Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Discussion » Questions » Emotions » How do you handle a betrayal from someone you were very close to like a family member, best friend, or romantic partner?

How do you handle a betrayal from someone you were very close to like a family member, best friend, or romantic partner?

I would imagine we all have had that moment we realized we have been gravely betrayed.  Can you share?  How did you handle the emotion at the time and how did you resolve it?  

I am dealing with a betrayal that involves a sibling.  Sometimes it is a fist to the gut when you learn the truth about someone you loved.

Posted - February 27, 2017

Responses

I like this answer for the reality check it provides, and for eliminating any possibility of a repeat performance. I took this stance with a sibling who nurtured a dark side that is frightening. The result is a comforting distance that I can depend upon for the rest of my life. We email each other at Christmas and our birthdays, but that's all. It's the most comfortable way of making sure her dark side does not drift into my life again. As for the emotional investment in family -- divesting was more satisfying. 
      February 27, 2017 3:55 PM MST

We had a history before our mother died and I thought that maybe we were moving to a place where we could just keep friendly tabs on each other, but not get too involved.  Because of social media and mutual friends and family, it's not so easy.  I gave up my whole Facebook account to get away from her.  It's sad because I miss those same mutual family and friends we had.

February 27, 2017 4:06 PM MST

• Rath, Good to see you.
    I believe there is merit in putting the ball back into their court. First, as you mention, that comfortable distance is established.
    Then, leaving an uncertain closure will force the hand of the offender to express remorse, or remain obstinate. Remorse may yet produce an apology, then the power to forgive (or not) is in put into your hands.
    If obstinate, you will be reaffirmed in taking the first measure and in moving on without guilt and without them.
    I am not the type, nor can I advocate just withdrawing into a corner, to sob as the sole response to an egregious betrayal. But, that's me.  This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 27, 2017 5:14 PM MST
      February 27, 2017 4:09 PM MST

There is merit in all these methods. I have found that pushing away and keeping them there by using courtesy without warmth works for me. She doesn't know why I haven't invited her into my life, but she recognizes that there exits a boundary she must not cross. I don't need an autopsy to know our childhood is finished. It sounds hard, but I need to protect myself. 
      February 27, 2017 4:24 PM MST

• You erase them. 
      February 27, 2017 3:54 PM MST

In today's world, you "delete" them.
      February 27, 2017 4:07 PM MST

• Yeah, I suppose you're right.
    Why don't I use delete instead of erase? 
    I wonder what that says?
    Maybe deleting is like Super final, erasing there may a chance of them seeing the.light. maybe.
    Good comment!!!!!!

February 27, 2017 4:13 PM MST

Yeah, since many of us have a digital connection to family that may not live close by, "delete" would be the word if you are cutting ties.
      February 27, 2017 4:52 PM MST

• It depends on the level of the betrayal.

Rule of thumb? Don't be a doormat. Personally I prefer to trust people so I'm vulnerable to betrayal by anybody. Once. If I allow it to happen twice then I'm an idiot and it's on my own head.
      February 27, 2017 4:07 PM MST

I was finally learning NOT to be one and I did stand up to her months before this latest.  She begged my forgiveness, which I gave.  Then it turns out, she only did that to make our dying mother happy.  Imagine being told that...all on a public shaming post on social media that we shared.  Nothing led up to the incident either.  She just unloaded one night, obviously after getting herself pickled (she is an alcoholic).  

Obviously, there are things that cannot be undone and because I know there is no more forgiveness to offer, I mourn a loss like any other death in my family.  It's sad because we have a lot of mutual family and friends that are left on the sidelines, not wanting to take sides.  I just made it easy for everyone and left.
      February 27, 2017 4:21 PM MST

• I'm so sorry that happened, PeaPod. Because I don't use social media it's easy for me to dissociated myself from such things but I know it's important to you to keep in touch with the rest of your family. At leasst you've learned now that she can't be trusted. I'm sure the rest of your family can see through her, too. I hope so. 
      February 27, 2017 4:26 PM MST

THAT is probably the most painful part for me is.  I only really had the FB account because most of my family and friends are scattered all over the country and the world.  It was a valuable way of locating family on my mother's side that I was just getting to know (they live outside the US and I never got to know them until after she died).  It was really healing having them there as I worked through my grief of losing my mom.  I think my sister saw those connections and may have been jealous.  It's only a guess on my part since I have no answers on what prompted this sudden lashing.  I don't know what others believe and I refuse to answer back in such a place.  I simply left, knowing I had no control.  I figure if anyone really wants to keep in touch, they have my contact info.  
      February 27, 2017 4:40 PM MST

I don't get mad I get even.
    Screw me once shame on them. Screw me twice, watch out I am coming for you.
      February 27, 2017 4:14 PM MST

I bet you saved yourself a lot of grief taking a hard stand when someone does you wrong.  This is the way it should be.  No one has a right to mow over others, just because they can. 
      February 27, 2017 4:25 PM MST

I have been screwed over too many times. Never again.
      February 27, 2017 4:27 PM MST

As the way it should be!
      February 27, 2017 4:31 PM MST

• I feel the.same
      February 27, 2017 5:45 PM MST

I put the whole thing behind me until it festers into a mental illness. This post was edited by Zack at February 27, 2017 7:44 PM MST
      February 27, 2017 4:19 PM MST

I think a lot of people do that.  If people could easily communicate their feelings before things got really bad, most of us would be pretty level.
      February 27, 2017 4:22 PM MST

I will speak briefly about my ex-wife who is now dead and most likely back with the other succubi as of a few years ago...

Went off birth control without telling me because she wanted another kid and then blindsided me with a divorce after we just moved into a new house....

Her death brought much relief and final closure....

What did I learn?---Everyone has a right to avoid poisonous people and emotional vampires....because some people are just born broken.
      February 27, 2017 5:41 PM MST

Wow Tom.  That is rough and there are people that simply defy what is "right" in life.  Sometimes death is the only closure in that case. 

You are right that some are born broken and there is no amount of love that can change that.
      February 27, 2017 5:58 PM MST

• So true. Despite our best hopes or intentions, not everyone is redeemable or worth redeeming. Hard lesson to have lived.

Succubi,...very apt This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 28, 2017 5:12 AM MST
      February 27, 2017 6:16 PM MST

It was so unexpected and so very uncalled for.  Guess she thought I would not find out since it was all done behind my back.  Wrong! 
      February 27, 2017 6:39 PM MST

I'm sorry MS.  Most of these betrayals are totally uncalled for.  I'm sure this was going on behind my back too before it came out.  
      February 27, 2017 7:41 PM MST
  • AG

It may sound depressing, but while I try to see the best in people, I always expect betrayal. It rarely, if ever, surprises me anymore. So I'd get over it after telling them off. I just might not ever trust them ever again.
      March 3, 2017 8:42 AM MST