Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Why are we here? What are we supposed to do with our lives? Is any of it meaningful? Have you answered those questions satisfactorily? How?

Why are we here? What are we supposed to do with our lives? Is any of it meaningful? Have you answered those questions satisfactorily? How?

Posted - February 7, 2017

Responses

There isn't really any meaning for anything. It's all ultimately pointless. I think we are to just give meaning for our own lives and set our own goals and purpose. We were born into this life, might as well make some use of it and enjoy it while we can and hopefully make it nice for others.
      February 7, 2017 5:32 AM MST

I kinda think we agree Patch. I think the purpose. if there is one,  is to be kind, helpful and useful. If we could only do that it would certainly be easier on all of us. Thank you for your thoughtful reply and Happy Wednesday! :)
      February 8, 2017 5:32 AM MST

Hello Rosie:

I wish I had something more lofty.  I don't.  We're here to propagate.  That's all.

excon
      February 7, 2017 5:36 AM MST

I have always thought we were here to be kind, helpful and useful to one another. Propagation would be the natural outcome of that I suppose. But existing merely so that others like us will exist in the future may be true my friend but it certainly isn't satisfying to me. It means we are here because we are here and we must insure that others will be here in the future and so on and so on and so on. That's like reading a story that has no end. Thank you for your reply excon! :)
      February 8, 2017 5:35 AM MST

• Like Topsy, we just growed.

Those of us who are lucky find purpose, but it's purpose we create for ourselves or borrow from others. Those of us who are not so lucky just blunder along pointlessly.
      February 7, 2017 12:08 PM MST

I think we are here to be kind, helpful and useful to one another. The closer we get to that goal the more surely we will have fulfilled our purpose and what we are here to do. T'would be nice if everyone could get on board with that. In my opinion. Thank you for your reply Didge! :)
      February 8, 2017 5:37 AM MST

When you were  born that meant there was a shortage of one person in the world and you were sent to fill that vacancy. Now your purpose is to make a life for yourself. 
      February 7, 2017 12:37 PM MST

That's it? That's all there is? Sounds so perfunctory and regimented. Where is the heart? Where is the passion? Where is the vision? Any domino would do? It was my turn?  SIGH. Thank you for your reply Kg!  :) Was the same true for thee?
      February 8, 2017 5:30 AM MST

As a human there are many possibilities and opportunities  open where we can make some purpose for our lives.
    To give some thought though I am kind of glad that when my life began that the world did not happen to be short a bedbug or a cockroach or a snake or something. 
      February 8, 2017 7:34 AM MST

We are here to decide if we will follow God
     To determine if we if we have eternal life in heaven. Not everyone gets in or it would not be heaven.
      February 8, 2017 5:55 AM MST

not sure, im still trying to figure that out
      February 8, 2017 10:25 AM MST