Discussion » Questions » answerMug Members » Orright, Where's The Teenagers?

Orright, Where's The Teenagers?

I met some great old folks on aMug yesterday, so now, how about the teens?
I mean, how ima learn about texting and stuff without the teens? 
Prolly get sad, no teens here on aMug?

Posted - February 21, 2017

Responses

theyre probably in school right now or doing tons of homework
      February 22, 2017 10:39 AM MST

• To be perfectly honest I'm glad there aren't many here. I just don't think internet sites that have adults is appropriate for teenagers and kids.  In my mind it's like bringing a 15yo to the nightclub or  bar.

Yes I know the US is very strict about about the drinking age compared to the rest of the world but the analogy still works.
      February 22, 2017 11:25 AM MST

• Plus they are annoying as hell and think they know everything about everything. . .oh. ...wait a minute. . . 
      February 22, 2017 11:59 AM MST

• That part doesn't bother me so much.  Ignorance from lack of experience doesn't grind me like ignorance by  choice.
      February 22, 2017 12:11 PM MST

• They are equally annoying to me. It is not the not knowing, that bugs me. It's the not knowing, but knowing that they know, without really knowing. You know?
      February 22, 2017 1:18 PM MST

• That's human nature.  You can't know that you don't know until you do know.
      February 22, 2017 1:20 PM MST

• How do you know?
      February 22, 2017 1:23 PM MST

• Hi Glis, and Lago...

I like 'em...and I have come to wonder if one of the great contributions of the Internet might be for teens to get some additional support in loco parentis...the bit about the whole community to raise a child...I even think I might have seen some of that happen!
      February 23, 2017 10:26 AM MST

• Ok
      February 23, 2017 11:08 AM MST

• Ummmm...doesn't look like I have "sold" you on all this, Lago!
      February 23, 2017 11:10 AM MST

• Well, some people like kids, some don't. I did my time with children and teenagers. So, no, im good. Nothing wrong with it, if you have the inclination and patience, so, by all means, be all you can be, Ms Virginia, just not my thing.
      February 23, 2017 11:17 AM MST

• You know Lago...thought I might just continue this with you a bit...
    Because truthfully, I don't really have the patience, OR the inclination particularly..it's more just that I have seen it happen!
    ...in my VAST Internet experience Ask.com then Blurt, now here...

Teens who clearly could use some orientation, and they appear to be finding it on the well-moderated Q/A sites. I have not even been the person to give all this, because truly I don't have much interest or talent there...never had children...but I am fascinated by Internet the potential for human connection, friendship, learning and growth - and you never even need to get out of your bathrobe!

And the teenagers, the extra "parenting" they can get, seems to be a part of that potential...
      February 23, 2017 1:47 PM MST

• Like I said, that's great. You are probably right, but I can only talk for myself when I say I have no.desire, interest or inclination to mentor, tutor, or in any way converse about anything with a teenager. 
    I'll leave that pleasure to.others.

February 23, 2017 4:23 PM MST

• ty, Lago!
      February 23, 2017 4:27 PM MST

• Not saying something can't be learned from each but I stand by it.  Children and teens shouldn't be on sites with adults. Nor do I think it's wise to allow them to have facebook accounts or any kind of profile type site where they post about themselves.  It's a dangerous place and for the internet to be of value it's always going to be.

I don't have children myself but I believe 100% that allowing anyone under 17 there own internet access in any form is  a bad idea and not advisable.  I think it's mad that 13 have smartphones and bedroom internet access. Like I said though I never had children so it's a pretty useless opinion. I still can't help what business they have with those things.
      February 23, 2017 12:52 PM MST

• Glis I would likely have said the same thing...but you do see sites that are well-moderated...idk, your comments give me pause, definitely valid points, thank you.

I don't have children either, although I did participate in raising a god daughter and her two siblings...would not want to try in this era of smartphone essentiality, either...

February 23, 2017 1:51 PM MST

• You're sounding like one of those know-it-all contrarian teenagers right now.  Just sayin'. ;)
      February 23, 2017 12:53 PM MST

Yes---simple ignorance (OK) vs consequent ignorance (lack of due knowledge & not ok).
      February 23, 2017 12:07 PM MST

right here 
      February 25, 2017 4:50 PM MST

• Ha! You found it :)
      February 25, 2017 4:52 PM MST

yup 
      February 25, 2017 4:53 PM MST

Sexting on SnapChat.
      February 25, 2017 4:55 PM MST