Active Now

Slartibartfast
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » When somebody falls flat on their face it can look funny to anybody watching.

When somebody falls flat on their face it can look funny to anybody watching.

What's the funniest or most unlikely fall you've ever had? And, yes, if you prefer it can be either literal or metaphorical.

Posted - March 1, 2017

Responses

I fail to see the humor in someone falling.  What is so funny about it to you?
      March 1, 2017 4:40 PM MST

• It's pure slapstick, Morning Star. Let me give you an example. 

One of my friends, a middle-aged guy, was learning to read Tarot cards and asked if he could read for me. He warned me that I was going to have an accident at work. A couple of weeks later I was carring a large carton about half full of manilla folders, and so big that I couldn't see around it. I missed my footing at the top of the stairs and took a dive that would have scored at least an 8.5 at the Olympics. Fortunately the box crushed under me and I was unhurt. 

So what was funny about that? My friend's reaction when I told him about it. He was so pleased! It may be the only thing he ever got right.

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 1, 2017 5:43 PM MST
      March 1, 2017 4:50 PM MST

I cringe every time I witness someone hurting themselves in any way.......I've also had my share of knocks and falls working with my dad when I was little...:(
      March 1, 2017 4:50 PM MST

• It happens. Some are funny, some are not. Ultimately I suppose it depends on whether anybody gets hurt. Check my comment below Morning Star's answer. 
      March 1, 2017 4:54 PM MST

I can understand people laughing after the fact and if no one was actually hurt in any way......I've watched my dad fall if a Rubbish skip  and his barrow chilled with concrete rubble land on top of him.......a really old lady rushed over to help him and her got up roaring with laughter with not a scratch on him........I still couldn't bare to laugh along with his and to this day still have that image of him falling imprinted in my head....... The rotter still laughs and delights in telling the story in front of me though.....lol
      March 1, 2017 5:12 PM MST

• I had a spectacular fall in which I was slightly injured (broke a bone in one hand and collected some bruises and  sprains) but it's too much to go into here. I'll make it my next blog post. Flying without wings. 
      March 1, 2017 5:14 PM MST

i dont think its funny when someone falls, that person can end up in a lot of pain cause of it, ive seen people fall and have had to get help for them
      March 1, 2017 4:58 PM MST

• You're a kind soul, Pearl. I've had some funny old falls myself, though. 
      March 1, 2017 5:15 PM MST

Nothing extraordinary for myself
    but not too long ago
    Kids seemed to find it funny
    to put a banana peel on the floor 
    and 
    deliberately step on it so that they would 
    fall on their butts, while all the rest of the kids
    stood around and laughed.
    They all thought it was funny...
    Funny? I don't think so...Stupid for sure
      March 1, 2017 5:02 PM MST

• Big risk to the coccyx, Baba. Pretty stupid. 
      March 1, 2017 5:15 PM MST

Well, once in high school, a boy fell in the lunchroom and landed with his face in a plate of chow mein. Some kids thought it was funny, but I have never been a fan of slapstick.Even as a child, I never laughed at cartoons that depicted anvils falling on Bugs Bunny, etc.  I fell on my face six months ago and badly broke both my arms so I'm even less inclined to find humor in it.
      March 2, 2017 1:07 AM MST

• Sorry to hear that, Jane. That must have been as inconvenient as it was painful. 
      March 2, 2017 9:38 AM MST