Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Discussion » Questions » Language » Is it politically correct to have a manicure?

Is it politically correct to have a manicure?

Shouldn't it be womanicure? Or personicure? If a woman wants a manicure does that indicate that she might be uncertain about her proclivities? 

Posted - February 25, 2017

Responses

• 'nkay, Dozy, this is word derivations which I totally love...

Because the 'man' in WOMAN comes from ancient Sanskrit manas, which designates our capacity for thought, the marvelous human mind...

However the word woman evolved from Old English wifmon, referring to the Wife of a Man...in other words merely the distaff appendage to the real thinker which is the man...and I am sure Mrs. Didge would want to have a discussion with you about THAT.

But the man in MANICURE derives from Latin manus, meaning hand, appended to your wrist irregardless of the gender of the holder...

So you see, although your concern is appreciated I think we are All Right Here!
      February 25, 2017 8:02 PM MST

• While lacking your erudition, Virginia, let me add just a little more. 

Woman is itself a sexist term because it contains "man".
    But female is not better because it contains "male".
    If we try feperson we're still up the creek because that contains "son".
    So we must eliminate "son" and the only word that can accurately describe a person of the non masculine persuasion is feperoffspring.
      February 25, 2017 8:08 PM MST

• Okay, I like that, gonna add it to my strictures for avoiding gender bias, here...
    ...see how educational it is here on aMug? This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 25, 2017 8:12 PM MST
      February 25, 2017 8:11 PM MST

No, manicure has the base man like in manual which means hands.
      February 25, 2017 8:28 PM MST

Manicure has the base man like in manual which means hands
      February 25, 2017 8:29 PM MST

Yes, manicure has the base man like in manual which means hands
      February 25, 2017 8:29 PM MST

• Well, what an awful thing to suggest. I'm sure it means bloke, or guy, or fellow, or chap. Viva la revolucion! 
      February 25, 2017 8:33 PM MST

Perhaps many meanings. I told you. English is a cumbersome language :)
    Many learn it.
    Few master it. This post was edited by O-uknow at February 25, 2017 8:40 PM MST
      February 25, 2017 8:37 PM MST

• Same goes for humour. :)
      February 25, 2017 8:40 PM MST

Aye, indeed. I got the humor.
      February 25, 2017 8:44 PM MST

it sounds okay to me
      February 25, 2017 8:38 PM MST

• I was just being silly, Pearl. Silly is my normal state. :)

It's early here, the sun isn't up yet and dawn has only just broken, and I can hear a kookaburra laughing out there somewhere. I'm gonna have to go off line for a while and take my morning walk. 
      February 26, 2017 12:19 PM MST