats aren't loving truly doesn't know cats or hasn't allowed one into their heart.. I sleep with a cat in my arms every night, In the daytime if I sit down i have one or more on my lap, one in my arms looking up at me lovingly purring her heart out while I type...

I've cats who FETCH I've had cats who follow and many now do take cats for walks.. but the great thing is you don't HAVE to walk a cat.. 

To be fair my chosen breed of cat are way more loving than most, I have siamese and Orientals and they are very intelligent and some refer to them as the dogs of the cat world.. they are bad, silly, mad and in your face. I love domestic cats or moggies as we call them but they can be a bit more background than dogs.. Siamese and Orientals are never background 

I tend to think.. that people who don't think cats are loving etc just haven't met the right cat yet :)

I can get along with d*g people tho and you will find many cat owners also have d*gs - lol and provided the d*g knows its place that's fine :P I do tease d*g people tho :P
      January 31, 2017 3:40 PM MST

I have had cats that were like my little shadow.  I have one right now sitting with me.  They are completely attached to their people if allowed.  

I too once had a cat that could "fetch".  He was such a cool cat.  Had him for nearly 21 years.
      January 31, 2017 3:53 PM MST

• Same here the one i had who would fetch best was a fluffy female who lived til she was nearly 21. I had a kitty I would play hide and seek with.. that was fun. 
    Each one is different.
      January 31, 2017 3:56 PM MST

• Nice. 
      February 1, 2017 3:14 PM MST

• Thank goodness for a cat lover at last. I thought those mean dog lovers were gonna steamroller the question. 

I remember an episode of Midsomer Murders that featured a Russian Blue named Killmouski. Unfortunately our intrepid detective, Tom Barnbaby, was allergic to it. 
      January 31, 2017 8:06 PM MST

I have always had cats and some of them completely stole my heart.  They really do have different personalities.  

With that said, I love dogs too, even though I don't have one of my own right now.
      January 31, 2017 3:50 PM MST

• You know, Pea Pod, when you raise a family you try to instil a sense of right and wrong into them and then you send them out into the world to make their way knowing that you've done all you can. Then when they do something unthinkable you just shrug and wonder where you went wrong. 

Why am I telling you this? Because two of my sons own CATS. However did that happen?
      January 31, 2017 8:08 PM MST

Silly Didge.  Be happy they have a good heart for any animal.  It's all good.
      February 1, 2017 10:52 AM MST

A young relative brought over a cat one day and asked if we could watch her for a few days while she moved. That was 18 years ago. The cat is still here. It is old but unlike other cats very loving and personal, as in getting on your shoulder and pouring. The dog was brought over by yet another young relative who asked if we could watch him for a few days. I was voted down. It has been 9 years now.  There are days I would turn them over in a heart beat. I have even left the doors open so they could run away, no luck. Then there are days I would rush them to a vet hospital ER.
      January 31, 2017 5:09 PM MST

• I'll bet they've been a consolation to you over the past few months. Our little dog is ancient now but we'll never buy another simply because it would outlive us. We've really enjoyed having her, though.

You're a kind soul, Ancient. I'm sure they appreciate you.
      January 31, 2017 8:10 PM MST

I have loved and raised both. Right now it's just Lulu and she looks a lot like this one.

via GIPHY

January 31, 2017 5:16 PM MST

• She'd be a delight to have around. :)
      January 31, 2017 8:11 PM MST