Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Do you have a phobia or does somebody you know have one?

Do you have a phobia or does somebody you know have one?

How do you handle it?

Posted - February 8, 2017

Responses

• Spiders. I handle it by beating the living daylights out of any I find. I don't clean up the dead body either. No, I leave the body out to warn other spiders not to screw with me... I may have a sadistic side. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 8, 2017 4:31 PM MST
      February 8, 2017 11:39 AM MST

• I was sitting on a platform one day waiting for the train when a spider dropped out of a shrub onto my bare arm. I was turning the arm back and forth, watching him move around, when I got a look at the face of the woman sitting next to me. I think she had a phobia, too. I put it back in the shrub.
      February 8, 2017 11:43 AM MST

• Yeah, I would have killed it after screaming alittle bit, lol.
      February 8, 2017 12:55 PM MST

• Aww... :)
      February 8, 2017 1:40 PM MST

Water over my head. When I was about 10, I was pushed into very deep water.  I can't swim.  I almost drowned. I don't like deep water.
      February 8, 2017 11:55 AM MST

• I can understand that. I'll bet lots of people have a fear of water for exactly the same reason. Glad you made it out OK.
      February 8, 2017 1:52 PM MST

i have a couple of them but i havent solved it at all
      February 8, 2017 1:55 PM MST

• It's not easy. I've been fighting acrophobia all my life. I cango almost anything I want now, but I can still feel it clawing at my nerves. They're persistent, aren't they. 
      February 8, 2017 3:45 PM MST

I used to have a ton of them; most I have overcome.

I still have a few like the fear of heights and wide open places.  Guess flying in a tiny plane over the ocean would be out for me.  
      February 8, 2017 3:49 PM MST

I would never ride in a small plane. Give me a 747 any day.
      February 8, 2017 4:00 PM MST

I would never ride in one either.  No way.  

I'm claustrophobic too.  

A cramped small plane over a big open ocean would be beyond terror for me.
      February 8, 2017 4:02 PM MST

• You might be surprised. My acrophobia was very restrictive when I was young but it didn't affect me in an aircraft. Mind you, my first hang glider flight was a challenge. :(
      February 8, 2017 5:40 PM MST

I never thought I would be able to get onto any airplane, but I did.  Not crazy about flying, but it doesn't stop me from traveling if given the opportunity.

It is true actually that the fear of heights isn't really so bad in a plane.  I would probably feel it more in a hot air balloon or a helicopter.
      February 8, 2017 5:45 PM MST

• Haven't tried a helicopter but a hot air balloon is about as exciting as riding in a bus. Except for the dogs. They can hear the burner as you fly over and they go BERSERK! 
      February 8, 2017 6:01 PM MST

• I really don't like daddy long legs, craneflies - I respect them enormously as one of the most ancient creatures, but i seriously hate it when they fly.. they are so erratic.  I really can't bear then in the house.. so... unusually for the UK I have a screen door and I put signs up at daddy long legs season to remind anyone who uses the door to make sure they also close the screen door.. stops them flying in when you open the door.. 

I once worked wth a colleague who thought it was very funny to alert me whenever one flew in the fan thingy in the window... once I knew they were there I couldn't rest until it was gone..  i never hurt them, they are harmless, but I would catch them in a glass and throw them out.. if I was working at the end with the fan I switched it to blow air out not take air in. 

I am not fond of spiders and have declared war on the false black widows we have.. hate them.. but I learned a long time ago to love the daddy long legs spider 
      February 8, 2017 3:54 PM MST

• Reminds me of a former neighbour. 6'5" tall, weight in at 23 stones, was as strong as a bull, and was terrified of anything that crept and crawled. The big thing about phobias is that they're irrational and there's not a lot you can do about it. Most of the time. :)

Thanks for sharing. 
      February 8, 2017 5:42 PM MST

Driving on the freeway.
    I was in a car accident about 15 years ago and have not driven on the freeway since then.
    I will ride with a few people I really trust on the freeway but I am still nervous.
      February 8, 2017 3:59 PM MST

You are not alone!  I have been in some minor accidents and to this day, I cannot drive a big busy highway that has more than 2 lanes.  Even being a passenger can make me feel anxious on certain roads.  I live in an area that has many busy, big highways too.  Uuugh.
      February 8, 2017 4:05 PM MST

• Very understandable, Mom. 
      February 8, 2017 5:43 PM MST

Oh...and I am somewhat phobic of dental procedures.  I have had bad experiences with dentists and the inability to get numb enough.

I do go every six months, but dread it every time and feel enormous relief if there is nothing needed to drill.
      February 8, 2017 4:10 PM MST

• A lot of people feel that way, PeaPod. Nasty.
      February 8, 2017 5:44 PM MST

I once met a dentist that really understood.  I looked at him and told him that I "hated dentists".  Without missing a beat, he quipped, "Me too."   He was so gentle and I had no pain with him.  Unfortunately, he retired soon after I found him.

This post was edited by PeaPod is just popping by at February 8, 2017 5:58 PM MST
      February 8, 2017 5:48 PM MST

• I've been seeing an ophthalmologist who may have to inject my pupil. I'm looking forward to that about as much as I would a dentist appointment. 
      February 8, 2017 5:58 PM MST

Ouch.  Yeh, that does not sound fun Didge.  I'm slated for a lot of sinus surgery in three weeks.  I am trying to not freak out.  Medical stuff can really suck.
      February 8, 2017 7:12 PM MST