Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
my2cents
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Legal » Is it considered leaving the scene of an accident if it was a hit and run and you go chasing after the perp?

Is it considered leaving the scene of an accident if it was a hit and run and you go chasing after the perp?

I'm just wondering. I witnessed a hit and run and the maniac just kept going after hitting another car, sending it spinning. The victim chased him when he realized he was fleeing and I followed along. It made me wonder about that. I was hoping to talk to the victim so I can tell him I had it on film, but never had the chance. I did return to the scene later and reported it and sent the footage to the police. Will they let the victim know in case he needs it? I kind of wonder what became of them because I lost them at round 2 of chasing..

Posted - February 6, 2017

Responses

• You know, I really don't know! I thought it was only that the perpetrator should not leave the scene? I think you did everything you could, and way more than most. SO i think you did your bit and hopefully they will be able to use that.
      February 6, 2017 7:28 AM MST

I always thought witnesses and the victim should stay at the scene, but we didn't want that dude to get away and I wanted a clearer shot of the license plate. Before the incident, he was behind me and I kept looking in my rear view because he was driving like he was drunk or something and made me nervous. I moved into a turn lane to get away from him and moments later he went and hit the other car. I just hope no one else was hurt.
      February 6, 2017 7:36 AM MST

• You could be right, but I very much doubt they would prosecute a witness to a crime for leaving and you did everything else right 
      February 6, 2017 7:41 AM MST

• Witnesses aren't legally obligated to remain  at an accident scene.  Only the parties directly involved in an accident.  Even then there is usually some wiggle room depending on the circumstances as long as information is left and is reported.

As a witness you are not legally bound to anything though.
      February 6, 2017 8:58 AM MST

i dont think so since you were just trying to help
      February 6, 2017 9:57 AM MST

Leaving the scene of an accident is only illegal when you're involved in the crash - not when you're a witness. 
      February 6, 2017 10:26 AM MST

• Happened to me a couple of days after Christmas. The guy hit us at a set of traffic lights then went off across the road. I dived out of the passenger side (Mrs D was driving) and chased him across the intersection. He wasn't trying to get away, though. It was just difficult for him to stop where the collision occurred. 

All's well. He was helpful. We weren't injured. The car is repaired. And the insurance company are deciding whether to refund our $700 excess. 
      February 6, 2017 12:05 PM MST