Active Now

Slartibartfast
Element 99
my2cents
DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » It appears that there is no accepted standard for right and wrong.

It appears that there is no accepted standard for right and wrong.

How can there every be a resolution to man's problems without such a standard? This point our creator is making quite evident by his permission of man doing things man's way. It would seem that if there is any delusions, believing that problems are going to be solved this way should be one.

Posted - July 13, 2016

Responses

I am saved.. I don't have to wait to know how things will work out for me.. I trust in the Words of Jesus on the Matter.  I trust in His righteousness.. Not my own. My righteousness are as filthy rags

July 14, 2016 6:50 AM MDT

It does appear that way. In today's world, the accepted standard for right and wrong is basically created by the individual. What one person believes is right may be viewed as wrong by another. Both can't be correct, that's an impossibility. So what are we left with?

July 14, 2016 8:28 AM MDT

1- Every organisation, from a world body, to a nation, a university campus, a club, a store or a family, has standards for what is considered right or wrong, that applies within its jurisdiction and which all who enter into that jurisdiction are deemed to accept. 

2- If you enter into a store to do your shopping you are deemed to accept the store's standard for right and wrong. If the store deems it wrong for you to do your shopping in your dressing gown or with your hoodie on then you have to accept that.

3- The store, like all other organisations, have standards for right and wrong aimed at making their system work smoothly and in fairness to all.

4- We can compare one store's standards with those of another and agree or disagree on which ones are better but what is undeniable is that they all have their own accepted standards for right and wrong.

5- The same applies to religions as well. We can compare one religion's standards with those of another and agree or disagree on which ones are better but what is undeniable is that all religions have their own accepted standards for right and wrong

July 21, 2016 5:31 PM MDT

That describes the problem but it doesn't solve it. The peace and unity that most desire will not be achieved without that standard. Fortunately it will not be left up to us to solve it, at best we can is recognize that we can't fix it on our own. http://www.jw.org/en/video-why-study-the-bible/
      July 23, 2016 8:20 AM MDT

There are acceptable standards.

This is wrong. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
      July 23, 2016 8:39 AM MDT

Don't we have those Ten Commandment thingies? All other standards are man-made.

July 13, 2016 6:29 AM MDT

There is an accepted standard, it's called the law. 

July 13, 2016 6:49 AM MDT

How sad that is if that is your compass. That is what describes the worth of a woman, and that says if you feel threatened you can kill someone.
      July 13, 2016 7:43 AM MDT

The question was about accepted standards.
      July 13, 2016 7:44 AM MDT

That is my compass, that and respect for other human beings. Don't feel sad, I am proud that this is my compass. 

I don't even understand what you are going on about on that second sentence. 

July 13, 2016 7:47 AM MDT

Having a standard will not provide a resolution to man's problems because people even when they agree with whats right and wrong will still do wrong because they are hopeless sinners.. We are faulty beings..

If everyone agreed with the standards of God then that may reduce the incidences of wrong being done but it will never stop wrong being done untill God transforms us into beings that can perform up to the correct standards..

July 13, 2016 7:50 AM MDT

July 13, 2016 8:08 AM MDT

Don't worry about it. If you are content with feeling like that you wouldn't be very concerned with a solution for the world's problem. https://www.jw.org/en/bible-teachings/questions/what-gods-kingdom-will-do/
      July 13, 2016 8:11 AM MDT

Of course the return of Jesus and the establishment of His kingdom will improve things but now for Jehovah's witnesses who have denied the Father and the Son..  Jesus will say to them.. depart from me  and i never knew you..

July 13, 2016 8:44 AM MDT

Hello again AdamAPAD. Like the first century Christians, JW's believe that the Father and the Son are two different individuals and JW's do not deny either of them. Notice that they are two individuals, not one individual:

(1 John 2:22) Who is the liar but the one who denies that Jesus is the Christ? This is the antichrist, the one who denies the Father and the Son.
    (2 John 9) Everyone who pushes ahead and does not remain in the teaching of the Christ does not have God. The one who does remain in this teaching is the one who has both the Father and the Son.
    (John 8:17, 18) Also, in your own Law it is written: ‘The witness of two men is true.’ 18 I am one who bears witness about myself, and the Father who sent me bears witness about me.”

Trinitarians are the ones that don't have the Father and the Son. They twist scriptures like John 10:30 and John 14:7 to make like they are the same. The Bible teaches that they are one in thought and purpose like the disciples are supposed to be and that Jesus is the image of God.

July 13, 2016 9:16 AM MDT

Thank you, once more, Captain Obvious. 

July 13, 2016 9:33 AM MDT

We will have to wait and see how that works out for both of us. I welcome it as do you. The Lord does not need my helping in judging.
      July 13, 2016 10:39 AM MDT