Active Now

Element 99
Slartibartfast
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Bill Nye the Science Guy says kids are brainwashed at the Noah's Ark Museum in Kentucky. It is a Christian attraction. Did he expect the owners/attendees to go against their beliefs? Why?

Bill Nye the Science Guy says kids are brainwashed at the Noah's Ark Museum in Kentucky. It is a Christian attraction. Did he expect the owners/attendees to go against their beliefs? Why?

Posted - July 12, 2016

Responses

He would probably also say that Christianity is brain washing on all counts... Who cares what he says.. It will never stop a religious person believing.. Christians have been willing to face execution and torture and have not given up their belief..

He is just waging a war of words against Christianity.. The old method of throw enough mud enough times and some of it will stick.. Or people will start to believe it if you repeat it enough..   

July 12, 2016 6:44 AM MDT

Actually, Noah's Ark is a Jewish myth that was commandeered by Christianity along with the rest of what became known as the Old Testament. Perhaps the brainwashing started with Jesus and his band of apostles.
      July 12, 2016 6:55 AM MDT

it's a Sumerian myth that Judaism copied from it. It's in the 11th tablet of the epic of Gilgamesh.

July 12, 2016 7:56 AM MDT

Thank you for that info Siegfriend. I did not know that although I believe on another question thread of mine you brought up the epic of Gilgamesh as well. Honestly I have heard of it but I know nothing about it. Are  you a Gilgamesh scholar perchance m'dear? Happy Tuesday! :)

July 12, 2016 8:16 AM MDT

Stories of the flood are earth wide. Although details differ the meat of it is similar.

"Flood Legend in Other Cultures

15 Even earlier than the account in the Epic of Gilgamesh is the Sumerian myth that presents “Ziusudra, the counterpart of the biblical Noah, who is described as a pious, a god-fearing king, constantly on the lookout for divine revelations in dreams or incantations.” (Ancient Near Eastern Texts Relating to the Old Testament) According to the same source, this myth “offers the closest and most striking parallel to biblical material as yet uncovered in Sumerian literature.” The Babylonian and Assyrian civilizations, which came later, were influenced by the Sumerian."

"Legends With a Kernel of Truth

Stories about demigods, giants, and a cataclysmic flood are found in ancient mythologies worldwide. For example, the Akkadian Epic of Gilgamesh mentions a flood, a ship, and survivors. Gilgamesh himself was described as a lustful, violent demigod, or part god, part man. Aztec mythology tells of an ancient world inhabited by giants and of a great deluge. Norse legend describes a race of giants and a wise man named Bergelmir who constructed a large boat and saved himself and his wife. The combined testimony of all such legends corroborates the Bible’s testimony that all humans have descended from the survivors of a deluge that destroyed an ancient wicked world."

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/s/r1/lp-e?q=%22Anthropologists+have+collec...

Did It Really Happen?

Anthropologists have collected as many as 270 flood legends from nearly all tribes and nations. “The flood story is found throughout the world,” says scholar Claus Westermann. “Like the creation narrative, it is part of our basic cultural heritage. It is truly astonishing: everywhere on earth we find stories of a great primeval flood.” The explanation? Says expositor Enrico Galbiati: “The insistent presence of a flood tradition in different and widely separated peoples is a sign of the historical reality of the fact that lies at the base of such traditions.” More important to Christians than scholarly observations, however, is the knowledge that Jesus himself spoke of the Flood as an actual event in the history of mankind.—Luke 17:26, 27.

July 12, 2016 8:17 AM MDT

Perhaps. However my point is this. Why would he  be surprised that Christian beliefs are being exhibited/taught there? I don't get it. When you attend church you know what you will encounter in terms of what is being said. Why would he think a Christian entertainment facility would be anything less? Thank you for your reply StuB and Happy Tuesday to thee! :)

July 12, 2016 8:18 AM MDT

He has a right to his opinion of course Adam. What I don't understand is why he would find fault with a Christian entertainment facility teaching/promulgating Christian views? Isn't it obvious that would be what they would do? You go to a religion-based school and you are going to expect to have that religion's beliefs taught. Bill Nye isn't ignorant. I must be missing something here. What would he expect to find? Thank you for your reply! :)

July 12, 2016 8:21 AM MDT

He expected them to do whatever they wanted.  He is commenting about the fact that in his world of science, there is no proof of this Fairy Tale.

July 12, 2016 8:33 AM MDT

"""""He has a right to his opinion of course Adam."""""

Where did i say he never had the right to his own opinion Rosie??? 

