Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Arts » When does artwork turn into nudity?

When does artwork turn into nudity?

Category: Silly Questions.

No graphics. No censoring. Shoot, what's your take?

Meanwhile enjoy the clip and music...

JAY Z - Picasso Baby: A Performance Art Film from DERTV on Vimeo.

Posted - March 2, 2017

Responses

And context to the original question would be? I'm not sure I can follow your thought process here, sorry.
      March 2, 2017 1:40 PM MST

Tom, are you asking, and please correct me if I'm wrong, that the man in question still has his primary sex organ and he is shown on film having sexual relations with someone else?  Are you asking if the filmmaker only shows this film to men without testes, is this considered art?    
      March 2, 2017 1:50 PM MST

Hey, Harry.

It was definitely a random thought rather than an actual expression, and it was obviously tortuously expressed.

Kind of like the eunuch in the harem and if a tree falls in the forest, does it make a sound?  (I can answer the tree question by commenting on the nature of a sound wave and / or communication theory.)

But does anybody (including me) really care?

This post was edited by tom jackson at March 2, 2017 2:02 PM MST
      March 2, 2017 2:01 PM MST

Okay.  Whew, thanks. I won't try to answer your question about the filmmaker.  LOL!

But, in answer to this latest question, yes, I think people really care or they wouldn't ask the questions (or riddles as the case may be). ;-)
      March 2, 2017 2:39 PM MST

I was only referring to the fact that not even I was interested in trying to answer the question (or as you say, "riddle") that I posted.
      March 3, 2017 9:46 AM MST

The human form is art.
      March 2, 2017 9:19 PM MST

I agree Miss. :-)
      March 3, 2017 6:25 AM MST

Nudity is where a person does not have clothes on. 

I sell statues for a living. We had a Venus and an Birth of Venus (Venus on the Shell) and The Creation of Eve.....My daughter about 8yrs old asked us "Why we were selling naked women?". I told her how the were art made by Michaelangelo and she would learn about him later in school And they were nice to sell cause we got from $150-$1000 depending on which one and the size. She looked at us and said "OK, but it is still as naked lady."  After thinking about it, we decided she was right (out of the mouths of babes) and we quit carrying them.
      March 3, 2017 10:20 AM MST

To me that's art, although mass fabricated to make money out of it. Unlikely the unique Venus by Michelangelo. But reproductions will still be art. That's my belief. Btw, nudity isn't something to be ashamed by. IMO. It's as natural as it gets. We all got a body and what we got, anyone got. Making a secret about the naked body just makes it something forbidden and something to desire for out of all the wrong reasons. Again, IMO.
      March 3, 2017 10:52 AM MST

Of course they are reproductions.....no one is selling orginals.
    Something can be art and still be a nude. Your are correct the human body is not shameful but there is a time and a place for everything. I had customers who thanked me for removing them. Said they would have never said anything to me but purposely didn't bring their children/grandchildren. 
      March 3, 2017 11:23 AM MST

I won't debate you on this one. We disagree and that's how it is. Previously discussions/debates has shown me we somehow have difficulties finding a frequency where I feel we actually are listening to what the other is saying, and try understand where the other comes from. We could keep on saying this, and saying that. At the end of the day neither of us would have more understanding about where the other is coming from. I accept and feel it's unnecessary to burden each other with trivialities in polite words as we keep telling the other we look at it differently. Lets just conclude we agree to disagree. All my best and in all sincerity, have a lovely Friday.
      March 3, 2017 11:52 AM MST

Yes we do seem to have different views and yes I think we can certainly agree to disagree my You have a wonderful day as well. 
      March 3, 2017 12:02 PM MST

When I'm painting a ceiling up a ladder and Disrobe I'm wearing falls on the floor.....

I say this as Art's Work weren't very good and I'm having to finish it........if you ask me it all a bit of a cover UP being as its a ceiling I'm doing...... Hehe..... :)D
      November 5, 2017 8:37 AM MST