Active Now

Slartibartfast
Randy D
Element 99
DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Apart from politics, what's the most interesting news story in your area this week?

Apart from politics, what's the most interesting news story in your area this week?

Posted - March 2, 2017

Responses

it's interesting that the roads in my city are full of ruts, pot holes,
    uneven repairs, of the asphalt, when the sewer guys do their work.
    they are not even filling them in....
    otherwise Life is good, lot's of sunshine,
    our drought has finally ended after so many years,
    and
    many people are under water literally
    because of so much rain, like in San Jose
    down the way a bit...
         too many potholes
    truck needs alignment
    yikes...
    But what a beautiful day today....
    "Happy Thursday Didge"...LOLOL
      March 2, 2017 5:15 PM MST

• Sounds like quite a mix, Baba -- both good and bad. Not such a bad situation. :)

We had a drought here for more years than I can recall and, finally, the state government paid up to have a desalination plant built on the coast. Then, just about the time it was ready to start producing water, the rains came, our dams filled, and the thing has never been used. Still, it'll be there for future droughts.
      March 2, 2017 5:27 PM MST

wow...
    that's pretty cool,
    just in case
    I live on the coast as well
    that would be good
      March 2, 2017 5:40 PM MST

• The weather. Nasty thunderstorms through here yesterday, was 70 degrees....gonna snow flurry tonight!
      March 2, 2017 6:08 PM MST

• Thanks, Angela. 
      March 2, 2017 8:19 PM MST

• The Oroville dam up North. What a mess!

March 2, 2017 6:10 PM MST

• What a mess! I hadn't heard about it. Just read the SF Chronicle's report God knows what they'll do about it quickly but that's an enormous amount of water to lose. 
      March 2, 2017 8:21 PM MST

• My local news network is very anti-Trump so every article I've seen (I get it through social media) has been like the political questions of this site. However, the last interesting article I read was about The Elder Scrolls Online's first expansion pack. They are adding in a new kingdom to explore called Vvardenfell, Marrowind. Excited!!
    This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 3, 2017 6:16 AM MST
      March 2, 2017 6:11 PM MST

• That's gonna be big with the enthusiasts. Thanks, Corey.
      March 2, 2017 8:22 PM MST

• A little girl in one of our elementary schools will be singing the national anthem at a Rangers hockey game.
      March 2, 2017 6:15 PM MST

• Always nice to have a bright side to the news. Thanks, Flo.
      March 2, 2017 8:22 PM MST

• I guess it was a slow news day around here today Didge.
      March 2, 2017 9:07 PM MST

Well, tomorrow's Friday, so I'll tell you what's up this coming week. This week was spring cleaning. Got all the carpet cleaned (professionally) and hired someone to clean all the windows. Cleaned out my closet, art supplies, and moved stuff out into the garage. 
    Events going on that I know:
    1. Going to the beach for a few days with friends.
    2. There's a Dada Band Concert in Dallas.
    3. The rodeos in town. Would like to go see ZZ Top and Alicia Keys.
    4. The MFAH (museum) is having a huge exhibition with the works of Ron Mueck. I'm going later. It will be here until August. 
    5. Went a to a soccer game Tuesday. Fun!
    6. Then going to go stay with friends for a week. Don't know what we will do for fun. Probably barbecue. Busy time! Have a little time to write. Will paint later. 
      March 2, 2017 7:48 PM MST

• That's extraordinary, Margurerite. You have a very full live. :)
      March 2, 2017 8:24 PM MST

Well this is only interesting in a scary - what's happening to my community sort of way but lately a lot of people in my area are dying from Fentanel over doses and one of the plans on controlling it is to give the fentanel users free heroin. Cheers!
      March 2, 2017 8:26 PM MST

• Sounds nasty. 
      March 2, 2017 10:20 PM MST

The 30th annual home show is this weekend!

That really is the most interesting non political news story in my local area right now.  One of the local gyms is getting new scoreboards.  I think that's the second most interesting non political story in the news. 

Anyway my husband and I are definitely going to the home show!  Yay!

This post was edited by Livvie at March 3, 2017 1:10 PM MST
      March 2, 2017 9:45 PM MST

• Sounds like a better bet than the gym. :)
      March 2, 2017 10:21 PM MST

I ignore news until people care enough to post opinions. Sometimes it takes years for people to post enough that they start to make sense. I can't even believe what I hear about Trump because the opposition is bonkers. It might take weeks before I hear enough to figure out what they are actually talking about.
      March 2, 2017 10:37 PM MST