Why did you think you needed to make that statement? As if you automatically assume i do not believe or want to see his right to having his own opinion suppressed???

"""""What I don't understand is why he would find fault with a Christian entertainment facility teaching/promulgating Christian views?"""""

Because he hates Christianity and is waging his own anti-christanity jihad/crusade, what ever you want to call it.. It is not a case that he cannot understand why Christians would put forward a christian view.. He understands that for sure.. He says what he says because he wants Christians to no longer share their opinions and teachings..  He is probably the one who does not think the Christians there have a right to their Opinion....

July 12, 2016 8:52 AM MDT

@ Rosie

The Christian belief is that the Flood was a world wide event and according to scriptures the entire world population after the flood was gathered together into one community called Babel.. It was only after this community was broken up and the people divided that humanity occupied all the landmass's of the world.. So it is logical that different peoples all over the world would have a ""World flood disaster"" story in their cultural historical stories..  As thus we see world flood stories in many cultures all over the world and thats how it should be, because the people divided at the time of the tower of Babel would have carried with them the story and would over time adapt that story to their localized cultural experience.  But the Christian belief is that God contacted Abraham and made a people from his descendants and revealed to them the correct story of the great flood and thus we have the story of Noah..

July 12, 2016 8:58 AM MDT

No he knew exactly what the museums purpose is....he just disagrees so he is looking to make some attention for himself.  Not the first time he has went after Ken Ham,  the owner of the museum either.  The Ham and Nye had a  "debate" about creation/evolution a few years back. Nye maybe looking for more attention or another "debate".

I did not get to see it but I heard it was not much of a debate, each just made their case and ignored what the other said.

July 12, 2016 9:29 AM MDT

It wasn't built for the likes of him Sharonna. It's like going to a religion-based school and faulting the staff for teaching religion-based values. How absurd is that? I found it to be very disturbing. I like Bill Nye t he Science guy but seriously this was ridiculous. OF COURSE the Christian entertainment site would promulgate what Christians believe. Isn't that a no-brainer? Thank you for your reply! :)

July 12, 2016 9:46 AM MDT

I was thinking something similar...Noah was not a Christian. Christ would not be born for thousands of years after Noah...so how can Christians call it a Christian attraction? I guess they are quite ignorant. Isn't the Bible's Old Testament the Jewish Torah?

July 12, 2016 9:52 AM MDT

• Meh. Christians and atheists always accuse each other of being "brainwashed", but it doesn't really mean anything. 

July 12, 2016 9:55 AM MDT

• Various cultures around the world also have stories and depictions of dragons--it doesn't mean they exist or ever existed either.

It's more likely that flood myths developed from ancient peoples observing marine fossils in areas that were once submerged under the sea due to plate tectonics. There are places where people can observe fossils of seashells and fish in mountainous areas--some theorize that ancient peoples figured these were due to a global flood. They would've had no way of knowing that the land shifted such over millions of years that these mountains were once sea floor. 

July 12, 2016 9:57 AM MDT

I think he may have a point.

July 12, 2016 10:06 AM MDT

"But the Christian belief is that God contacted Abraham and made a people from his descendants and revealed to them the correct story of the great flood and thus we have the story of Noah."

Actually, it was a Sumerian and Jewish belief first. A strong argument can be made that Christianity is largely plagiarism. Goyim!

July 12, 2016 11:00 AM MDT

Nevan, are you a Christian, atheist or something else? (The reason I ask is that you in some threads have come off as in being a Christian, mainstream in your assertions that ones like myself are in a cult. If you are not a Christian, I wan't approach you as having a Christian point of view as I don't want to assume something in error.)

July 12, 2016 1:10 PM MDT

• You can say I'm "something else". I am a theist, but I don't follow a particular religion. I was raised Catholic, so that does influence my beliefs and attitudes (and I do not believe that JW are a cult, even if I don't agree with many of their tenets, but some of them, such as the rejection of eternal hell, I agree with 100%).

But the main tenet I have is that I do not believe in the concept of there being one true religion, and I don't believe the Bible is a greater or lesser source of spiritual knowledge than any other religious text, such as the Qur'an or the Bhagavad Gita. I've studied various religions and believe that truth can be found in any of them. 

July 12, 2016 1:14 PM MDT

WOW! Quick response. Less than 4 minutes. lol

Are you familiar with the prophecy about the timing of the Messiah?

http://answermug.com/forum/topics/are-you-familiar-with-the-prophecy-about-the-timing-of-the

July 12, 2016 1:17 PM MDT