Active Now

my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » Do you ever click on the Google ads on the answerMug pages?

Do you ever click on the Google ads on the answerMug pages?

Do you enjoy them or do they irritate you? Have you found anything useful in them? 

Posted - February 8, 2017

Responses

• I've never clicked on any of them and probably never will. There's nothing there that interests me.
      February 8, 2017 10:45 AM MST

• I use adblock plus and never see ads but after a discussion last month I realised that the site needs us to click on them to raise revenue. I wouldn't anticipate ever acting on any of them, though.
      February 8, 2017 10:52 AM MST

• Well that's good to know. I'll start clicking on the ads then.
      February 8, 2017 10:54 AM MST

• I did look into that bobcat box thing and the experiment they are trying with it does sound interesting kinda.
      February 8, 2017 11:01 AM MST

• I haven't clicked that one yet. Must do. 
      February 8, 2017 11:05 AM MST

• They flat-out admit that most of what you get is gonna be worthless crap and that you should only sign up if the idea of having something unknown in your mailbox each day is worth the dollar.  I get what they are trying to do by using a bot though and think it's kind of  neat idea.

The fact they don't try and deny but embrace the fact most of it will be worhtless impressed me from an honesty standpoint. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 8, 2017 1:38 PM MST
      February 8, 2017 11:18 AM MST

• A lucky dip from grown ups. It has its appeal. :)
      February 8, 2017 1:39 PM MST

• A few times just so the site can get the revenue.   Don't pay attention them though.
      February 8, 2017 10:51 AM MST

• Yeah. I disabled my ad blocker for this site for that reason.
      February 8, 2017 10:53 AM MST

• I whitelisted it.   If I understood it correctly the revenue comes from people following them here so I'll click a few once in awhile.
    I whitelist most sites if they don't have intrusive ads, pop-ups, or GIF ads. Internet advertisers really need to start thinking logically about how they do it instead of complaining about adblockers.  They make them way too intrusive and resource hogging then complain when people just block them.  Sure those things grab your attention but only if people are willing to put up with them.  They aren't adapting and stuck in old thinking too often.
      February 8, 2017 10:57 AM MST

• Good thoughts, Glis. Some of them are pretty hard to take. 
      February 8, 2017 11:07 AM MST

Yep, that is revenue for JA to upgrade and maintain the site.  
      February 8, 2017 11:01 AM MST

• That's the point, isn't it.
      February 8, 2017 11:07 AM MST

I do it because I appreciate all that JA has done here and I know she invests a lot of time and a lot of herself into this.  I have no interest in the ads, and generally ignore all ads on all other websites.
      February 8, 2017 11:39 AM MST

• We have similar attitudes, Bozette. This is the first site where I ever disabled my ad blocker.
      February 8, 2017 11:44 AM MST

• Yeah,  the fact is just someone doing out of their home makes me take a different approach.
    If it was just some big internet company I wouldn't care to bother at all.

February 8, 2017 1:05 PM MST

• "Yes" ... I have been recently. Did well in National Monuments and old TV shows. :)
      February 8, 2017 11:03 AM MST

• I liked the WWII quiz. 
      February 8, 2017 11:08 AM MST

• Did they have my uncle in it? John Steele ...
    the guy hanging from the church in Saint Mere Eglise?

Played by Red Buttons in "The Longest Day"

February 8, 2017 11:23 AM MST

• Not that I recall. :)
      February 8, 2017 11:39 AM MST

• Sorry ... haven't had my coffee yet .... Battle of Normandy.
    I'll have to check it out.
      February 8, 2017 11:44 AM MST

The banner ads at the top of the page are more interesting so I usually click on them but I'm done clicking on any of the the six on the bottom of the page. It's never what they say they are.  I went through fifty pages and it never told me how Taylor Swift voted!
      February 8, 2017 11:12 AM MST

• I've chased through a few of those, too. Exasperating. :)
      February 8, 2017 11:40 AM MST

Strange, I dont see any google ads at all, here on AM. Cant I hope that google have analyzed my YouTube behaviour and my Dicuss behaviour and my gmail behaviour enough to know that they are casting pearls before swine in my case?
    Or maybe just enough to realize that before doing that they better make sure they have some pearls to cast, and not just a lot of bunnypoo.
      February 8, 2017 12:09 PM MST