Active Now

Spunky
Randy D
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Random Knowledge » Do you use all the vacation time your company gives you?

Do you use all the vacation time your company gives you?

Posted - July 11, 2016

Responses

Nice!

July 13, 2016 4:27 AM MDT

Not all of it, but up to 40 hours a year. Usually I do so that someone that's having health issues can have the surgery they need and not worry as much about rushing back to work.
      July 13, 2016 5:28 AM MDT

Yes, I usually do. The policy where I work gives employees 30 vacation days per year, and if we don't use them we lose them. If an employee can proof that failure to use a certain portion of the 30 days is the organization's fault, those specific days can be restored the following year. There are also some restrictions as to how the 30 days can be used.

I have only lost vacation days once or twice throughout the decade+ amount of time I've been an employee here, and it was truly an eye-opener. I have since adopted a "take a day or two here and there during the year" self-imposed plan so that I don't have to scramble in late Nov or Dec to take days before the year ends.

We earn 15 days of sick leave also, and there's the opportunity to be awarded extra vacation days as performance incentives. One year I racked up 15 extra vacation days in addition to my allotted 30.

~
      July 13, 2016 6:11 AM MDT

That's the same at my job: we can voluntarily donate hours to other employees who have exhausted all of theirs.

~
      July 13, 2016 6:15 AM MDT

Since I was a teacher we got lots of time off. I didn't use the time for so-called "vacation". I worked on my homes, a part time job at a tennis club and golf range and actually went to Maine twice for visits. So I guess my answer would be no.

July 13, 2016 6:23 AM MDT

We were able to give away sick days.

July 13, 2016 6:25 AM MDT