Discussion » Questions » Animals (Wild) » Do you know any strange stories about birds?

Do you know any strange stories about birds?

For instance, did you know that chickens used to fly as easily as eagles? Then a whole generation were bred from a rooster with acrophobia and they've been ground-hugging fraidy cats (well, technically I suppose that's fraidy birds) ever since.

Posted - February 3, 2017

Responses

• Chickens can fly.  Well a little, they can only go short distances and mostly only do it to perch or get away from danger. That's why their wings are clipped as chicks.
      February 3, 2017 5:46 PM MST

• I'll bet you've never seen one soaring through the clouds. Acrophobia, Glis. Acrophobia. :( 
      February 3, 2017 5:53 PM MST

• Chickens can read crystal balls! 
      February 3, 2017 5:52 PM MST

• Love it. That's very clever. :) 
      February 3, 2017 5:53 PM MST

• The only strange story I can think about birds is   this guy name "Didge" keeps asking bird questions ;) that's a bit strange, aye? ;p
      February 3, 2017 6:04 PM MST

• I've been called strange before. I can live with that. 
      February 3, 2017 6:29 PM MST

• Just teasing you :) I like strange people ... "THE BIRDS!!!! THE BIRDS!!!" ;p
      February 3, 2017 6:31 PM MST

I seen my cat sprinting, he came through and jumped under the porch. About 5 birds were chasing him full speed and pecking his back. I looked down and he had dropped another bird out of his mouth. 
    They were saving their buddy. The dropped bird did get up and fly away. 
    My cat had couple sore spots but they healed up. 
    It was quite funny. Never seen anything like that before. Never seen the cat with another bird either.
      February 3, 2017 6:05 PM MST

• Amazing story and good to hear. Made it worthwhile asking this question just to hear that one. (I've been reading out the answers to Mrs Didge.)
      February 3, 2017 6:30 PM MST

Wow!
    :)
      July 3, 2017 2:13 PM MDT

Great story, My 2.  Hooray for the underdog.
      July 3, 2017 2:24 PM MDT

Have you ever seen the famous photograph of the thunderbird killed at Tombstone, AZ? I have. Six men were posed beside a barn holding the carcass of the bird with wings outstretched. Sketches of the picture abound, and hundreds of people remember seeing it.

Nobody can produce a copy of the picture. Only the sketches.

Here is this one, which I have never seen before:

February 4, 2017 4:11 AM MST

• Yeah, I have seen it, though so long ago I can't recall where or even when. Those guys don't look as though they laugh a lot but that's clearly a fake. It looks like a photograph to me. Are you sure it's a sketch?
      February 4, 2017 2:06 PM MST

A pair of Qawwali will sometimes kidnap the young of another pair of Qawwali then they make those young walk at the back of their family. Predators will pick off the Qawwalli at the back of the line first. That way the gene pool of that family has a better chance of surviving. Cheers! 
      February 4, 2017 10:08 AM MST

• I'd give you two ticks that that if I could. Clever! You had me going with those smart little Qawwali. 

I used to write a Tall Tales column for a couple of suburban newspapers and on one occasion wrote about a colony of rare red-spotted hypotenuses that had been found nesting in a disputed site. They once proliferated around the Mediterranean and it was their triangular wings that had inspired Pythagoras. :)

February 4, 2017 2:12 PM MST

I've read that crows can make tools out of sticks or wire. However, I've never seen it happen.
      February 4, 2017 2:14 PM MST

• "Legend of the Eagle"

The eagle wasn't always the eagle. 
    The eagle, before he became the eagle, was Ukatangi, the talker. 
    Ukatangi talked and talked. It talked so much, it heard only itself. 
    Not the river, not the wind, not even the wolf. 
    The raven came and said, "The wolf is hungry. If you stop talking, you will hear him. The wind, too. 
    And when you hear the wind, you will fly." 
    So he stopped talking. 
    And became it's nature, the eagle. 
    The eagle soared, and it's flight said all it needed to say.
      February 5, 2017 4:11 PM MST

• Lovely story, Alf. There's a parable in there somehwere and it's not too hard to find. Thanks for posting. 
      February 5, 2017 4:53 PM MST

• Yes ... a parable.  The woman, on the right, was trying to get the other woman to talk less and listen more.
    The story used to be on YouTube, but I think it was removed, as I haven't been able to find it for some time.
      February 5, 2017 5:04 PM MST

The short story "The Birds" by Daphne du Maurier This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at July 3, 2017 2:12 PM MDT
      July 3, 2017 2:11 PM MDT

Everything about birds is strange.  They are my favorites.

July 3, 2017 2:26 PM MDT