Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Spooky Action At A Distance?

Spooky Action At A Distance?

This was actually Albert Einstein’s way of expressing his dislike for quantum theory, because quantum mechanics seem to indicate everything is interconnected!

…so quantumly, if you tickle one electron here on Earth, its partner on the moon does the laughing…butterfly effect...
However Einstein claimed NO, you CAN go out and look at the night sky, and it does not materially affect the whole cosmos…

So what do you think, did  John Donne (1572-1631) preview quantum theory in his poetry “no man is an island,” and “ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee,” or was Einstein correct, that we CAN actually think a thought or do a deed that does not affect everyone/everything else in the entire cosmos? 

(I almost have to recuse myself from this Q…thoroughly biased in favor of the quantum stuff from studying Buddhism…)

Posted - February 26, 2017

Responses

• Personally I think both were correct. Donne's "island" doesn't imply that all our actions affect other people although, of course, many of our actions carry a ripple effect and some of those ripples are larger than others.

I know nothing of quantum physics -- it's outside my field of knowledge -- but I do know something that you may not. Everybody has heard of the Pauli Principle but have you ever heard of the Pauli Effect? Wolfgang Pauli was a klutz. When he was in a laboratory equipment would get broken, experiments would fail -- apparently for no reason. He didn't even have to be doing the experiments himself; it was sufficient that he was present. 
      February 26, 2017 7:57 PM MST

• Dozy that is wonderful, ty...
    I had actually kinda heard of that, the Pauli Effect, although I forgot it was named for him...I learned it as typical of theoretical physicists, lab equipment spontaneously flying off and crashing around them...
      February 26, 2017 8:04 PM MST

• I think the latest versions of the twin slit .. light as both wave and particle... Price that the observer has an effect ... Then of course there's Mr Schrödinger's cat to contend with!
    I agree with Didge re John Donne ... We are interconnected whether we know it or not ... I once read that any two people on earth, be there an Eskimo and an aboriginal, are less than 50 th cousins removed and it can be proven.
    I also think you may have mistaken chaos effect (the butterfly wings) with quantum mechanics .... They may be related and I may be wrong :)
      February 26, 2017 9:05 PM MST

• Nah, you are right about the butterfly wings, Ozgirl..."sensitive dependence on initial conditions"...I just threw it in because I thought it sounded good. Well, actually, truth is, I do think the future will show the interrelationships between quantum and chaos!

Anyway, ty for thoughtful observations...
      February 26, 2017 10:27 PM MST

• Hey, I enjoy your questions ... It's nice to get past three syllables lol .. and you may be right... Some entanglement going on perhaps?
      February 26, 2017 10:31 PM MST

• Yes! That was the term on YouTube for the electrons...entanglement! New to me...as you can tell, quite fascinating.
      February 26, 2017 10:40 PM MST

Science is based on observations. Some modern theories have led away from that basis, so it is difficult to know whether you are hearing science or bullstuff. For example, astronomers say the sun is powered by fusion, but they have nothing more than a math model to support that. Fusion implies that the inside is hotter than the outside, and observations reveal that the reverse is true. If you point that out, they shout insults at you until you go away. This is not a healthy situation.

A lot of what is called science is nothing more than guessing. They have announced the discovery of water on Mars every time somebody gets married, farts, or dies, and still no water. They insist that dust storms are due to winds, but there isn't enough atmosphere on Mars to make a wind. They publish a movie of a dust devil with lightning bolts, but continue to deny that electric charge has any effect except in equipment specifically designed to use it. Ever hear of the Oort cloud? It was invented in 1938 by Ian Oort to fudge his data to agree with his theories, and now it is accepted as basic science. Even Isaac Newton fudged his data to agree with his theory of gravity.
      February 26, 2017 9:15 PM MST

• Oh Jewels, the Oort cloud just stirs the faintest of memories...but ima Google it, sounds fascinating!

I also am not enamoured of scientific materialism...lots of fudging goes on, or maybe just ineptness, and we the public take the consequences...
      February 26, 2017 10:31 PM MST

Have you ever heard of "The Butterfly Effect"? I f you have then you know, given time, anything no matter how minor can change everything. If the universe is somewhat fluid not too unlike water how can anything operate within it without effecting current, density, water level, temperature etc.. on its environment and therefore effecting everything in it? We don't have the tools to measure what effect every object has on another but I tell you this. A pulsar emitting deadly radiation a million years ago would effect us now if it was a million light years away. When the event began we were not humans on Earth yet and so you see cause and effect separated only by time but still an effect. Particles may be linked to each other through subspace on some subatomic level. This post was edited by O-uknow at February 26, 2017 10:32 PM MST
      February 26, 2017 9:18 PM MST

• That is fascinating O-uknow, you have pondered about all this interconnection too...
    And that pulsar emitting radiation one million years ago certainly gives meaning to the cosmic impact of time...ty for your interesting comments! This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 26, 2017 10:36 PM MST
      February 26, 2017 10:36 PM MST